Finding the center of mass of a homogeneous object

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the center of mass of an object divided into three rectangles. The speaker made a mistake when calculating the area for the second rectangle, resulting in a different solution than the one given in the book. The issue was identified and resolved with the help of another person.
Lone Wolf
Homework Statement
Find the coordinates of the center of mass of the object represented in the figure.
Relevant Equations
Equation of the center of mass.
The object is:

My attempt at a solution:
I divided the object into 3 different rectangles and found the coordinates for the center of mass of each one, considering the origin at point "O".

Then I found the mass of each rectangle, assuming the object has an area density of σ.
m1 = 15σ; m2= 6σ; m3 = 8σ.
After that I applied the center of mass position equation for x and y coordinates.
rx = (r1x*m1+r2x*m2+r3x*m3)/(m1+m2+m3) = (0.75*15σ+2.25*6σ+3.5*8σ)/(29σ) = 1.82
ry = (5*15σ + 9*6σ + 1*8σ)/(29σ) = 4.72
So the coordinates of the center of mass would be (1.82, 4.72).
However the solutions given are: (1.77, 4.23). Please help me figure out what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your area for m2. Looks like that may be the issue.

ChemAir said:
So you are suggesting that 2x4 is not equal to 8?

Near as I can tell your mistake is thinking that the book has the right answer and you don't.

phinds said:
So you are suggesting that 2x4 is not equal to 8?

No. I see BC(2)x CD(1.5 ) = 3. OP says 6.

And the arithmetic worked out afterward, rx=1.769... I didn't check ry.

But I was eating lunch, and I could have missed something.

ChemAir said:
No. I see BC(2)x CD(1.5 ) = 3. OP says 6.
Ah. My bad. I was looking at M3 even though you clearly said M2.

Interestingly (and embarassingly) enough, I made exactly the same mistake which is why I thought he had the right answer.o:)

ChemAir said:
Yeah that was it. Looks like I got distracted while I was solving the problem. Thanks for spotting my mistake!

Likes ChemAir

1. What is the center of mass of an object?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. How do you find the center of mass of a homogeneous object?

To find the center of mass of a homogeneous object, you need to divide the object into smaller, simpler shapes (such as rectangles or triangles). Then, calculate the individual center of mass for each shape and use those values to find the overall center of mass for the entire object.

3. Why is it important to find the center of mass of an object?

Finding the center of mass of an object is important because it helps to understand how the object will behave in certain situations, such as when it is being moved or when external forces act upon it. It is also a key concept in physics and engineering calculations.

4. Can the center of mass be located outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be located outside of an object. This can happen if the object has an irregular shape or if it is made up of multiple parts with varying densities. In these cases, the center of mass will still be the point at which the overall mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated.

5. Does the center of mass change if an object is rotated or moved?

No, the center of mass of an object does not change if the object is rotated or moved, as long as the mass distribution remains the same. This means that even if the object is in motion, its center of mass will remain constant.