Finding the apparent acceleration due to gravity versus latitude

In summary, the conversation involves solving a force balance equation for apparent gravity, which is defined as the net force per unit mass. There is some discussion about the equations used and the direction of the force balance, as well as finding an expression for g. Ultimately, it is clarified that the apparent force is made up of the normal force and the component of the centrifugal force tangential to Earth's surface.
pandafish
Homework Statement
A mass at rest on the surface of the earth at latitude λ , experiences a reaction from the earth that consists of a normal component S per unit mass and a tangential frictional component F per unit mass, directed towards a point vertically above the north pole. The earth is assumed to be a uniform sphere of radius R and mass M rotating with an angular velocity ω about its axis. How is the magnitude and direction of the apparent ’acceleration due to gravity’ g , acting on the mass at latitude , related to these forces?

Show that:

$$g^2 = [\frac{GM}{R^2}-R\omega^2cos^2\lambda]^2 + [\frac{1}{2}\omega^2Rsin2\lambda]^2$$
Relevant Equations
$$g=-\frac{GMm}{R^2}$$
I began by drawing a diagram and resolving the forces. Since the question asked for 'apparent gravity' I tried to find the normal force.

I started with the equations:

$$\\(\frac{GM}{R^2}-N)sin\lambda-Fsin\lambda=m\omega^2Rcos\lambda$$
$$\\(\frac{GM}{R^2}-N)sin\lambda-Fcos\lambda=0$$

Solving simultaneously, I ended up with:

$$\\N=\frac{GM}{R^2}-R\omega^2cos^2\lambda$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pandafish said:
$$\\(\frac{GM}{R^2}-N)sin\lambda-Fsin\lambda=m\omega^2Rcos\lambda$$
The terms on the left cannot both be sine. F is tangential while the other force sum is radial. I don’t think having trig terms both sides is right either.
Which direction do you intend this force balance to be in?

My bad, its suppose to be:

$$\\(\frac{GM}{R^2}-N)cos\lambda+Fsin\lambda=m\omega^2Rcos\lambda$$

This force balance is suppose to be perpendicular to the axis of Earth's rotation.

Last edited:
pandafish said:
My bad, its suppose to be:

$$\\(\frac{GM}{R^2}-N)cos\lambda+Fsin\lambda=m\omega^2Rcos\lambda$$

This force balance is suppose to be perpendicular to the axis of Earth's rotation.
Then why the cos on the right?

haruspex said:
Then why the cos on the right?
The right side is the centripetal acceleration,

$$a = \frac{v^2}{r} = \omega^2r$$

I believe r is distance from the mass to the earth's axis of rotation, so

$$a = \omega^2(Rcos\lambda)$$

I made a mistake by including mass on the right.

pandafish said:
The right side is the centripetal acceleration,

$$a = \frac{v^2}{r} = \omega^2r$$

I believe r is distance from the mass to the earth's axis of rotation, so

$$a = \omega^2(Rcos\lambda)$$

I made a mistake by including mass on the right.
Sorry, I read R as though it was r.

You need an expression for g. Note how the problem statement defines g. It is not as used in your "relevant equation".

Likes scottdave
I see what you mean. Working backwards from the solution, I realised that the 'apparent gravitational acceleration' was made up from the normal force , and the component of the centrifugal force tangential to Earth's surface. However, I'm don't quite understand why this is the case.

pandafish said:
I see what you mean. Working backwards from the solution, I realised that the 'apparent gravitational acceleration' was made up from the normal force , and the component of the centrifugal force tangential to Earth's surface. However, I'm don't quite understand why this is the case.
Consider a mass placed on the surface. Apparent gravity is the net force per unit mass. This corresponds to the weight that would be recorded by a conventional weighing machine.

Likes scottdave and pandafish
Thank you, that explanation makes it a lot clearer what the apparent force is.

1. What is the apparent acceleration due to gravity?

The apparent acceleration due to gravity is the perceived acceleration of an object towards the Earth due to the combined effect of the Earth's gravitational pull and the centrifugal force caused by the Earth's rotation.

2. How is the apparent acceleration due to gravity affected by latitude?

The apparent acceleration due to gravity is affected by latitude because the Earth's shape is not perfectly spherical, causing a variation in the distance between an object and the Earth's center. This, in turn, affects the strength of the Earth's gravitational pull on the object.

3. How is the apparent acceleration due to gravity measured?

The apparent acceleration due to gravity can be measured using a gravimeter, which is a device that measures the gravitational force between an object and the Earth. This force is then used to calculate the apparent acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the relationship between latitude and the apparent acceleration due to gravity?

The relationship between latitude and the apparent acceleration due to gravity is inversely proportional. This means that as latitude increases, the apparent acceleration due to gravity decreases, and vice versa.

5. Why is it important to study the apparent acceleration due to gravity versus latitude?

Studying the apparent acceleration due to gravity versus latitude is important because it helps us better understand the Earth's shape and the distribution of mass within the Earth. It also has practical applications in fields such as geology, geophysics, and navigation.