Finding Solutions to a Step Function Integral

In summary: I can't make any sense of it. What is the purpose of the 2nd set of brackets? What do the first set of brackets mean? What is the limit of integration (and why do you give it as a range of numbers)?In summary, the problem is to find all x>0 for which the integral of the greatest integer function of t squared from 0 to x is equal to 2(x-1). The solution involves graphing the function and realizing that the integral can only have a rational solution when x is an integer. The formula for summing the squares of integers is also relevant in this problem.
RandomGuy1

Homework Statement

This is from Apostol's Calculus Vol. 1. Exercise 1.15, problem 6.(c)

Find all x>0 for which the integral of [t]2 dt from 0 to x = 2(x-1)

Homework Equations

[t] represents the greatest integer function of t.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Integral of [t]2 dt from 0 to x = {x(x-1)(2x-1)}/6, which on equating with 2(x-1) gives x(2x-1) = 12 which does not have a rational solution. The answers given at the back of the textbook are 1 and 5/2. Can someone please give me a hint as to where I'm going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
RandomGuy1 said:

Homework Statement

This is from Apostol's Calculus Vol. 1. Exercise 1.15, problem 6.(c)

Find all x>0 for which the integral of [t]2 dt from 0 to x = 2(x-1)
Your notation really threw me off for a while. I think this is what you're trying to convey:
$$ \int_0^x \lfloor t \rfloor ^2 dt = 2(x - 1)$$
RandomGuy1 said:

Homework Equations

[t] represents the greatest integer function of t.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Integral of [t]2 dt from 0 to x = {x(x-1)(2x-1)}/6
No, it isn't. You can't just integrate ##\lfloor t ^2 \rfloor## as if it were the same thing as ##t^2##. Draw a sketch of ##y = \lfloor t ^2 \rfloor## and y = 2(t - 1) and compare the cumulative area under the graph of the integrand with the y values on the straight line graph.
RandomGuy1 said:
, which on equating with 2(x-1) gives x(2x-1) = 12 which does not have a rational solution. The answers given at the back of the textbook are 1 and 5/2. Can someone please give me a hint as to where I'm going wrong?

Yes, that was exactly what I was trying to say :) Sorry, I do not know how to use the definite integral symbol.

But but I'm supposed to be integrating [t]2 and not [t2] as you pointed out. Won't those two be different?

RandomGuy1 said:
Yes, that was exactly what I was trying to say :) Sorry, I do not know how to use the definite integral symbol.

But but I'm supposed to be integrating [t]2 and not [t2] as you pointed out. Won't those two be different?

(1) You don't need to know how to do a definite integral sign; you can just say something like int_{t=0..x} [t]^2 dt or int([t]^2 dt, t=0..x). That would be perfectly clear and would avoid the kind of confusion I was victim to when I first tried to read your message. Or you could have said that "the integral of [t]^2 from 0 to x is equal to 2x-1"---that would also have been clear. Saying "...x = 2x-1" is maximally confusing.
(2) Yes, [t^2] and [t]^2 are very different.

This is, as you say, a step function. It's graph is just a series of horizontal lines and its integral, the area under the graph, is just the sum of areas of rectangles. The first thing you should do is draw the graph. If x is from 0 to 1, [x]= 0 so [x]2= 0. If x is from 1 to 2, [x]= 1 so [x]2= 1. If x is from 2 to 3, [x]= 2 so [x]2= 4, etc.

RandomGuy1 said:
In this problem, the formula for summing the squares of integers is only relevant when [itex] x [/itex] is an integer. And when [itex] x [/itex] is an integer, I think you are "off by 1". For example, as I understand the symbol "[t]^2" in this problem, when [itex] 4 < t < 5 [/itex] , [itex] [t]^2 = [4]^2 = 16 [/itex]. So the area involved in [itex] \int_0^5 [t]^2 dt [/itex] does not include a rectangle with height 25. The areas to be summed are [itex] (1)(0^2)+(1)(1^2) + (1)(2^2) + (1)(3^3) + (1)(4^2) [/itex].

If the upper limit of integration is between two integers you must sum the squares of the whole rectangles involved in the are and then add the area of the fraction of the rectangle at the end to the sum.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Saying "...x = 2x-1" is maximally confusing.
Absolutely, as is the one below.
RandomGuy1 said:

1. What is a step function?

A step function is a type of mathematical function that has a constant value within specific intervals, and the value changes abruptly at the boundaries between intervals. It is also known as a staircase function or a Heaviside function.

2. How is a step function represented?

A step function is typically represented using a piecewise function, where the value of the function changes at specific points. It can also be represented using the unit step function notation, u(x), which has a value of 0 for x < 0 and a value of 1 for x ≥ 0.

3. What is the purpose of integrating step functions?

The integration of step functions allows us to find the area under the curve of the function. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating the total distance traveled when velocity changes at specific points or determining the total cost of a product with varying prices.

4. How is the integration of step functions performed?

The integration of step functions is performed by breaking down the function into smaller intervals and using the properties of integrals to find the area under each interval. The sum of all these areas gives us the total area under the curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrating step functions?

The integration of step functions is commonly used in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields to solve problems involving rates of change. For example, in physics, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, and in economics, it can be used to determine the demand for a product with varying prices.