Finding the induced EMF in a solenoid-wire system

In summary, the problem involves a solenoid with radius R and number of turns per length n, and a wire of length L that is tangent to the solenoid and perpendicular to its axis. The current in the solenoid is changing with rate α = di/dt and the goal is to find the induced emf on the wire. This can be solved by considering the system as a transformer and using the concept of mutual inductance to relate the changing flux and current in the primary and secondary circuits.
titansarus
Homework Statement
We have a very big solenoid like the figure below. (it stretches outside and inside of the screen) It has radius ##R## and number of turns per length ##n##. A very large wire of length ##L>>R## is tangent to the solenoid and perpendicular to its axis (without physically connecting to the solenoid). The Current in solenoid is changing with rate ##\alpha = di/dt##. Find the induced emf on the wire. Note that it is a question of Undergrad General Physics and is not meant to be solved with very advanced mathematical techniques.
Relevant Equations
##d \phi / dt = - \epsilon## ,##\phi = \int B da##
I know that ##B = \mu n I## and ##\phi = B \pi R^2##. So with have ##d\phi / dt = \mu n \alpha \pi R^2##. But I don't know what to do with this? is this the answer? I don't think so but I don't know what to do after this.

emf.png

Physics news on Phys.org
titansarus said:
Problem Statement: We have a very big solenoid like the figure below. (it stretches outside and inside of the screen) It has radius ##R## and number of turns per length ##n##. A very large wire of length ##L>>R## is tangent to the solenoid and perpendicular to its axis (without physically connecting to the solenoid). The Current in solenoid is changing with rate ##\alpha = di/dt##. Find the induced emf on the wire. Note that it is a question of Undergrad General Physics and is not meant to be solved with very advanced mathematical techniques.
Relevant Equations: ##d \phi / dt = - \epsilon## ,##\phi = \int B da##

I know that ##B = \mu n I## and ##\phi = B \pi R^2##. So with have ##d\phi / dt = \mu n \alpha \pi R^2##. But I don't know what to do with this? is this the answer? I don't think so but I don't know what to do after this.

View attachment 245176
This one is fun.
My 1st reaction was zero.

But then: think of the solenoid-wire system as a transformer. Then do two Gedankenexperimente a la Einstein:

Setup 1. consider the wire as the primary "winding" and the solenoid (coil) as the secondary. Coil is open. Then you can write the voltage across the coil in 2 ways: in terms of a changing flux and in terms of a changing primary current. In other words, this is just mutual inductance M and you can actually compute M for this setup.

Setup 2: now make the primary the coil and the secondary the wire. The wire is open. You can now write the voltage across the wire in terms of M and the coil current.

A very good problem IMO.

Realizing that it's the same M (not easy to prove BTW) you can now find the voltage across the wire.

What is an induced EMF?

An induced EMF, or electromagnetic force, is a voltage created by a changing magnetic field. It is caused by the motion of conductors through a magnetic field or by a changing magnetic field through a stationary conductor.

How is the induced EMF calculated?

The induced EMF can be calculated using Faraday's Law, which states that the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a closed loop. It can also be calculated using the equation E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, and dΦ/dt is the change in magnetic flux over time.

What factors affect the induced EMF in a solenoid-wire system?

The induced EMF is affected by the number of turns in the solenoid, the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the conductor, and the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor. It is also affected by the material of the conductor and the resistance of the circuit.

How does the direction of the induced EMF relate to the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the induced EMF is always perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux.

What are some applications of induced EMF in everyday life?

Induced EMF is used in many everyday devices, such as generators and transformers. It is also utilized in wireless charging, electric motors, and power transmission systems. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the function of many electronic devices, including speakers and microphones.