Find the centre of mass of the system?

In summary, the three disks in the system have diameters of 1.0 m, 2.0 m, and 3.0 m and are made of the same material. To determine the location of the center of mass, the equation xcm=mx1+mx2+mx3/m1+m2+m3 is used. After finding the masses of each disk by using the area of a circle formula, the locations of their centers of mass are determined in terms of the radius. The first disk's center of mass is at x=r, the second is at x=2r, and the third is at x=4.5r. By substituting these values into the formula
emily081715

Homework Statement

All three disks are made of sheet metal of the same material, and the diameters are 1.0 m , 2.0 m , and3.0 m . Assume that the x-axis has its origin at the left-most point of the left-most object and it points to the right.Determine the location of the center of mass of the system shown below .
Mazur1e.ch6.p38.jpg

Homework Equations

xcm=mx1+mx2+mx3/m1+m2+m3

The Attempt at a Solution

so we were never shown how to do a question like this, so i am very lost on where to begin, and need to find an answer for my mastering physics assignment.
i used the area of a circle (πr2) to find the mass of each object. I found the radius by dividing the given diameters by two.
m1=0.78593 kg
m2=3.14159 kg
m3=7.06858 kg
using theses masses i plugged values into the equation xcm=mx1+mx2+mx3/m1+m2+m3
xcm=0.78593(0.5)+3.14159(1)+ 7.06858(1.5)/0.78593+3.14159+7.06858
xcm=1.3m

Physics news on Phys.org
In determining the center of mass from the formula, the values of x1, x2, and x3 are not the radius of each disc. What distances do each represent?

is it the diameter?

emily081715 said:
is it the diameter?

PhanthomJay said:
In determining the center of mass from the formula, the values of x1, x2, and x3 are not the radius of each disc. What distances do each represent?
the x in the equation is the centre of mass, would this not just be half the diameter of the circle

It's probably best to work symbolically rather than trying to plug in (and lug around) decimal numbers.

Define the radius of the first circle to be r and its mass to be M. You know that the radius is directly proportional to the diameter (D = 2r after all), and that mass varies with the area which varies as the square of the radius. So if the first disk has mass M, what's the mass of the second disk in terms of M? And the third? Next pencil in the locations of their centers of mass in terms of r.

gneill said:
It's probably best to work symbolically rather than trying to plug in (and lug around) decimal numbers.

Define the radius of the first circle to be r and its mass to be M. You know that the radius is directly proportional to the diameter (D = 2r after all), and that mass varies with the area which varies as the square of the radius. So if the first disk has mass M, what's the mass of the second disk in terms of M? And the third? Next pencil in the locations of their centers of mass in terms of r.
Your reply confused me. I'm unsure how to do what you asked

emily081715 said:
the x in the equation is the centre of mass, would this not just be half the diameter of the circle
no , you are trying to find the center of mass of the entire three disk system. The center of mass of each disk is at its center. You need to determine the distance of each center from a chosen point when calculating x1 , x2, and x3

emily081715 said:
Your reply confused me. I'm unsure how to do what you asked
Okay, if the first disk has radius r and mass M, and if mass is proportional to r2, then if the next disk in line has a radius 2r it's mass must be 4M. Let's do that in detail:

Suppose the density per unit area is ##\rho##. Then for radius ##r## the mass is ##M = \rho \pi r^2##. If we double the radius we find:

##M_2 = \rho \pi (2r)^2 = \rho \pi 4 r^2 = 4(\rho \pi r^2) = 4M##

The mass goes as the square of the radius, so double the radius yields four times the mass. Triple the radius and what do you get for the mass?

PhanthomJay said:
no , you are trying to find the center of mass of the entire three disk system. The center of mass of each disk is at its center. You need to determine the distance of each center from a chosen point when calculating x1 , x2, and x3
I'm sorry can you explain that again.

What are the x coordinates of the centers of those disks?

