Finding the Cost for Operating Coffee Machines

In summary, the total cost for a business operating fifteen 100 W light bulbs for an average of eight hours a day and two 15 Ohm coffee makers connected to a 120 V power supply for two hours a day each, at a rate of 6.4 ¢/kWh, would be $370.02 for one year. This includes a cost of $280.32 for the light bulbs and $89.70 for the coffee makers.
Catchingupquickly

Homework Statement

Find the total cost for a business that operates the following for one year:

- Fifteen 100 W light bulbs for an average of eight hours a day
- Two 15 Ohm coffee makers connected to a 120 V power supply for two hours a day each

The rate is 6.4 ¢/kWh

Homework Equations

## \Delta E = P \Delta T ##

cost = ## \Delta E ## x rate

P = ## V^2 / R ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The light bulbs I thought were straight forward:

P = 15 bulbs x 100 W = 1500 W = 1.5 kW

## \Delta t ## = 365 days x 8 hrs = 2920 hrs

## \Delta E = P \Delta t ## = (1.5 kW) (2920 hrs) = 4380 kWh

Cost = ## \Delta E ## x rate = 4380 kWh x 6.4 ¢/kWh = 28 032 ¢ or $280.32

The coffee makers...I figured the price of one and then doubled it.

For one device:

## P = V^2 / R ##
= ## (120)^2 / 15 Ω ##
= 960 W = 0.96 kW

## \Delta T ## = 365 x 2 hrs = 730 hrs

## \Delta E = P \Delta T ## = (0.96 kW) (730 hrs) = 700.8 kWh

cost = ## \Delta E ## x rate = (700.8 kWh) (6.4 ¢/kWh) = 4485.12 ¢ = $44.85

There's two machines so x 2 = $ 89.70

Total cost to the business for the bulbs and the coffee makers $280.32 + $89.70 = $370.02

I am correct on the coffee machine strategy and thus the final result?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. Nice work.

Likes Catchingupquickly

1. How do I calculate the cost of operating a coffee machine?

The cost of operating a coffee machine can be calculated by taking into account several factors, including the cost of electricity, water, and coffee beans. First, determine the wattage of your coffee machine and the average cost of electricity per kilowatt-hour in your area. Multiply the wattage by the number of hours the machine is used per day, and then multiply that by the cost of electricity. Next, consider the cost of water and coffee beans per cup of coffee. Add these costs together to find the total cost of operating the coffee machine per day, week, or month.

2. Is it more cost-effective to use a traditional coffee machine or a single-serve machine?

This depends on your individual coffee consumption and preferences. Single-serve machines may be more convenient and efficient for individuals who only drink one or two cups of coffee per day. However, for larger households or offices where multiple cups of coffee are consumed, a traditional coffee machine may be more cost-effective in the long run.

3. Are there any hidden costs associated with operating a coffee machine?

In addition to the direct costs of electricity, water, and coffee beans, there may be some hidden costs associated with operating a coffee machine. These may include the cost of maintenance and repairs, as well as the cost of disposing of used coffee grounds and other waste. It is important to consider these potential costs when calculating the overall cost of operating a coffee machine.

4. Can I save money by using alternative brewing methods, such as a French press or pour-over?

Alternative brewing methods, such as a French press or pour-over, may initially seem more cost-effective because they do not require electricity. However, they may actually end up costing more in the long run due to the higher cost of specialty coffee beans and the potential for more waste. It is important to weigh the cost of these alternative methods against the convenience and efficiency of a traditional coffee machine.

5. How can I reduce the cost of operating my coffee machine?

There are several ways to reduce the cost of operating a coffee machine. One option is to invest in a more energy-efficient machine, which will use less electricity and save money in the long run. Additionally, using reusable filters and purchasing coffee beans in bulk can help reduce waste and save money. It is also important to properly maintain the machine to prevent costly repairs and replacements.