Multiplying three vector operators

In summary: The quantum operators corresponding to ##\mathscr A_1## and ##\mathscr A_2## will be $$\mathbf A_1 = r_1\mathbf{p}_1$$$$\mathbf A_2 = r_2\mathbf{p}_2$$
Kashmir
Given vector operators as
$$\mathbf{A} = (A_{1}, A_{2} ,A_{3}) $$

$$\mathbf{B} = (B_{1}, B_{2} ,B_{3}) $$

$$\mathbf{C} = (C_{1}, C_{2} ,C_{3}) $$

I know that for two vector operators $$\begin{equation}
\mathbf{Q} \mathbf{P} = \sum_{\alpha = 1}^{3} Q_{\alpha} P_{\alpha}
\end{equation}$$

What is $$\mathbf{A}\mathbf{B}\mathbf{C}$$ in component form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kashmir said:

\end{equation}$$

You didn't specify what kind of product you are looking at. (There are several.) But from appearances you are doing an inner (or "dot") product.

So
##\displaystyle \textbf{A} \cdot \textbf{B} = \sum_{i = 1}^3 A_i B_i = \lambda##, which is a scalar, so

##\left ( \textbf{A} \cdot \textbf{B} \right ) \textbf{C} = \left ( \begin{matrix} \lambda C_1 \\ \lambda C_2 \\ \lambda C_3 \end{matrix} \right )##

There is also the cross product, but you have to specify which pair you are multiplying first as the cross product is not associative. And finally, there's the tensor product, but that one's easy as there isn't any mixing: ##\textbf{A} \otimes \textbf{B} \otimes \textbf{C}##. There isn't really much of a component form for this, just
##\left ( \begin{matrix} A_1 \\ A_2 \\ A_3 \end{matrix} \right ) \otimes \left ( \begin{matrix} B_1 \\ B_2 \\ B_3 \end{matrix} \right ) \otimes \left ( \begin{matrix} C_1 \\ C_2 \\ C_3 \end{matrix} \right )##

-Dan

Likes Kashmir
Kashmir said:

\end{equation}$$

I wouldn't write it this way because it is ambiguous. I would write $$\begin{equation}
\mathbf{Q} \cdot \mathbf{P} = \sum_{\alpha = 1}^{3} Q_{\alpha} P_{\alpha}
\end{equation}$$ for clarity. This distinguishes between an operation ##\mathbf{Q} \cdot \mathbf{P}## which takes two vectors and produces a scalar and an operation ##\lambda \mathbf{Q}## which takes a vector and a scalar and produces a vector.

Note that ##(\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B}) \mathbf{C} \ne \mathbf{A}(\mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{C})## and also note that ##\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{C}## does not exist nor does ##\mathbf{A} \mathbf{B} \mathbf{C}##

Likes PeroK and Kashmir
Thank you.

I'm looking for the product which appears as the result of quantisation rule which takes the classical expression to the quantum one.

Suppose the classical quantites we have are $$\mathscr A_1(\mathbf{r,p,t})=\mathbf{r(p.r)}$$

$$\mathscr A_2(\mathbf{r,p,t})=\mathbf{(r.p)r}$$

What will be the quantum operators ##\mathbf A_1##,##\mathbf A_2## corresponding to ##\mathscr A_1## and ##\mathscr A_2##?

What is the definition of multiplying three vector operators?

Multiplying three vector operators refers to the mathematical operation of combining three different operators that operate on vectors. These operators can include dot product, cross product, and scalar multiplication.

What are the rules for multiplying three vector operators?

The rules for multiplying three vector operators vary depending on the specific operators being used. However, in general, the order of operations is important, and the operators should be applied from left to right. Additionally, the properties of each operator, such as commutativity and associativity, should be taken into account.

What is the result of multiplying three vector operators?

The result of multiplying three vector operators is a new vector that is obtained by applying each operator in the specified order. This new vector may have different properties or characteristics than the original vectors, depending on the operators used.

What are some real-world applications of multiplying three vector operators?

Multiplying three vector operators is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It can also be used in computer graphics and computer vision for operations such as rotation, translation, and scaling of objects.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when multiplying three vector operators?

One common mistake when multiplying three vector operators is not paying attention to the order of operations. Another mistake is not considering the properties of each operator and how they may affect the final result. It is also important to use the correct notation and understand the meaning of each operator being used.