Finding the direction of current given a varying magnetic....

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction and meaning of the vector ds in the equation μ0 In,e = ∫B⋅ds. It is determined that going around in a mathematically positive direction (counterclockwise) results in the vector dS pointing towards the positive z direction. It is also noted that even if the field is decreasing, the integration should still be done counterclockwise to get a negative vector I pointing in the negative z direction. Ampere's law is mentioned as being an integral form of one of the Maxwell equations.
alexdr5398

Homework Statement

YZgf1wB.jpg

Homework Equations

μ0 In,e = ∫B⋅ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't how to approach this question at all.

Do you have to integrate counterclockwise around the loop every time? If the field was decreasing as y decreased, would you integrate CW or is it still CCW?

Why does μ0 In,e = ∫B⋅ds being >0 mean that it must be out of the page.

Physics news on Phys.org
The direction of ##\vec {ds}## has a meaning. You go around in a mathematically positive direction (CCW).

Ampere's law is an integral form of one of the maxwelll equations.

If ##d\vec l## in the link (your ##\vec {ds}## ) goes around CCW then ##\vec {d\bf {S}}## is pointing towards you (the positive z direction).

If the field is decreasing you still go around CCW and you get a negative ##\vec I## -- i.e. pointing in the negative z direction.

Likes alexdr5398
BvU said:
The direction of ##\vec {ds}## has a meaning. You go around in a mathematically positive direction (CCW).

Ampere's law is an integral form of one of the maxwelll equations.

If ##d\vec l## in the link (your ##\vec {ds}## ) goes around CCW then ##\vec {d\bf {S}}## is pointing towards you (the positive z direction).

If the field is decreasing you still go around CCW and you get a negative ##\vec I## -- i.e. pointing in the negative z direction.

Okay, I understand. Thank you.

1. What is the relationship between a magnetic field and an electric current?

The direction of an electric current is perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field it is moving through. This is known as the right-hand rule, where if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will wrap around in the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How can I determine the direction of current given a varying magnetic field?

To find the direction of current, you will need to use the right-hand rule and take into account the changing direction of the magnetic field. This can be done by visualizing the movement of the current and the magnetic field, or by using mathematical equations such as Faraday's law of induction.

3. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the direction of current?

The strength of the magnetic field does not affect the direction of current, but it does affect the magnitude of the current. A stronger magnetic field will induce a larger current, while a weaker magnetic field will induce a smaller current.

4. Can the direction of current change if the magnetic field is constant?

Yes, the direction of current can change if the magnetic field is constant. This can occur if the circuit or conductor carrying the current is rotated or moved in relation to the magnetic field. The direction of current will always be perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field at any given point.

5. How is the direction of current affected by the shape of the conductor?

The shape of the conductor does not affect the direction of current, but it can affect the magnitude of the current. A longer conductor will have a higher resistance and therefore a lower current, while a shorter conductor will have a lower resistance and a higher current. However, regardless of the shape of the conductor, the direction of current will always be perpendicular to the magnetic field.