Use Graph To Investigate Limit

In summary, the conversation discusses using a graph to investigate the limit of a piecewise function as x approaches a given number c. The limit is found to be 2 from the left and 4 from the right, but the left-hand limit does not equal the right-hand limit, resulting in the conclusion that the limit does not exist. The person asking for help is advised to carefully graph the function and is given recommendations for online graphing tools.
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Use the graph of f(x) to investigate limit.
Relevant Equations
Piecewise Function
Use a graph to investigate limit of f(x) as
x→c at the number c.

Note: c is given to be 2. This number comes from the side conditions of the piecewise function.

See attachments.

lim (x + 2) as x tends to c from the left is 2.

lim x^2 as x tends to c from the right is 4.

LHL does not equal RHL.

Thus, the limit does not exist.

Note: If my graph is wrong, can someone please graph f(x)? I will then try again.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210616_091750.jpg
    20210616_091750.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210616_093416.jpg
    20210616_093416.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 90
Physics news on Phys.org
nycmathguy said:
Homework Statement:: Use the graph of f(x) to investigate limit.
Relevant Equations:: Piecewise Function

Use a graph to investigate limit of f(x) as
x→c at the number c.

Note: c is given to be 2. This number comes from the side conditions of the piecewise function.

See attachments.

lim (x + 2) as x tends to c from the left is 2.
No.
$$\lim_{x \to 2^-}x+ 2 = 4$$
nycmathguy said:
lim x^2 as x tends to c from the right is 4.
Yes.
nycmathguy said:
LHL does not equal RHL.
Thus, the limit does not exist.
Try again.
nycmathguy said:
Note: If my graph is wrong, can someone please graph f(x)? I will then try again.
Your graph is incorrect for several reasons. The linear part (y = x + 2) runs from the left up to, but not including, the point (2, 4). The quadratic part (y = x^2) runs to the right from, but not including, the point (2, 4). The point (2, 4) would be on both the line and the parabola.

Likes nycmathguy
Mark44 said:
No.
Yes.
Try again.
Your graph is incorrect for several reasons. The linear part (y = x + 2) runs from the left up to, but not including, the point (2, 4). The quadratic part (y = x^2) runs to the right from, but not including, the point (2, 4). The point (2, 4) would be on both the line and the parabola.

I see my little typo. The limit does exist and it is 4.

nycmathguy said:
I see my little typo. The limit does exist and it is 4.
Right. Are you clear on what the graph looks like? The graph you showed was off by quite a lot.

Mark44 said:
No.
Yes.
Try again.
Can you please graph this function and post a picture here for me to see?

nycmathguy said:
Can you please graph this function and post a picture here for me to see?
Just follow my description that you quoted.

Mark44 said:
Just follow my description that you quoted.

Can you recommend a good online free app or site for graphing functions? I don't understand how to use Desmos.

I use wolframalpha.com, but questions like this one you shouldn't need any graphing software. A large part of precalc is aimed at getting you familiar with simple functions like the linear one in the problem, as well as parabolas and a few other functions.

If you use graph paper, you can get a reasonable graph. Without graph paper, you can do OK if you're careful with your tick marks. For this problem, the linear part of the function goes through (-2, 0), (0, 2) and up to, but not quite to (2, 4). The quadratic part starts off just to the right of the point (2, 4) and goes through (3, 9), (4, 16), and so on.

What is a limit in a graph?

A limit in a graph refers to the value that a function approaches as the input (x-value) approaches a specific value. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x) as x approaches a.

How can a graph be used to investigate a limit?

A graph can be used to investigate a limit by visually analyzing the behavior of the function as the input approaches the specified value. This can help determine if the limit exists and what its value is.

What does it mean if a limit does not exist in a graph?

If a limit does not exist in a graph, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as the input approaches the specified value. This can occur if the function has a jump, hole, or oscillating behavior at that point.

How can the limit of a function be calculated from a graph?

The limit of a function can be calculated from a graph by finding the y-value that the function approaches as the x-value approaches the specified value. This can be done by using the limit notation or by estimating the value from the graph.

What is the significance of using a graph to investigate a limit?

Using a graph to investigate a limit can provide a visual representation of the behavior of a function and help determine the existence and value of the limit. It can also aid in understanding the behavior of the function at a specific point and its overall trend.