I like Serena said:
What are the x coordinates of the centers of those disks?
wouldn't the first one behalf way through the first circle which would be 0.5. would that make the second one 1.5 and the third be 2.5?

gneill said:
Okay, if the first disk has radius r and mass M, and if mass is proportional to r2, then if the next disk in line has a radius 2r it's mass must be 4M. Let's do that in detail:

Suppose the density per unit area is ##\rho##. Then for radius ##r## the mass is ##M = \rho \pi r^2##. If we double the radius we find:

##M_2 = \rho \pi (2r)^2 = \rho \pi 4 r^2 = 4(\rho \pi r^2) = 4M##

The mass goes as the square of the radius, so double the radius yields four times the mass. Triple the radius and what do you get for the mass?
9M?

emily081715 said:
wouldn't the first one behalf way through the first circle which would be 0.5. would that make the second one 1.5 and the third be 2.5?

Let's make a drawing:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14301878/Math/mass_center_3_disks.png
See what x1, x2, and x3 must be?

Last edited by a moderator:
emily081715 said:
9M?
Yup!

Next list the locations of the disk's centers of mass in terms of multiples of r:

upload_2016-10-9_11-8-21.png

I like Serena said:
Let's make a drawing:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14301878/Math/mass_center_3_disks.svg
See what x1, x2, and x3 must be?
x1=0.5
x2=2
x3=4.5

Last edited by a moderator:
gneill said:
Yup!

Next list the locations of the disk's centers of mass in terms of multiples of r:

View attachment 107188
3r
9r?

emily081715 said:
3r
9r?
Nope. Use the diagram I provided. You should be able to count off the r's. The first one is located at x = r.

emily081715 said:
x1=0.5
x2=2
x3=4.5

Correct!
Substitute in the formula with the masses you already had and presto.
(Those masses effectively assume a density of 1, but that is okay'ish, since we're dividing again by the mass anyway.)

gneill said:
Nope. Use the diagram I provided. You should be able to count off the r's. The first one is located at x = r.
15r, 25r?

emily081715 said:
15r, 25r?
I don't see how you're getting those numbers. What's the width (diameter) of the first disk in terms of r? How about the second disk? The center of mass of the second disk is located at the center of the second disk. How many r's is that from the origin? Should should be able to add up the r lengths from the origin to the center of the second disk. Do the same for the third disk.

gneill said:
I don't see how you're getting those numbers. What's the width (diameter) of the first disk in terms of r? How about the second disk? The center of mass of the second disk is located at the center of the second disk. How many r's is that from the origin? Should should be able to add up the r lengths from the origin to the center of the second disk. Do the same for the third disk.
thank you for the help, i reached the answer. its 3.5 m

Hope I'm not giving bad advice but, due to laziness, I'd denominate the x-axis in metres (as per post #14), not r.

David Lewis said:
Hope I'm not giving bad advice but, due to laziness, I'd denominate the x-axis in metres (as per post #14), not r.
I just find it easier to manipulate values symbolically rather than push around a lot of decimal places. It's also much easier to find errors in the algebra that way; numbers tend to lose their identity in a long formula and are subject to copying errors over the course of a derivation.

1. What is the centre of mass of a system?

The centre of mass of a system is a point where the mass of the entire system can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the system would balance if it were placed on a fulcrum.

2. Why is it important to find the centre of mass of a system?

Finding the centre of mass of a system is important because it helps determine the overall stability and balance of the system. It is also useful in analyzing the motion and behavior of the system.

3. How is the centre of mass of a system calculated?

The centre of mass of a system can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses in the system, where the weights are the respective distances from a chosen reference point.

4. Can the centre of mass be outside the physical boundaries of the system?

Yes, the centre of mass can be outside the physical boundaries of the system. This can happen if the distribution of mass within the system is not symmetrical.

5. How does the centre of mass affect the stability of a system?

The closer the centre of mass is to the base of a system, the more stable the system will be. This is because the centre of mass will be less likely to shift and cause the system to become unbalanced.