Finding Tensions and Accelerations with Moveable Pulley

• Thread starter ryao3688
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary: But what about the moveable pulley?In summary, the moveable pulley should be included in the equations for the tensions on either side of it.
ryao3688
(Moved to the homework section by moderator.)

Please see the image. My confusion is with a moveable pulley. Can I just do my balances on both 1kg and 2kg masses disregarding the acceleration of the pulley? Here are my eqns. Object numbers 1, 2 and 3 denote the 3kg, 1kg and 2 kg weights. 4 is the moveable pulley. T1 is the string on the upper left, T2 for the lower right string tension. Let's say up is neg, down is positive.

ma = sum of F's for all

m1a1 = m1g - T1
m2a2 = m2g - T2
m3a3 = m3g - T2
m4a4 = 2T2 - T1 + m4g

But I know that a1= -a4 and a2= -a3 since if the pulley moves one way with an object, the other one must travel in opposite direction with same acceleration.

You sub that in, you get four eqns and four unknowns and I can easily solve. But my confusion is really with that moveable pulley. I included its weight in the eqn. Do I need to include its acceleration into objects 2 and 3? Did I make any mistake? Thanks.

Attachments

• physics prob.jpg
    physics prob.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 448
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ryao3688 said:
Can I just do my balances on both 1kg and 2kg masses disregarding the acceleration of the pulley?
Yes and no. Write down the various tensions. That are the things that are the same on both sides of a pulley (why ?!). Tensions and gravity determine accelerations (there are no other forces acting).

You can practice on the easier case (3kg on left, 1 mass of 4kg on right).

Likes ryao3688
ryao3688 said:
a2= -a3
Hmm... Your accelerations are all in the lab frame, right?

(I do not like this question. It includes a pulley of significant mass, which will accelerate rotationally, but the radius is not given. It would be better if it were a light pulley with a 1kg mass suspended from the pulley's axle.)

Likes ryao3688, Chestermiller and BvU
Haru's Hmm... is a well-placed hint. (Much more useful than my yesno :-)

I agree with his criticism on the exercise composer, but it may be understandable if the moments of inertia and/or the angular accelerations need to be ignored -- for example because they haven't been treated yet at the current location in the textbook.

Likes ryao3688
Sorry for so many accelerations - I think I realized now that you could just set up your axes for your coordinates system differently on each side of the string, rather than just set up one axis and change the sign of the acceleration (right now I treat everything down as pos, up as neg).

I think I've got it now Haru. The a's in the second and third equation should have both itself and acceleration from the pulley since the whole frame is moving?
Keep the first and fourth eqn. Replace those second and third equations with:
m2(a2+a4)=m2g-T2
m3(a3+a4)=m3g-T2

Does this look better? And here again, a2= -a3, a weight should go up and the other should go down evenly since the length of string is 1:1, acceleration is directly proportional to length. Or I could've just flipped the directions around instead of dealing with so many accelerations.

Likes BvU
ryao3688 said:
Sorry for so many accelerations - I think I realized now that you could just set up your axes for your coordinates system differently on each side of the string, rather than just set up one axis and change the sign of the acceleration (right now I treat everything down as pos, up as neg).

I think I've got it now Haru. The a's in the second and third equation should have both itself and acceleration from the pulley since the whole frame is moving?
Keep the first and fourth eqn. Replace those second and third equations with:
m2(a2+a4)=m2g-T2
m3(a3+a4)=m3g-T2

Does this look better? And here again, a2= -a3, a weight should go up and the other should go down evenly since the length of string is 1:1, acceleration is directly proportional to length. Or I could've just flipped the directions around instead of dealing with so many accelerations.
Yes, that's the way.

1. What is a moveable pulley?

A moveable pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable wrapped around it. It is designed to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift heavy objects.

2. How does a moveable pulley work?

A moveable pulley works by distributing the weight of an object between two or more ropes or cables. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object, making it easier to move.

3. How do I find tensions and accelerations with a moveable pulley?

To find the tensions and accelerations with a moveable pulley, you will need to use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of mechanical advantage. You will also need to know the weight of the object being lifted, the number of ropes or cables supporting it, and the angle of the ropes or cables.

4. What are some real-life applications of moveable pulleys?

Moveable pulleys are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as cranes, elevators, and sailboats. They are also commonly used in weightlifting equipment and in the construction industry to lift heavy materials.

5. What are the advantages of using a moveable pulley?

The main advantage of using a moveable pulley is that it can reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. This makes it easier and more efficient to move heavy objects. Moveable pulleys are also simple and inexpensive machines, making them a popular choice in many industries.