Finding the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity

In summary: I don't know why, but I always forget to consider positives/negatives when working around square roots. Thanks a bunch for your clarification!Hope you don't feel so alone now. :redface:To solve this, I start off by dividing everything by ##x^3##:Numerator becomes ##\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3} = \sqrt{\frac{9x^6 - x}{x^6}} = \sqrt{9 - \frac{1}{x^5}}##Denominator becomes ##\frac{x^3 + 9}{x^3} = 1 + \frac{9
cmkluza

Homework Statement

Find the limit
$$\lim_{x\to-\infty} \frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3 + 9}$$

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this, I start off by dividing everything by ##x^3##:
Numerator becomes ##\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3} = \sqrt{\frac{9x^6 - x}{x^6}} = \sqrt{9 - \frac{1}{x^5}}##
Denominator becomes ##\frac{x^3 + 9}{x^3} = 1 + \frac{9}{x^3}##
As ##x## approaches ##-\infty##:
Numerator becomes ##\sqrt{9 - 0} = \sqrt{9} = 3##
Denominator becomes ##1 + 0 = 1##
So, the entire limit should evaluate to ##\frac{\sqrt{9}}{1} = 3##. Yet this is not the case. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
cmkluza said:
##\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3} = \sqrt{\frac{9x^6 - x}{x^6}}##
That is not correct if ##x## is negative. How should you adjust it for ##x## negative?

Likes cmkluza
Yet this is not the case. Why not? That's the only thing wrong I can see.

andrewkirk said:
That is not correct if ##x## is negative. How should you adjust it for ##x## negative?
Ah, now I remember. Because ##x## is approaching minus infinity, it will be negative: ##x^3## should be negative if ##x## is negative, but ##x^6## would return a positive number. So, I just need to switch the sign in that equation, right? ##\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3} = -\sqrt{\frac{9x^6 - x}{x^6}}## Therefore the answer is -3, not 3.

I don't know why, but I always forget to consider positives/negatives when working around square roots. Thanks a bunch for your clarification!

Hope you don't feel so alone now. :redface:

Likes andrewkirk and cmkluza
cmkluza said:
Numerator becomes ##\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3} = \sqrt{\frac{9x^6 - x}{x^6}} = \sqrt{9 - \frac{1}{x^5}}##
##\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3} = \frac{|x^3|\sqrt{9 - \frac 1 {x^5}}}{x^3}##
The fraction ##\frac{|x^3|}{x^3}## evaluates to -1 if x < 0, and 1 if x > 0.

cmkluza said:

Homework Statement

Find the limit
$$\lim_{x\to-\infty} \frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3 + 9}$$

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

As ##x## approaches ##-\infty##:
Numerator becomes ##\sqrt{9 - 0} = \sqrt{9} = 3##
Denominator becomes ##1 + 0 = 1##
So, the entire limit should evaluate to ##\frac{\sqrt{9}}{1} = 3##. Yet this is not the case. What am I doing wrong?

Sometimes it helps to convert everything to positives, by putting ##x = -t## and taking ##t \to +\infty##. That does not really change anything, but it eliminates one possible source of confusion/error.

What is the definition of the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity?

The limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity is the value that the quotient approaches as x becomes infinitely large in the negative direction. This is denoted by the notation lim(x→-∞) and is used to determine the behavior of a function as it approaches negative infinity.

How do you find the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity?

To find the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity, you can use the following steps:

• Substitute -∞ for x in the quotient.
  • Simplify the quotient as much as possible.
  • If the simplified quotient has an x term, the limit does not exist.
  • If the simplified quotient does not have an x term, the limit is the coefficient of the highest degree term.

Why is finding the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity important?

Finding the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function as x approaches negative infinity. This can help us make predictions about the function and its graph, and can also be used in real-world applications such as modeling growth or decay.

What are some common mistakes when finding the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity?

Some common mistakes when finding the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity include:

• Forgetting to substitute -∞ for x in the quotient.
  • Simplifying the quotient incorrectly.
  • Assuming the limit does not exist without fully evaluating the simplified quotient.
  • Confusing the limit as x goes to minus infinity with the limit as x goes to positive infinity.

Can the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity be a negative value?

Yes, the limit of a quotient as x goes to minus infinity can be a negative value. This can occur if the quotient has a negative coefficient on the highest degree term, or if the simplified quotient evaluates to a negative value. It is important to remember that the limit is a value, not a direction, so it can be positive or negative.