Finding the force to break static friction

In summary: You need to use both of them and you need to use the kinetic friction equation.In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of individual forces required to break static friction on a stack of doughnuts being pushed by Samantha and Rebekah. The formula for static and kinetic friction was discussed, and the correct formula was determined to be f = ma. The normal force, gravity, and applied force were taken into account to determine the individual force of 25.2N for each push. The final part of the conversation also addressed the need to consider kinetic friction force and use the kinetic friction equation to find the acceleration of 1.4m/s/s.
nevererdofit

Homework Statement

Samantha and Rebekah each push on a stack of doughnuts equally. If the coefficient of static friction is .28 and the box has a mass of 18kg, what force does each push individually to break static friction? Once it's moving, the coefficient of kinetic friction is .17, how much will the doughnuts be accelerated onto the floor?

mass of object = 18kg
coefficient of friction (static) = .28
coefficient of friction (kinetic) = .17[/B]

Homework Equations

The only one I know that is obvious to use is f = ma, not sure how to apply it to this context[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

On the x and y plane, I know the force diagram reads normal force traveling up, force of gravity traveling down, Applied force traveling right, and force of friction traveling left.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula for static and kinetic friction?

paisiello2 said:
Do you know the formula for static and kinetic friction?
I was never taught the formulas for each type of friction no

So after trying this is how I attempt it
(I assume gravity as 10m/s/s)

I know normal force = mg so fn = (18)(10) fn = 180N
then
f = (.28)x(180)
f = 50.4N
then I assume you divide the answer in two as it asks for the individual force, so
f = 25.2N

to find the acceleration you just use f = ma substituting your found force
25.2 = (18)a
a = 1.4m/s/s

am I correct?

Not quite. Is the box sliding or not?

paisiello2 said:
Not quite. Is the box sliding or not?
they both push on the stack of doughnuts, so I believe it is sliding. Really though you are just trying to find the force that was needed to break the static force, or when it wasn't in motion. Then the second part of the question just wanted the acceleration of their push

Yes, so when you found the first answer did you assume the box was sliding or not?

yes I did assume the box was sliding as there was force being emitted on it

Well, you are contradicting yourself because you also said there was no motion. Sliding= motion.

nevererdofit said:
So after trying this is how I attempt it
(I assume gravity as 10m/s/s)

I know normal force = mg so fn = (18)(10) fn = 180N
then
f = (.28)x(180)
f = 50.4N
then I assume you divide the answer in two as it asks for the individual force, so
f = 25.2N

That looks correct.

to find the acceleration you just use f = ma substituting your found force
25.2 = (18)a
a = 1.4m/s/s

am I correct?

A couple problems with this part. You've ignore kinetic friction force and only used one of the applied forces.

Related to Finding the force to break static friction

1. How is the force to break static friction calculated?

The force required to break static friction can be calculated using the equation F=μsN, where F is the force, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force.

2. What factors affect the force required to break static friction?

The force required to break static friction is affected by the coefficient of static friction, the normal force, and the roughness of the surfaces in contact.

3. Is the force to break static friction the same for all surfaces?

No, the force required to break static friction varies depending on the coefficient of static friction and the roughness of the surfaces in contact. Different materials have different coefficients of static friction.

4. How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction is determined by conducting experiments and measuring the force required to break static friction for different surface materials. It can also be calculated using the equation μs=F/N.

5. Can the force required to break static friction be reduced?

Yes, the force required to break static friction can be reduced by increasing the surface area in contact, using lubricants to decrease surface roughness, or by decreasing the normal force applied.