Finding the Force for Constant Velocity with Kinetic Friction

In summary, the question is about finding the force applied to achieve a constant velocity of an object with a weight of 12kg and a kinetic friction of .70 when a force is applied at an angle of 30 degrees. The solution involves understanding the relationship between acceleration and net force, and recognizing that constant velocity means an acceleration of 0.
Leedle

Homework Statement

in the question you're having to solve for this.

A force is applied at a angle of 30 degrees on a object that weighs 12kg that is also moving at a constant velocity. kinetic friction is equal to .70
i am confused on how to find the Force applied to achieve a constant velocity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Leedle said:

Homework Statement

in the question you're having to solve for this.

A force is applied at a angle of 30 degrees on a object that weighs 12kg that is also moving at a constant velocity. kinetic friction is equal to .70
i am confused on how to find the Force applied to achieve a constant velocity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If it's constant velocity, what's the acceleration? What is the relationship between acceleration and net force?

It doesn't give it's acceleration

Leedle said:
It doesn't give it's acceleration
Yes it does. What do you think constant velocity means?

haruspex said:
Yes it does. What do you think constant velocity means?
what i mean is that it doesn't give its acceleration as far as numbers wise

Leedle said:
what i mean is that it doesn't give its acceleration as far as numbers wise
Yes it does! What does constant velocity mean??

haruspex said:
Yes it does! What does constant velocity mean??
OMG sorry i just had a brain fart it's zero that's how working on a lot of things at once can confuse yourself it's acceleration is 0.

Leedle said:
OMG sorry i just had a brain fart it's zero that's how working on a lot of things at once can confuse yourself it's acceleration is 0.
Happens to us all. Have a good day.

Related to Finding the Force for Constant Velocity with Kinetic Friction

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is also known as sliding friction or dynamic friction.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are already in motion, while static friction occurs when two surfaces are at rest and attempting to move against each other. Kinetic friction is generally lower than static friction.

3. How is kinetic friction calculated?

Kinetic friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) by the normal force (N) between the two surfaces. The formula is Fk = μkN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction.

4. What factors affect the value of kinetic friction?

The value of kinetic friction depends on several factors, including the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pressing the surfaces together (normal force). Other factors such as temperature and surface area also play a role.

5. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the two surfaces, making the surfaces smoother, or reducing the normal force between the surfaces. Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of friction can also decrease the value of kinetic friction.