Finding the Area of a shaded region (two shapes)

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the shaded area of a shape using the area of a circular sector and the area of an isosceles triangle. The value of theta in radians is used to solve the problem and the final answer is approximately 818.4 in^2.
Coder74
Hello,
I've done something similar to this before but this question is really different because it contains two shapes. Now I'm really confused and I really appreciate the help~! View attachment 6004

-Cheers

Attachments

• Shaded Region.JPG
    Shaded Region.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 65
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would take the area of the circular sector $A_S$ and subtract from that the area of the isosceles triangle $A_T$ to get the shaded area $A$:

\(\displaystyle A=A_S-A_T\)

where:

\(\displaystyle A_S=\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta\) where $\theta$ is in radians.

\(\displaystyle A_T=\frac{1}{2}r^2\sin(\theta)\)

Can you proceed?

Thanks for the reply, Mark I really appreciate it!
However, I'm unfamiliar with " \theta " I haven't seen that before.

Coder74 said:
Thanks for the reply, Mark I really appreciate it!
However, I'm unfamiliar with " \theta " I haven't seen that before.

It is a Greek letter usually used to represent angles. In this problem, we have:

\(\displaystyle \theta=150^{\circ}=\frac{5}{6}\pi\)

Thanks again, Mark!

Triangle AT=193.21
Sphere AS=1,011.64
Shaded Area=818.43

This is what my final answers came up to be.

I get:

\(\displaystyle A=A_S-A_T=\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta-\frac{1}{2}r^2\sin(\theta)=\frac{1}{2}r^2\left(\theta-\sin(\theta)\right)\)

Now plug in the given values for $r$ and $\theta$:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}(27.8\text{ in})^2\left(\frac{5}{6}\pi-\frac{1}{2}\right)=\frac{1}{12}(27.8\text{ in})^2\left(5\pi-3\right)\approx818.4\text{ in}^2\quad\checkmark\)

1. How do I find the area of a shaded region when there are two shapes overlapping?

To find the area of a shaded region that involves two overlapping shapes, you need to first identify the individual shapes that make up the region. Then, you can use the formula for finding the area of each shape separately, and subtract the overlapping area from one of the shapes. Finally, add the two areas together to get the total area of the shaded region.

2. Is there a specific formula for finding the area of a shaded region with two shapes?

There is no specific formula for finding the area of a shaded region with two shapes. However, you can use the formula for finding the area of each individual shape and then adjust for any overlapping area.

3. Do I need to know the measurements of both shapes to find the area of the shaded region?

Yes, you will need to know the measurements of both shapes in order to find the area of the shaded region. This includes the length, width, and any other relevant measurements, such as the radius of a circle.

4. Can I use different units of measurement for the two shapes when finding the area of a shaded region?

No, you will need to use the same units of measurement for both shapes when finding the area of a shaded region. If the shapes are measured in different units, you will need to convert them to the same unit before calculating the area.

5. Is there an easier way to find the area of a shaded region with two shapes?

There is no easier way to find the area of a shaded region with two shapes. However, you can break down the problem into smaller, simpler steps by finding the area of each individual shape first and then adjusting for any overlapping area. Practice and familiarizing yourself with the formulas for finding the area of different shapes can also make the process easier.