Finding the Coefficient Ratio of a Binomial Expansion Problem

In summary: I don't see how the solution wrote $A_{2n-r}$ instead of $A_r$....I think it's just a matter of notation. We can rewrite the original sum as $\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_rx^{2n-r}$. Then, after the substitution, we get $A_{r-n}\left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^{n-r}x^{2n-r}=A_{2n-r}\left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^{n-r}x^{r-n}$. But since the summation variable is $r$, we can rewrite it as $A_{2n-r}\left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^
Saitama
Problem:
Let $\displaystyle (3x^2+2x+c)^{12}=\sum_{r=0}^{24} A_rx^r$ and $\dfrac{A_{19}}{A_5}=\dfrac{1}{2^7}$, then $c$ is

A)4
B)5
C)6
D)7

Attempt:
One way I know of to solve such a problem is by using the multinomial theorem but I am reluctant to use it here. It would take a lot of time to write down all the combinations and perform the calculations if I use multinomial theorem. Since this is an exam problem, I feel there exists a much better method.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Problem:
Let $\displaystyle (3x^2+2x+c)^{12}=\sum_{r=0}^{24} A_rx^r$ and $\dfrac{A_{19}}{A_5}=\dfrac{1}{2^7}$, then $c$ is

A)4
B)5
C)6
D)7

Attempt:
One way I know of to solve such a problem is by using the multinomial theorem but I am reluctant to use it here. It would take a lot of time to write down all the combinations and perform the calculations if I use multinomial theorem. Since this is an exam problem, I feel there exists a much better method.

Hi Pranav,:)

I don't know if my way of attacking this problem looks easy (or the other way round) to you, but I think I will post my solution here...:eek:

$\displaystyle (3x^2+2x+c)^{12}=(3x^2+(2x+c))^{12}=\sum_{n=0}^{12} {12\choose n} (3x^2)^n(2x+c)^{12-n}$

Now, in order to collect all coefficients of $x^{19}$, we only need to consider the cases when $n=7,\,8,\,9$ (we could tell these are the only cases we need to take care if we think of the term $(3x^2)^n$:

$n$The term associates with $x^{19}$
$n=7$${12\choose 7}\cdot 3^7\cdot{5\choose 0}\cdot2^{5} \cdot c^0\cdot x^{19}=25344(3^7)x^{19}$
$n=8$${12\choose 8}\cdot 3^8\cdot{4\choose 1}\cdot2^{3} \cdot c^1\cdot x^{19}=47520(3^7)cx^{19}$
$n=9$${12\choose 9}\cdot 3^9\cdot{3\choose 2}\cdot2^{1} \cdot c^2\cdot x^{19}=11880(3^7)c^2x^{19}$

Now, in order to collect all coefficients of $x^{5}$, we only need to consider the cases when $n=0,\,1,\,2$ (similarly, we could tell these are the only cases if we think of the term $(3x^2)^n$:

$n$The term associates with $x^{5}$
$n=0$${12\choose 0} \cdot{12\choose 7}\cdot 2^{5} \cdot c^7\cdot x^{5}=25344(c^7)x^{5}$
$n=1$${12\choose 1}\cdot 3^1\cdot{11\choose 8}\cdot2^{3} \cdot c^8\cdot x^{5}=47520(c^8)x^{5}$
$n=2$${12\choose 2}\cdot 3^2\cdot{10\choose 9}\cdot2^{1} \cdot c^9\cdot x^{5}=11880(c^9)x^{5}$

Since we're told $\dfrac{A_{19}}{A_5}=\dfrac{1}{2^7}$ and from our working, we have

$\begin{align*}\dfrac{A_{19}}{A_5}&=\dfrac{25344(3^7)+47520(3^7)c+11880(3^7)c^2}{25344(c^7)+47520(c^8)+11880(c^9)}\\&=\dfrac{(3^7)(25344+47520c+11880c^2)}{(c^7)(25344+47520c+11880c^2}\\&=\dfrac{3^7}{c^7}\end{align*}$

In other words, we obtain $\dfrac{A_{19}}{A_5}=\dfrac{1}{2^7}=\dfrac{3^7}{c^7}$ or simply, $c=6$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pranav said:
Problem:

A)4
B)5
C)6
D)7

Attempt:

Here is a very intuitive and incomplete way of thinking about this problem.

