Finding the length of this side of similar figures

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the value of ##x## with the given information and suggests using a "3,4, 5" right triangle with 5x as the hypotenuse to get closer to a solution. However, it is noted that this may only provide a ratio and not the actual length. The conversation ends with the idea that any value for ##x## could potentially work.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Similarity
1643290279224.png

Is it possible to find the value of ##x##? I feel like the information is not enough to find it.

I have found EF, which is 19.8 cm (if this is helpful)

Thanks

Likes sysprog
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't find ##x## from the information given.

Likes sysprog, hutchphd, berkeman and 1 other person
Thank you very much PeroK

If you made a "3,4, 5" right triangle with 5x as the hypotenuse, you could get closer to a solution.

osilmag said:
If you made a "3,4, 5" right triangle with 5x as the hypotenuse, you could get closer to a solution.
Sorry I don't understand. I think what you suggest is related to ratio, not to actual length, or am I mistaken?

Thanks

It seems to me that you could make up any value for ##x##, e.g. 3, and then find that some other value, e.g. 5, would work just as well.

Related to Finding the length of this side of similar figures

1. How do you determine the scale factor between two similar figures?

The scale factor can be determined by dividing the length of a corresponding side in one figure by the length of the corresponding side in the other figure. This will give you a decimal value that represents the scale factor.

2. Can the scale factor be greater than 1?

Yes, the scale factor can be greater than 1. This means that the similar figures are enlarged versions of each other.

3. How do you use the scale factor to find the length of a side in a similar figure?

To find the length of a side in a similar figure, you can multiply the length of the corresponding side in the original figure by the scale factor. This will give you the length of the corresponding side in the similar figure.

4. What is the difference between similar figures and congruent figures?

Similar figures have the same shape but may have different sizes, while congruent figures have the same shape and size. In similar figures, the corresponding angles are equal and the corresponding sides are proportional, while in congruent figures, the corresponding angles and sides are equal.

5. Can you find the length of a side in a similar figure if you only know the scale factor?

Yes, you can find the length of a side in a similar figure if you know the scale factor and the length of the corresponding side in the original figure. You can multiply the length of the corresponding side by the scale factor to find the length of the corresponding side in the similar figure.