Finding the force of constraint--compound pendulum on spring

In summary, Fetter and Walecka discuss the compound pendulum in Figure 28.1, with a mass M, moments of inertia Iij, and a point of support Q attached to a vertical spring with a force constant k. The system is constrained to move vertically, with the top of the spring fixed to a rigid support. The Lagrangian for this system is constructed using generalized coordinates η (the downward displacement of Q) and φ, and Lagrange's equations are derived. Additionally, the same equations can be obtained using the general principles of rigid-body dynamics, taking into account the motion of the center of mass and rotations about it, including the force of constraint. The equations of motion for η and φ are
anf3

Homework Statement

From Fetter and Walecka 5.1:[/B]
Consider the compound pendulum in FIg 28.1 (mass M, moments of inertia Iij relative to the center of mass, which is a distance L from the point of support Q) but with Q attached to the bottom of a vertical spring (force constant k) and constrained to move vertically. The top of the spring is fixed to a rigid support.
(a) Construct the Lagrangian for this system in terms of the generalized coordinates η (the downward displacement of Q) and φ. Derive Lagrange's equations.
(b) Obtain the same equations from the general principles of rigid-body dynamics concerning the motion of the center of mass and rotations about it (don't forget the force of constraint)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8K4utS2xNx0v9MV9P7Nhg-wnYFxzLVknSHNo1OI7pbzBpL8B9LqbpT9ODbnKp2jlMtDT0WYQzJF5y3cdueMftuaZSBG3PoR0WbzK-fOI0deYmKe9JVqxgevpVgBKvf1hR5FCJsYnVJVKlWYggq3Pg3Juy0vTQD5MGmEZSssJOUq1uD7tjEELzDu24Obg0F2FOepDH3dBFUBxxx4ucVHUE7up5g16qkq1k8TtvmZZLUNv7d2qC9Tu3hvCHB5yH-s7AJTBXLTwNyzRdEVQWyev69i-H19gyhFElV-nEKtbkb_-zTmHWBd37ZSYCzN6Wi0hoJ2xTh5MxLnIgs2wdiAeIxmzN9lnsx4g7wbIsPgbQMcxm4v2y-mjoSCTOVmeRx-ABsuKK0cnnPS-N14xfpuoemzzdquUsRvLhcKCKcxTTov6g6b7qhb3JpJpuXZPPABni7Zia3QcF3ZZ5mkIrHYL1ilAb7W-4jots6SbihTd61WIAPavW7tZUCg2b2jGF0-D7rIDhA-ok53B-8l_0LWdhICHj8mHcSV2SWTvTdjIAvQnavDxO2-F6QAlHM8O7w1gJiVjD7O4Npz5GlocePLAUpLDxnWPQVsJQTpDx_LYFSVZFIlHQg=w345-h612-no

Homework Equations

Euler's equations:
I11/dt =ω2ω3(I2-I3) +Γ1(e) and similar permutations of indexes
where
Γ1(e)= torque⋅e^1

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done part (a) getting η⋅⋅= g- k/m η and φ⋅⋅ = -mgl sin(φ)/(I33,cm+ml2)

For part(b)
I initially used the euler equations and the torque about the point Q ΓextQ=R×mg= - mlg sinφ, which results in the equation I had from part (a). However since the question specifically asks to use rotations about the center of mass I'm not sure if I would be allowed to do this.

However bigger issue is in trying to find the torque about the center of mass I don't know how to go about finding the force of constraint from the suspension point that contributes. Nor am I sure of what the ωs which are needed to use the Euler equation would be in a reference frame centered on the center of mass, since the rotation is taking place around Q and not cm. I imagine I may have to use the relations of each reference frame in terms of the other? It seems as those the torque about the center of mass is needed in order to find the η EOM.

Γcmspring = R×(-kη)= -lkη sin(φ) e^[\SUP]3

Physics news on Phys.org
[/SUP] (since the spring is only in the direction of the z axis)Γcmgravity = R×mg = -mlg sin(φ) e^[\SUP]3[/SUP]Would the net torque about the center of mass be:Γcmnet = Γcmspring + Γcmgravity = -lkη sin(φ) e^[\SUP]3[/SUP] - mlg sin(φ) e^[\SUP]3[/SUP]= (-mlg-lkη)sin(φ)e^[\SUP]3[/SUP] and if so then would the equation of motion for η bem(ddη/dt²) = -mlg-lkη)sin(φ)Which is the same result as before, but I am not sure if this is the correct way to go about it.

What is a compound pendulum?

A compound pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rigid body attached to a pivot point by a spring. This differs from a simple pendulum, which is a point mass attached to a pivot point by a string or rod.

What is the force of constraint on a compound pendulum?

The force of constraint on a compound pendulum is the force exerted by the pivot point and the spring on the rigid body. This force is responsible for keeping the pendulum in motion and affecting its period and amplitude.

How do you find the force of constraint on a compound pendulum?

To find the force of constraint on a compound pendulum, you will need to measure the period and amplitude of the pendulum's motion. You can then use these measurements, along with the mass and length of the pendulum, to calculate the force of constraint using the equation F = mω²x, where m is the mass, ω is the angular velocity, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

What factors can affect the force of constraint on a compound pendulum?

The force of constraint on a compound pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the mass and length of the pendulum, the strength of the spring, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. Other external factors, such as air resistance and friction, can also impact the force of constraint.

Why is the force of constraint important in a compound pendulum?

The force of constraint is important in a compound pendulum because it is responsible for keeping the pendulum in motion and affecting its period and amplitude. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the mechanics of the pendulum and its behavior under different conditions.