Finding the Closest Match to a Theoretical Curve

In summary, the speaker has been tasked with matching an upper theoretical curve to the upper experimental part. They have attempted to do this by changing a single parameter in the equation used to generate the theoretical curve, resulting in the sum of the differences between observed and theoretical values being minimized. They have tried this method in Excel and have shown the results in a picture. The speaker is wondering if there is a better method to match the upper part of the curve more closely and if a formal procedure exists for attaching weights to each point. They also consider ignoring the bottom part of the curve and doing a least squares regression on the upper part only. They ask for any input or advice on this matter.
stats_student
Hi guys, i have been tasked with matching the upper a theoretical curve (seen in the picture-blue) to the upper experimental part. So far in an attempt to do this i have tried changing a single parameter in the equation i used to generate the theoretical curve, so that the sum of the differences between each observed and theoretical value is minimized.

as an example - my calculations are as follows:

(O1-T1)^2 = x
(O2-T2)^2 = y

where O and T stand for observed and theoretical. I then have summed x & y and then in excel change my parameter in the equation until x+y is minimized.

the results i get are shown in the picture.

I'm just wondering if there is a better method at getting the upper part of my curve to match as closely as possible.
Also keep in mind I'm allowed to change any of the parameters in the equation i have used.

any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 341
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh also the equation i have used is also shown in the picture.

i was thinking maybe a method where i attach weights to each point so that the upper part of the curve is matched more closely? Does a formal procedure for that exist?

Or perhaps i could ignore the bottom part of my curve and do a least squares regression on the upper part only?
not really sure if I'm thinking about this the right way.
any input would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Related to Finding the Closest Match to a Theoretical Curve

1. How do you determine the closest match to a theoretical curve?

The closest match to a theoretical curve is determined by calculating the sum of squared differences between the data points and the theoretical curve. The curve with the smallest sum of squared differences is considered the closest match.

2. Can the closest match to a theoretical curve be an exact match?

In most cases, the closest match to a theoretical curve will not be an exact match. This is because there may be inherent errors or deviations in the data that prevent an exact match from occurring. However, the closest match will be the best possible fit to the theoretical curve based on the available data.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of finding the closest match to a theoretical curve?

The accuracy of finding the closest match to a theoretical curve can be affected by the quality of the data, the complexity of the theoretical curve, and the method used to calculate the match (e.g. linear regression, nonlinear regression, etc.). Additionally, any errors or inconsistencies in the data can also impact the accuracy of the match.

4. How can you visualize the closest match to a theoretical curve?

The closest match to a theoretical curve can be visualized by plotting the data points and the theoretical curve on a graph. This allows for a visual comparison of the data and the curve, making it easier to identify the closest match.

5. Is it possible to have multiple closest matches to a theoretical curve?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple closest matches to a theoretical curve. This can occur when there are multiple data points that are equally close to the curve, resulting in multiple possible matches. In such cases, further analysis and consideration may be needed to determine the best fit curve.