Finding the General Solution of a Wave Equation with Fourier Transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution of a wave equation with specific parameters. The author uses a Fourier transformation to reduce the equation to an ODE and applies the ansatz e^{i(kx - \omega t)} to simplify the PDE into an algebraic equation. The resulting dispersion relationship provides insight into the relationship between \omega and \mathbf{k}, leading to the general solution in the form of a superposition of basis solutions.
MarkoA
Hi,

following the attached paper I try to find the general solution of the following wave equation:

[itex]
\frac{1}{a^2} \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2} + \frac{2M}{a}\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x \partial t} + \overline{\beta}^2 \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial y^2}
[/itex] (1)

where [itex]\overline{\beta}^2=M^2-1>0[/itex]. Furthermore [itex]M[/itex] is the Mach number and [itex]a[/itex] the sonic speed. For [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex] the author states that [itex] -\infty < t < \infty[/itex] and [itex] -\infty < x< \infty[/itex].

The author of the paper finds the general solution to (1) being:
[itex]\phi = \sum_{\nu = -\infty}^{\infty} E_{\nu} e^{i(\omega t + \alpha_{\nu}x - \gamma_{\nu}y)}[/itex], (2)
with
[itex]\gamma_{\nu}^2 = \frac{\omega^2}{a^2} + \frac{2 M \omega \alpha_{\nu}}{a} + (M^2-1)\alpha_{\nu}^2[/itex]. (3)

This yields:
[itex] \frac{\omega^2}{a^2} \phi^* + \frac{2M\omega \alpha_{\nu}}{a}\phi^* + \overline{\beta}^2 \alpha^2_{\nu}\phi^* = \frac{d^2\phi^*}{dy^2} [/itex] (5)

Thus, the characteristic polynomial of (5) is:
[itex] \lambda^2 - \Big(\frac{\omega^2}{a^2} + \frac{2M\omega \alpha_{\nu}}{a} + \overline{\beta}^2 \alpha^2_{\nu}\Big) = 0 [/itex] (6).

So the eigenvalue should be:
[itex]\lambda = \gamma_{\nu} = \pm \sqrt{\frac{\omega^2}{a^2} + \frac{2M\omega \alpha_{\nu}}{a} + \overline{\beta}^2 \alpha^2_{\nu}}[/itex] (7)

If the eigenvalues are real and distinct the general solution of the differential equation is:
[itex]\phi^* = C_1 e^{\lambda_1 y} + C_2 e^{\lambda_2 y}[/itex] (8)
If the eigenvalues are complex the general solution should look like:
[itex]\phi^* = C_1 \cos{(\Im{(\lambda)}y)}e^{\Re{(\lambda)} y } + C_2 \sin{(\Im{(\lambda)}y)}e^{\Re{(\lambda)} y }[/itex] (9)

If my approach is not wrong I would apply equation (8). But in the given solution (2) of the paper there is an [itex]i[/itex] I am missing. And do you think the exponentail comes from the inverse Fourier transformation:
[itex] \phi = \mathcal{F}^{-1}(\phi*) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi^* e^{i(\omega t + \alpha_{\nu}x)}d\omega d\alpha [/itex] ?

That's where I get stuck. Do I need some of the boundary conditions the author gives to deduct the general solution?

Any help, ideas and discussions are very appreciated!

I have posted a similar thread before in PhysicsForums, but since this became more or less a list of my own thoughts I decided to start from scratch and to present my latest solution approach.

Attachments

• Fung1963.pdf
    783.8 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an approach that amounts to using Fourier analysis, but is quicker and cleaner than actually carrying out the Fourier integrals. In a great variety of cases, we can gain insight into a PDE by using the ansatz ## e^{i(kx - \omega t)} ## or, in two dimensions, ## e^{i(\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}-\omega t)} = e^{i(k_x x + k_y y -\omega t)} ##. Let us then, substitute ## \phi = e^{i(\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}-\omega t)} ## into the PDE.

This trick will turn the PDE into an algebraic equation because, when we differentiate an exponential, we get the exponential back again, times something. In other words, the exponential function is an eigenfunction of the differential operator and, indeed, of all powers of the differential operator. For example, using our ansatz, ## \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \phi = (-i \omega) \phi ## and, indeed, ## \left( \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \right)^n \phi = (-i\omega)^n \phi ##. That means we can simply make the replacement ## \left( \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \right)^n \rightarrow (-i\omega)^n ## in the differential equation, as well as similar replacements ## \left( \frac{\partial }{\partial x} \right)^n \rightarrow (i k_x)^n ## and ## \left( \frac{\partial }{\partial y} \right)^n \rightarrow (i k_y)^n ##. Carrying out these replacements and dividing out ## \phi ## in all terms gives

## \frac{-\omega^2}{a^2} + \frac{2Mk_x\omega}{a}-\frac{k_x^2}{\beta^2}+k_y^2 = 0 ##.

This relation tells us how ## \omega ## must be related to ## \mathbf{k} ##. Because the group velocity of a wave is given by ## \frac{d \omega}{dk} ## and, because a propagating disturbance disperses (i.e., spreads apart) when ##\omega ## is not proportional to ##k##, the relationship between ## \omega ## and ## \mathbf{k} ## is called a dispersion relationship. If we set ## k_x = -\alpha_\nu ## and ## k_y = \gamma_\nu ##, we get the relation (3) from your post. Now the general solution will be a superposition of these basis solutions, each weighted by a different amplitude. This gives rise to equation (2) from your post (though I think, in terms of that equation, our ansatz is really the slightly different one, ## e^{i(\omega t - \mathbf{k}\cdot \mathbf{r})}##).

Last edited:
Likes MarkoA
Due to your help I finally managed to follow this publication. Thanks!

1. What is a wave equation?

A wave equation is a mathematical representation of a physical wave, such as a sound wave or an electromagnetic wave. It describes the relationship between the wave's properties, such as its speed and frequency, and its environment.

2. How is a wave equation solved?

A wave equation is typically solved using mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or Fourier transforms. This involves breaking the equation down into smaller, solvable parts and then combining the solutions to find the overall solution.

3. What is the importance of solving a wave equation?

Solving a wave equation allows us to understand and predict the behavior of waves in a given system. This is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and acoustics, as it allows us to design and optimize systems that involve waves.

4. What are some real-life applications of wave equations?

Wave equations have numerous real-life applications, such as in predicting the behavior of sound waves in musical instruments, designing and optimizing antennas for communication systems, and understanding the behavior of seismic waves in earthquakes. They are also used in fields like optics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there different types of wave equations?

Yes, there are different types of wave equations that are used to model different types of waves. Some common types include the 1-dimensional wave equation, which describes waves traveling along a single dimension, and the 3-dimensional wave equation, which is used to model waves in three-dimensional space. There are also specialized wave equations for specific types of waves, such as the Schrödinger equation for quantum mechanical waves.