Finding the Hermitian generator of a Symplectic transformation

In summary, The Stone-von Neumann theorem only applies to systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom. A linear symplectic transformation can be given unitarily in the case of a fixed number of non-relativistic particles, but not in QFT where there are an infinite number of degrees of freedom.
andresB
Consider a set of ##n## position operators and ##n## momentum operator such that
$$\left[q_{i},p_{j}\right]=i\delta_{ij}.$$
Lets now perform a linear symplectic transformation
$$q'_{i} =A_{ij}q_{j}+B_{ij}p_{j},$$
$$p'_{i} =C_{ij}q_{j}+D_{ij}p_{j}.$$
such that the canonical commutation relations are maintained

$$\left[q'_{i},p'_{j}\right]=i\delta_{ij}.$$

Any such symplectic transformation should be unitarily implemented due to the Stone-von Neumann theorem (right?)

$$U^{-1}q_{i}U =q'_{i},$$
$$U^{-1}p_{i}U =p'_{i}.$$

The question is: Assuming the coefficients A,B,C and D are given , is there a systematic way to calculate the generator ##G## of the unitary transformation ##U=e^{-iG}##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The generators are the left-invariant vector fields, so you can consider all paths from ##1## to ##U## and differentiate them.

andresB said:
Consider a set of ##n## position operators and ##n## momentum operator such that
$$\left[q_{i},p_{j}\right]=i\delta_{ij}.$$ Let's now perform a linear symplectic transformation $$q'_{i} =A_{ij}q_{j}+B_{ij}p_{j},$$ $$p'_{i} =C_{ij}q_{j}+D_{ij}p_{j}.$$
such that the canonical commutation relations are maintained $$\left[q'_{i},p'_{j}\right]=i\delta_{ij}.$$
This is essentially a "Bogoliubov" transformation, although in QFT one usually mixes annihilation and creation operators (but this is equivalent to mixing positions and momenta).
andresB said:
Any such symplectic transformation should be unitarily implemented due to the Stone-von Neumann theorem (right?)
No. Many Bogoliubov transformations cannot be implemented unitarily. Instead, we map between unitarily inequivalent Hilbert spaces.
andresB said:
$$U^{-1}q_{i}U =q'_{i},$$ $$U^{-1}p_{i}U =p'_{i}.$$
The question is: Assuming the coefficients A,B,C and D are given , is there a systematic way to calculate the generator ##G## of the unitary transformation ##U=e^{-iG}##?
Yes, provided you understand that the mapping goes between inequivalent Hilbert spaces. If fresh42's cryptic hint is not enough, let me know and I'll try to dig out my old computations for this stuff. (It's been a while...)

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
andresB said:
Any such symplectic transformation should be unitarily implemented due to the Stone-von Neumann theorem
Note that the Stone-von Neumann theorem only applies to the case of finitely many degrees of freedom.

strangerep said:
Many Bogoliubov transformations cannot be implemented unitarily.
This would be for transformations in QFT, for example, where there are infinitely many degrees of freedom, correct?

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
This would be for transformations in QFT, for example, where there are infinitely many degrees of freedom, correct?
Yes.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Note that the Stone-von Neumann theorem only applies to the case of finitely many degrees of freedom.

When you say finite degrees of freedom you mean the Irreducible set of operators is finite? So, there should be finite position and momentum operators (ignoring spin and other internal degrees of freedom)? that's my case.

strangerep said:
This is essentially a "Bogoliubov" transformation, although in QFT one usually mixes annihilation and creation operators (but this is equivalent to mixing positions and momenta).

No. Many Bogoliubov transformations cannot be implemented unitarily. Instead, we map between unitarily inequivalent Hilbert spaces.

Yes, provided you understand that the mapping goes between inequivalent Hilbert spaces. If fresh42's cryptic hint is not enough, let me know and I'll try to dig out my old computations for this stuff. (It's been a while...)
I don't know about Bogoliubov transformation and inequivalent Hilbert spaces, so I don't know what to say about it.

In any case, even if not related to the Stone- von Neumann theorem, I think that linear symplectic transformation can always be given unitarily https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.1665805

Likes vanhees71
andresB said:
When you say finite degrees of freedom you mean the Irreducible set of operators is finite?
Not quite the set of operators, because complementary operators, such as position and momentum along the same spatial dimension, represent just one degree of freedom. For example, for the case of a single spin-zero particle moving in three spatial dimensions, the system has three degrees of freedom. But in QFT, there are an infinite number of degrees of freedom, because there is, roughly speaking, at least one degree of freedom for each spacetime point.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Not quite the set of operators, because complementary operators, such as position and momentum along the same spatial dimension, represent just one degree of freedom. For example, for the case of a single spin-zero particle moving in three spatial dimensions, the system has three degrees of freedom. But in QFT, there are an infinite number of degrees of freedom, because there is, roughly speaking, at least one degree of freedom for each spacetime point.

Well, I'm mostly interested in a fixed ##n## non-relativistic particles, so, not QFT.

