Finding the components of a Cartesian vector

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a homework problem that involves calculating force components. The student has attached a picture of the problem and their attempted solution, but the computer is indicating that the answer is incorrect. The student is unsure about the signs and does not want to guess. The expert suggests contacting the instructor for clarification.
JON123

Homework Statement

Picture is attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I am right and the computer is wrong, but I just wanted to check here first. I attached a picture of the problem and my answer.

This is how I solved the problem:

Fz=750sin(45)=530.33N
F’=750cos(45)=530.33N
Fx=F’cos(60)=256.165N
Fy=F’sin(60)=-459.28N

So my answer was: F=(256.165i-459.28j+530.33k)N and it says it's wrong. When i first submitted it, it said check signs, but i don't want to just guess at the signs because it takes off points for wrong answers, and i would like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you calculated the components correctly. If the computer says you are wrong, maybe it expects a different format from the one you used. I think you should your instructor for clarifications.

Related to Finding the components of a Cartesian vector

What is a Cartesian vector?

A Cartesian vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the movement and forces of objects.

What are the components of a Cartesian vector?

The components of a Cartesian vector are the numerical values that represent its magnitude and direction along the x, y, and z axes in a three-dimensional coordinate system.

How do you find the components of a Cartesian vector?

To find the components of a Cartesian vector, you can use a method called vector resolution. This involves breaking down the vector into its x, y, and z components using trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem.

What is the difference between a Cartesian vector and a polar vector?

A Cartesian vector is described using Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) while a polar vector is described using polar coordinates (r, θ). In a Cartesian vector, the components represent the magnitude and direction along the coordinate axes, while in a polar vector, the magnitude is represented by the length of the vector and the direction is represented by the angle it makes with a reference axis.

Why are Cartesian vectors important in science?

Cartesian vectors are important in science because they allow us to accurately describe and analyze physical quantities, such as forces and velocities, in a three-dimensional space. They are also used in many mathematical and scientific applications, including calculus, mechanics, and electromagnetism.