In the expansion of $(3x^2+2x+c)^{12}$, each term will be a multinomial multiple of $(3x^2)^\alpha(2x)^\beta c^\gamma$, where $\alpha + \beta + \gamma = 12$. For a term of degree $5$, you need $2\alpha + \beta =5$, and for a term of degree $19$, you need $2\alpha + \beta =19$. For each term of degree $5$, if you decrease $\gamma$ by $7$ and increase $\alpha$ by $7$, then you will get a term of degree $19$, and every term of degree $19$ arises in this way. But replacing a $\gamma$ by an $\alpha$ involves replacing a $c$ by a $3$. It follows that $A_{19} = \Bigl(\dfrac3c\Bigr)^{\!7}A_5.$ If this is equal to $\Bigl(\dfrac12\Bigr)^{\!7}$ then clearly $c=6$.

I suspect that the "much better method" that you are looking for must somehow run along those lines. I am not at all convinced by my argument as it stands (although as anemone has shown, it leads to the right answer). It relies on the fact that the degree of the polynomial is $5+19 = 24$, so that the multinomial coefficients in $A_5$ and $A_{19}$ are the same. And the fact that $19-5 = 14$, which is twice $7$, also seems to be significant. Maybe someone can rescue this approach and make it more convincing.

Thanks anemone and Opalg for the helpful replies. :)

But the method presented by anemone is still very long and involves a lot of calculations. If there is really no other way, I don't think its worth spending time on this problem during the exam where you have 30 questions for each of Physics, Chemistry and Maths and all are equally difficult. (Thinking)

EDIT: Ok, I asked for the given solution (to my friend from whom I borrowed the question paper) and here it goes:

$$(ax^2+bx+c)^n=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_rx^r$$
Putting $x=\frac{c}{ax}$, we get
$$(ax^2+bx+c)^n=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_{2n-r}\left( \frac{c}{a}\right)^{n-r}x^r$$

Hence, $\frac{A_r}{A_{2n-r}}=\left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^{n-r} \forall \,\,\,0\leq r\leq 2n$.

Put $r=19$,$n=12$, $a=3$
$$\Rightarrow \left(\frac{c}{3}\right)^{-7}=2^7 \Rightarrow c=6$$

I must be an idiot but I don't get even the first step the solution did. How did they arrive at the expression after the substitution? :confused:

Last edited:
Pranav said:
I must be an idiot but I don't get even the first step the solution did. How did they arrive at the expression after the substitution? :confused:

Hey Pranav!

I can follow the solution (but I can't tell you how to think of it :eek:).

The substitution is executed as:
\begin{aligned}
x^{2n-r} &= x^{n-r}x^n \\
&= \left(\frac c{ax}\right)^{n-r}x^n \\
&= \left(\frac c{a}\right)^{n-r}x^{r-n}x^n \\
&= \left(\frac c{a}\right)^{n-r}x^r \\
\end{aligned}

Hi ILS! Sorry for the delay in reply.

I like Serena said:
Hey Pranav!

I can follow the solution (but I can't tell you how to think of it :eek:).

The substitution is executed as:
\begin{aligned}
x^{2n-r} &= x^{n-r}x^n \\
&= \left(\frac c{ax}\right)^{n-r}x^n \\
&= \left(\frac c{a}\right)^{n-r}x^{r-n}x^n \\
&= \left(\frac c{a}\right)^{n-r}x^r \\
\end{aligned}

This is what I tried:

$$\left(a\frac{c^2}{a^2x^2}+\frac{bc}{ax}+c\right)^n=\sum_{r=0}^{2n}A_r\left(\frac{c}{ax}\right)^r$$

$$\Rightarrow \left(\frac{c^2+bcx+acx^2}{ax^2}\right)=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_r \left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^r\frac{1}{x^r}$$

$$\Rightarrow \left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^n \frac{1}{x^{2n}} \left(ax^2+bx+c\right)^n = \sum_{r=0}^{2n}A_r\left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^r\frac{1}{x^r}$$

$$\Rightarrow \left(ax^2+bx+c\right)^n=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_r \left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^{r-n} x^{2n-r}$$

I don't see how the solution wrote $A_{2n-r}$ instead of $A_r$. :confused:

