Finding subpages without links

• Thread starter patrickbotros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    links
In summary: However, if the directory contains an index.html or similar file, you will always get that. If the directory listings are disabled, and there is no index.html, you will get an "access denied" message or something similar.
patrickbotros
I'm wondering if there's a way to find all the subpages on a website even if the mainpages don't have any links to them. I bet you could keep guessing the names of the subpages but that would take forever.

Technology news on Phys.org
patrickbotros said:
I'm wondering if there's a way to find all the subpages on a website even if the mainpages don't have any links to them. I bet you could keep guessing the names of the subpages but that would take forever.
I don't think there is a way to do this without knowing the file structure of the web site.

You can sometimes find files by "backwhacking" a URL, that is, entering partial URLS corresponding to (sub)directories (folders), with a slash at the end. If an Apache server is configured to allow directory listings and a directory does not contain an index.html file (or whatever other files the server recognizes as "index files" e.g. index.php), this will give you a listing of the files in that directory.

However, if the directory contains an index.html or similar file, you will always get that. If the directory listings are disabled, and there is no index.html, you will get an "access denied" message or something similar.

An additional really simple tool for finding pages on a site is to do a search like:
"doctor who" site:physicsforums.com
on Google. Google will index pages not linked to on the main page if they are linked to elsewhere on the net, so if a page here talked about Doctor Who and was not indexed from any page, it could still show up if another page linked to it. (Edit: At least they used to, I haven't tried it lately)

jtbell said:
You can sometimes find files by "backwhacking" a URL, that is, entering partial URLS corresponding to (sub)directories (folders), with a slash at the end. If an Apache server is configured to allow directory listings and a directory does not contain an index.html file (or whatever other files the server recognizes as "index files" e.g. index.php), this will give you a listing of the files in that directory.

However, if the directory contains an index.html or similar file, you will always get that. If the directory listings are disabled, and there is no index.html, you will get an "access denied" message or something similar.
How?

jtbell said:
If an Apache server is configured to allow directory listings
Unlikely in this day & age.

patrickbotros said:
How?

How what, exactly? :oldconfused:

1. Why is it important to find subpages without links?

Finding subpages without links is important because it allows you to identify hidden or orphaned pages on your website. These pages may not be easily accessible to visitors and can affect the overall user experience and navigation of your site. It also helps in optimizing your website for search engines, as having a clear and well-connected site structure can improve your search engine rankings.

2. How can I find subpages without links?

There are a few ways to find subpages without links. One way is to use a website crawler or spider tool that can scan your website and provide a list of all pages without any inbound or outbound links. Another way is to manually check your website's sitemap or use a website auditing tool to identify any pages with no links.

3. What are the potential reasons for having subpages without links?

There can be several reasons for having subpages without links. It could be due to an outdated or broken link, a page that was recently added and not yet linked to other pages, or a page intentionally kept hidden from the main navigation. It could also be a result of website redesigns or changes in site structure.

4. How can I fix subpages without links?

If you have identified subpages without links on your website, you can fix them by adding internal links from other pages on your site. This will help visitors and search engines discover and access these pages. You can also add these pages to your website's navigation menu or include them in related content sections to increase their visibility.

5. Are there any drawbacks to having subpages without links?

Having subpages without links can potentially harm your website's user experience and SEO. Visitors may have difficulty finding these pages, and they may also not be indexed by search engines if they are not connected to other pages. It is essential to regularly check and fix any subpages without links on your website to ensure a smooth and optimized browsing experience for your visitors.