Finding the efficiency of an ideal gas with adiabatic exponent 'γ'

In summary, the total work done in the cyclic process is nRTo[2ln(2) - 1], and the total heat absorbed is nRTo[2ln(2) - 1 / (γ - 1)]. The efficiency of the ideal gas in this process is [2ln(2) - 1](γ - 1) / γ. However, it seems that the book made a mistake in their solution and provided a wrong answer.
PhysicsEnthusiast123
Homework Statement
What will be the efficiency of an ideal gas with adiabatic exponent 'γ' for a cyclic process as shown in the figure?
The answer in my book is [2ln(2) - 1](γ - 1) / γ, which I cannot reach as you will see in my attempt below.
Relevant Equations
Efficiency = work done /heat absorbed.
ΔQ = ΔU + W (first law of thermodynamics).
0JNho.png

Here is what I did :
work done in going from A to C,
W1 = 2nRToln(2) (isothermal process)

work done in going from C to B,
W1 = pΔV = nRΔT = -nRTo (isobaric process)

work done in going from B to A,
W3 = 0 (isochoric process)

so, total work done = W1 + W2 + W3
= nRTo[2ln(2)-1]heat absorbed in going from A to C,
ΔQ1 = W1 = 2nRToln(2) ( ΔU = 0)

heat absorbed in going from B to A,
ΔQ3 = nCvΔT = nRTo / (γ - 1) (isochoric)in going from C to B, heat is not absorbed but released (you can calculate it to be negative), so, it will not be included in the total heat absorbed.
So, total heat absorbed = nRTo[2ln(2) - 1 / (γ - 1)]Now, you can see that efficiency that I would have calculated using all this would not have been equal to the solution provided.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsEnthusiast123 said:
Homework Statement:: What will be the efficiency of an ideal gas with adiabatic exponent 'γ' for a cyclic process as shown in the figure?
The answer in my book is [2ln(2) - 1](γ - 1) / γ, which I cannot reach as you will see in my attempt below.
Relevant Equations:: Efficiency = work done /heat absorbed.
ΔQ = ΔU + W (first law of thermodynamics).

View attachment 264163
Here is what I did :
work done in going from A to C,
W1 = 2nRToln(2) (isothermal process)

work done in going from C to B,
W1 = pΔV = nRΔT = -nRTo (isobaric process)

work done in going from B to A,
W3 = 0 (isochoric process)

so, total work done = W1 + W2 + W3
= nRTo[2ln(2)-1]heat absorbed in going from A to C,
ΔQ1 = W1 = 2nRToln(2) ( ΔU = 0)

heat absorbed in going from B to A,
ΔQ3 = nCvΔT = nRTo / (γ - 1) (isochoric)in going from C to B, heat is not absorbed but released (you can calculate it to be negative), so, it will not be included in the total heat absorbed.
So, total heat absorbed = nRTo[2ln(2) - 1 / (γ - 1)]Now, you can see that efficiency that I would have calculated using all this would not have been equal to the solution provided.
I’ll be back a little later to help with this. Please be patient.

Likes PhysicsEnthusiast123 and PhDeezNutz
I don't know what your book did, but I agree with your answer. As a check, if you add the three heat amounts, they sum, as they should, to the net work. So your answer is confirmed.

Likes PhysicsEnthusiast123
Chestermiller said:
I don't know what your book did, but I agree with your answer. As a check, if you add the three heat amounts, they sum, as they should, to the net work. So your answer is confirmed.
Thanks for all the help.
PS : Apparently, instead of calculating the heat absorbed, my book calculated the heat released, and then mistakenly put it in the efficiency formula, which resulted in a wrong answer.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, T is temperature, n is the number of moles of gas, and R is the gas constant. Ideal gases have particles that do not interact with each other and have no volume, making them easy to study and calculate.

2. What is the adiabatic exponent 'γ'?

The adiabatic exponent, also known as the specific heat ratio, is a measure of how a gas responds to changes in temperature and pressure. It is defined as the ratio of the specific heats at constant pressure and constant volume, and is denoted by the symbol γ. This value is important in determining the efficiency of an ideal gas.

3. How is the efficiency of an ideal gas with adiabatic exponent 'γ' calculated?

The efficiency of an ideal gas with adiabatic exponent γ can be calculated using the formula η = 1 - (1/γ), where η is the efficiency. This formula assumes an isentropic process, meaning that there is no heat exchange with the surroundings.

4. Why is it important to find the efficiency of an ideal gas with adiabatic exponent 'γ'?

Knowing the efficiency of an ideal gas with adiabatic exponent γ is important in many practical applications, such as in the design of engines and turbines. It allows us to understand the performance of these systems and make improvements to increase efficiency.

5. How does the value of 'γ' affect the efficiency of an ideal gas?

The value of 'γ' directly affects the efficiency of an ideal gas. As the value of 'γ' decreases, the efficiency of the gas also decreases. This is because a lower value of 'γ' means that the gas has a higher specific heat at constant volume, making it less efficient in converting heat energy into work.