Last edited:
Pranav said:
This is what I tried:

$$\left(a\frac{c^2}{a^2x^2}+\frac{bc}{ax}+c\right)^n=\sum_{r=0}^{2n}A_r\left(\frac{c}{ax}\right)^r$$

$$\Rightarrow \left(\frac{c^2+bcx+acx^2}{ax^2}\right)=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_r \left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^r\frac{1}{x^r}$$

$$\Rightarrow \left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^n \frac{1}{x^{2n}} \left(ax^2+bx+c\right)^n = \sum_{r=0}^{2n}A_r\left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^r\frac{1}{x^r}$$

$$\Rightarrow \left(ax^2+bx+c\right)^n=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_r \left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^{r-n} x^{2n-r}$$

If you make the substitution $s = 2n-r$ in the sum \(\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_r \left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^{r-n} x^{2n-r}\), then it becomes \(\displaystyle \sum_{s=0}^{2n} A_{2n-s} \left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^{n-s} x^s.\) Having done that, you can re-label the summation index as $r$ instead of $s$.

Pranav said:

Wait. Wait.
Let's walk through the solution step by step.

Pranav said:
$$(ax^2+bx+c)^n=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_rx^r$$

We can reverse the order of the summation to get:
$$\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_rx^r = \sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_{2n-r} x^{2n-r} \qquad (1)$$

Putting $x=\frac{c}{ax}$, we get
$$(ax^2+bx+c)^n=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_{2n-r}\left( \frac{c}{a}\right)^{n-r}x^r$$

Forget the left hand side. We're not doing anything with that.

We apply the substitution I mentioned earlier to get:
$$\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_{2n-r} x^{2n-r} = \sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_{2n-r} \left(\frac c a\right)^{n-r}x^r\qquad (2)$$

Combine (1) and (2) to find:
$$\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_rx^r = \sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_{2n-r} \left(\frac c a\right)^{n-r}x^r$$

Since the powers of $x$ must match left and right, we can tell that for each $r$ we have:
$$A_r = A_{2n-r} \left(\frac c a\right)^{n-r}$$

Then we can rewrite this as:

Hence, $\frac{A_r}{A_{2n-r}}=\left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^{n-r} \forall \,\,\,0\leq r\leq 2n$.

Finally, we get:

Put $r=19$,$n=12$, $a=3$
$$\Rightarrow \left(\frac{c}{3}\right)^{-7}=2^7 \Rightarrow c=6$$

Opalg said:
If you make the substitution $s = 2n-r$ in the sum \(\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_r \left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^{r-n} x^{2n-r}\), then it becomes \(\displaystyle \sum_{s=0}^{2n} A_{2n-s} \left(\frac{c}{a}\right)^{n-s} x^s.\) Having done that, you can re-label the summation index as $r$ instead of $s$.

Great! Thanks a lot Opalg! :D

It is very difficult to think of this solution during the exam.

I like Serena said:
Forget the left hand side. We're not doing anything with that.

We apply the substitution I mentioned earlier to get:
$$\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_{2n-r} x^{2n-r} = \sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_{2n-r} \left(\frac c a\right)^{n-r}x^r\qquad (2)$$

Combine (1) and (2) to find:
$$\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_rx^r = \sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_{2n-r} \left(\frac c a\right)^{n-r}x^r$$

Since the powers of $x$ must match left and right, we can tell that for each $r$ we have:
$$A_r = A_{2n-r} \left(\frac c a\right)^{n-r}$$

Very nicely explained, thanks a lot ILS! :)

Related to Finding the Coefficient Ratio of a Binomial Expansion Problem

What is the "ratio of coefficients"?

The ratio of coefficients refers to the relationship between the numerical values of two coefficients in a mathematical equation or formula. It is the result of dividing one coefficient by another.

Why is the ratio of coefficients important in scientific research?

In scientific research, the ratio of coefficients is important because it can help determine the strength of the relationship between two variables. It can also provide insight into the underlying mechanisms or processes involved in a phenomenon.

How is the ratio of coefficients calculated?

The ratio of coefficients is calculated by dividing the value of one coefficient by the value of another. For example, if the equation is y = 2x, the ratio of coefficients would be 2/1, or simply 2.

Can the ratio of coefficients be negative?

Yes, the ratio of coefficients can be negative. This indicates an inverse relationship between the two variables, where an increase in one variable results in a decrease in the other variable.

What is the significance of a ratio of coefficients that is equal to 1?

When the ratio of coefficients is equal to 1, it means that the two coefficients have a direct and proportional relationship. This can also be interpreted as a 100% increase or decrease in one variable resulting in a corresponding increase or decrease in the other variable.