PeterDonis said:
In other words in the socalled "1st-quantization formalism" you have a finite set of fundamental observables that generate the complete operator algebra. E.g., for a single particle in non-relativistic QT you have ##\hat{\vec{x}}## and ##\hat{\vec{p}}## with the "Heisenberg algebra",
$$[\hat{x}_j,\hat{p}_k]=\mathrm{i} \hbar \delta_{jk}, \quad [\hat{x}_j,\hat{x}_k]=0, \quad [\hat{p}_j,\hat{p}_k]=0.$$
If the particle has in addition spin ##s \in \{1/2,1,\ldots \}## there are in addition the spin-angular momentum operators ##\hat{s}_j##, commuting with all components ##\hat{\vec{x}}## and ##\hat{\vec{p}}##, and fulfilling the usual angular-momentum commutation relations,
$$[\hat{s}_j,\hat{s}_k]=\mathrm{i} \hbar \epsilon_{jkl} \hat{s}_l.$$
In contradistinction to that case in QFT you have a continuous set of such "generators" of the observable algebra like the field operators ##\hat{\psi}(\vec{x})##, where you have to read ##\vec{x}## as a continuous label for the independent generators.

strangerep said:
Many Bogoliubov transformations cannot be implemented unitarily. Instead, we map between unitarily inequivalent Hilbert spaces.
This is the case if ##n## is infinite, i.e., in qft. But in the OP's question, ##n## is finite, and by Stone's theorem, all Bogoliubov transformations are unitarily implemented..
andresB said:
Lets now perform a linear symplectic transformation
$$q'_{i} =A_{ij}q_{j}+B_{ij}p_{j},$$
$$p'_{i} =C_{ij}q_{j}+D_{ij}p_{j}.$$
such that the canonical commutation relations are maintained
$$\left[q'_{i},p'_{j}\right]=i\delta_{ij}.$$

Yes. You need the unitary representation theory of the symplectic group ##SP(2n)##. Explicit formulas can be given in terms of the representation by squeezed coherent states. You should study the very thorough survey paper
  • Zhang, W., Feng, D. H., & Gilmore, R., Coherent states: Theory and some applications. Reviews of Modern Physics 62 (1990), 867.

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier, dextercioby, andresB and 1 other person
Independent of whether the Bogoliubov transform can be implemented unitarily or not, you can only expect a (reasonable) generator to exist if you have a continuous group of Bogoliubov transformations that induced a continuous group of unitaries, parametrized by a parameter ##t##. In that case, you get the generator by differentiation with respect to ##t## (Stone's theorem). If you are satisfied with an operator G such that ##U = e^{-iG}##, you may try to take the logarithm of ##U##, but in general, you won't get a unique answer.

Nullstein said:
Independent of whether the Bogoliubov transform can be implemented unitarily or not, you can only expect a (reasonable) generator to exist if you have a continuous group of Bogoliubov transformations
The group of Bogoliubov transformations under discussion is a finite-dimensional symplectic group, which obviously satisfies your constraints. The generators are those of the corresponding Lie algeba. It is well-known how to represent the latter on a Hilbert space with operators satisfying the canonical commutation relations by means of homogenous quadratic expressions in the canonical operators. This is done by going over to creation and annihilation operators and using normally ordered quadratics in these.

Likes vanhees71
A. Neumaier said:
The group of Bogoliubov transformations under discussion is a finite-dimensional symplectic group, which obviously satisfies your constraints. The generators are those of the corresponding Lie algeba. It is well-known how to represent the latter on a Hilbert space with operators satisfying the canonical commutation relations by means of homogenous quadratic expressions in the canonical operators. This is done by going over to creation and annihilation operators and using normally ordered quadratics in these.
There is no group of Bogoliubov transformations under discussion though. The OP is talking about a single Bogoliubov transformation. Depending on which one-parameter subgroup of the full group of Bogoliubov transformations this single Bogoliubov transformation is part of, the generator will be different. It makes no sense to ask for a generator without specifying a one-parameter group. The one-parameter groups ##e^{i t}## and ##e^{2 i t}## both give the element ##1## at ##t=0##, but the generators are ##1## and ##2## respectively.

A. Neumaier said:
This is the case if ##n## is infinite, i.e., in qft. But in the OP's question, ##n## is finite, and by Stone's theorem, all Bogoliubov transformations are unitarily implemented.
It's good to see you're still on the ball... :oldsmile:

Nullstein said:
There is no group of Bogoliubov transformations under discussion though. The OP is talking about a single Bogoliubov transformation.
I read it as a set of Bogoliubov transformations parameterized by the 4 matrices A,B,C,D.

(But, yes, I know one should probably refrain from debating what an OP "really" meant.)

strangerep said:
I read it as a set of Bogoliubov transformations parameterized by the 4 matrices A,B,C,D.

(But, yes, I know one should probably refrain from debating what an OP "really" meant.)
Well, those four matrices specify one Bogoliubov transformation. In order to obtain a generator, one needs a parametrization in terms of a single parameter, e.g. ##A(t),\ldots,D(t)##, which induce a unitary one-parameter group ##U(t)##, so one can differentiate wrt. ##t##. The way I read the OP, he only has one transformation and I just wanted to make him aware that he might have a misconception about what a generator is.

1. What is a Hermitian generator?

A Hermitian generator is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a quantum system. It is a Hermitian operator that generates a unitary transformation, which preserves the symplectic structure of a system.

2. What is a Symplectic transformation?

A Symplectic transformation is a type of transformation that preserves the symplectic structure of a system. It is commonly used in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a system while maintaining its energy and momentum.

3. Why is it important to find the Hermitian generator of a Symplectic transformation?

Finding the Hermitian generator of a Symplectic transformation allows us to understand the dynamics of a system and make predictions about its future behavior. It also helps us to identify conserved quantities, such as energy and momentum, which are essential in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

4. How do you find the Hermitian generator of a Symplectic transformation?

The Hermitian generator of a Symplectic transformation can be found by solving a set of equations known as the Hamiltonian equations. These equations describe the evolution of a system in terms of its Hamiltonian, which is a function of the system's position and momentum variables.

5. Can the Hermitian generator of a Symplectic transformation be found for any system?

Yes, the Hermitian generator of a Symplectic transformation can be found for any system that exhibits a symplectic structure. This includes both classical and quantum mechanical systems, making it a widely applicable concept in physics and mathematics.