Finding the Kinetic Energy of a particle in 2mol of nitrogen

In summary: Can you show us how you arrived at answer A?I used the following equation: \[ PV=nRT\] The kinetic energy of a particle is inversely proportional to the volume of gas it is contained in. So, the smaller the particle, the more kinetic energy it has. I used the following equation: \[ PV=nRT\] The kinetic energy of a particle is inversely proportional to the volume of gas it is contained in. So, the smaller the particle, the more kinetic energy it has.
DracoMalfoy

Homework Statement

What is the kinetic energy of a particle in 2mol of nitrogen gas at atmospheric pressure that is within a volume of 100m^3?a. 1.27X10^-17J
b. 3X10^5J
c. 6.8X10^-16J
d. 2.97X10^7
e. 9.9X10^-14J

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
n=Numberof particles/Na
Na=6.02x10^23
R=8.13 J/Mol

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that atmospheric pressure is 1.013x10^5. The nitrogen part is what confuses me. I'm not sure where to start in solving this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the kinetic energy of a particle in a gas depend on? Does it depend on the pressure? The volume? If not, then what?

phyzguy said:
What does the kinetic energy of a particle in a gas depend on? Does it depend on the pressure? The volume? If not, then what?
I honestly don't know. I'm too frustrated to think straight at the moment. I am mad that I am not getting this.

DracoMalfoy said:
I honestly don't know. I'm too frustrated to think straight at the moment. I am mad that I am not getting this.

Do you have a book or course notes you can review? Have you talked about ideal gas theory in class?

phyzguy said:
Do you have a book or course notes you can review? Have you talked about ideal gas theory in class?

yes. we just learned this yesterday. i guess id have to look through the book. The teacher isn't very good. the class notes given are a bit confusing to understand

You may also find that Hyperphysics web site to be a great resource that succinctly summarizes specific topics.

Hint: Do a web search on Kinetic Temperature

gneill said:
You may also find that Hyperphysics web site to be a great resource that succinctly summarizes specific topics.

Hint: Do a web search on Kinetic Temperature

Thanks. Ill check it out. I tried again and got A. But the powers came out different on my calculator.

DracoMalfoy said:
Thanks. Ill check it out. I tried again and got A. But the powers came out different on my calculator.

Can you show us how you arrived at answer A?

1. What is the formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a particle in 2mol of nitrogen?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a particle in 2mol of nitrogen is KE = 3/2 * k * T, where k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38 x 10^-23 J/K) and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do we determine the temperature in Kelvin for this calculation?

To determine the temperature in Kelvin, we need to convert the temperature from degrees Celsius to Kelvin by adding 273.15. For example, if the temperature is 25°C, the temperature in Kelvin would be 298.15K.

3. What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy in this calculation?

The unit of measurement for kinetic energy in this calculation is Joules (J).

4. Can this formula be applied to any gas or only nitrogen?

This formula can be applied to any gas, as long as the temperature is given in Kelvin and the Boltzmann constant is used.

5. How does the number of moles affect the kinetic energy of the particles?

The number of moles does not directly affect the kinetic energy of the particles. However, it does affect the total kinetic energy of the gas since there are more particles present in 2mol of nitrogen compared to 1mol of nitrogen.