Finding The Equation of an Ellipse

• Thread starter silhouette
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the point P on a circle with equation x^2+y^2=100 is transformed into the point P' on an ellipse with equation x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2=1. Both conics have a center at (0,0) and the points on the circle scale by the same factor as they are transformed into the ellipse. The horizontal scaling factor is the ratio of the x coordinate of P' to the x coordinate of P, and the vertical scaling factor is the ratio of the y coordinate of P' to the y coordinate of P. Using the variable substitution x--> x/a and y--> y/b, the equation of the new ellipse can be written in standard form.
silhouette

Homework Statement

The point P on a circle is transformed into the point P' on a ellipse.

The point P is (6,8), and lies on a circle with the equation X^2 + Y^2 = 100.
Point P' lies on the same graph after it has been transformed into a ellipse, with the co-ordinates (4,12). (No transitions, only a stretch factor change.) Both conics have an origin of 0,0. Find the equation for the new ellipse in the form, x^2 / a^2 + y^2 / b^2 = 1. Most importantly find the stretch factors A and B.

Homework Equations

standard circle = x^2 + y^2 = r^2
standard ellipse = x^2 / a^2 + y^2 / b^2 = 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Till this point, I have only done this type of question when the points being transformed lied on either the major or minor axis. I have attempted to substitute the point in which the ellipse passes through, but to no avail, as I cannot solve for both A and B at the same time as they're both unknown. I have thought about linear systems, but I only have one pair of co-ordinates, and I don't believe I can figure out the major/minor axis given my level of trigonometry (only works on circles). I am unable to identity the relationship between P and P' and its relevance to helping me find A and B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since both conics have center at (0,0), all points on the circle scale by the same x factor and by the same y-factor as they are transformed into the ellipse.

What horizontal scaling factor will map the x coordinate of P to the x coordinate of P'?
What vertical scaling factor will map the y coordinate of P to the y coordinate of P'?

On a relevant but general note. If you have a relation expressed as an equation or inequality in x and y. Then a horizontal scaling by a factor of a and a vertical scaling by a factor of b is accomplished by the variable substitution x--> x/a, y-->y/b.

Similarly a horizontal translation by a distance of h and vertical translation by a distance of k results from/is accomplished by the substitution x --> (x-h), y--> (y-k).

With that in mind let me give one more hint. A circle is an ellipse and so can be written in the standard ellipse form: (divide through by r^2).

Related to Finding The Equation of an Ellipse

1. What is the general equation for an ellipse?

The general equation for an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h, k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

2. How do you find the equation of an ellipse given its center and axes lengths?

To find the equation of an ellipse, you can plug the values for h, k, a, and b into the general equation (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1. Alternatively, you can also use the formula x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1 if the center of the ellipse is at the origin.

3. Can an ellipse have negative axes lengths?

Yes, an ellipse can have negative axes lengths. This means that the ellipse is reflected across the x-axis or y-axis, depending on which axis has a negative length.

4. What is the difference between an ellipse and a circle?

An ellipse is a curved shape with two axes of symmetry, while a circle is a special type of ellipse with both axes having the same length. This means that all points on a circle are equidistant from its center, while the distance from the center to any point on an ellipse varies.

5. How can you graph an ellipse?

To graph an ellipse, you can first plot the center point (h, k). Then, you can find the endpoints of the major and minor axes by adding and subtracting the values of a and b from the center point along the x and y-axes. Finally, use these endpoints to draw the ellipse's shape.