Finding the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format

In summary, the problem asks to find the value of f'(pi/4) for the function f(x) = lim (csct-cscx)/t-x, and the correct answer is 3root2. Various attempts at solving the problem, including using L'Hopital's Rule and rewriting the csc terms, were unsuccessful.
noonan

Homework Statement

Let f(x)=lim (csct-cscx)/t-x. Find the value of f'(pi/4)
t-x

Homework Equations

f(x)-f(a)/x-a

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing it from first principles but couldn't figure out how to get rid of h. I also tried doing L'hopital's rule and got root2 but I know the answer is 3root2. I also tried making the equation (cscx-root2)/x-(pi/4). Nothing seems to work!

Physics news on Phys.org
noonan said:

Homework Statement

Let f(x)=lim (csct-cscx)/t-x. Find the value of f'(pi/4)
t-x
Use parentheses around the terms in the denominator.
noonan said:

Homework Equations

f(x)-f(a)/x-a
Use parentheses around the numerator and denominator terms.
noonan said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing it from first principles but couldn't figure out how to get rid of h.
There is no h anywhere in your work.
noonan said:
I also tried doing L'hopital's rule and got root2 but I know the answer is 3root2. I also tried making the equation (cscx-root2)/x-(pi/4). Nothing seems to work!

Assuming that f(x) = csc(x), then f'([itex]\pi/4[/itex]) is given by this limit.
[tex]\lim_{x \to \pi/4}\frac{csc(x) - csc(\pi/4)}{x - \pi/4}[/tex]

My first step was to rewrite the csc terms using csc(x) = 1/sin(x). After that, I did some algebra to write the whole limit expression with a single numerator and a single denominator. If you are allowed to use L'Hopital's Rule, you get the answer pretty quickly.

Related to Finding the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format

1. What is the purpose of finding the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format?

The purpose of finding the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format is to determine the value that the function approaches as the input variable, x, gets closer and closer to a specific value, a. This can help in understanding the behavior of the function and its values near a particular point.

2. How is the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format calculated?

The limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format is calculated by substituting the value of a into the function and simplifying the resulting expression. This can be done algebraically or graphically by plotting the function and observing its behavior near the point a.

3. What does it mean if the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format does not exist?

If the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format does not exist, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as x gets closer and closer to a. This could be due to a jump or discontinuity in the function, or the function may approach different values from the left and right sides of a.

4. Can the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format be calculated at a point where the function is not defined?

No, the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format can only be calculated at a point where the function is defined. If the function is not defined at a particular point, then the limit at that point does not exist.

5. How does finding the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format help in determining the continuity of a function?

Finding the limit of a function in f(x)-f(a)/x-a format can help in determining the continuity of a function by checking if the limit at a point matches the value of the function at that point. If the two values are equal, then the function is continuous at that point. If the two values are not equal, then the function is not continuous at that point.