Finding the magnetic field at a point

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field at point P, which is located at the center of two infinitely long wires carrying currents in opposite directions. The individual's initial guess is that the net magnetic field at P would be zero, but the book states that the direction of the fields should also be considered. The expert asks the individual to think about the direction of the fields and suggests using Ampere's right hand rule. The individual then asks about using Bio-Savart's law and the expert explains that the magnitude and direction of the vectors ##\vec {dL}## and ##\vec r## should be considered. Finally, the expert confirms that the magnetic fields from both wires would be in the same direction.
subhradeep mahata

Homework Statement

Find the magnetic field at point P.
upload_2018-11-13_16-41-15.png

(P is at the centre of two infinitely long wires, carrying current in opposite direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that since the current direction is opposite and distance between the point and the wires is same, net magnetic field at P is 0. Bust my book says that both the magnetic field direction is same, and hence net B will be the sum of B produced by the individual wires. Please help me out.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-13_16-41-15.png
    upload_2018-11-13_16-41-15.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 760
Physics news on Phys.org
subhradeep mahata said:

Homework Statement

Find the magnetic field at point P.
View attachment 233919
(P is at the centre of two infinitely long wires, carrying current in opposite direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that since the current direction is opposite and distance between the point and the wires is same, net magnetic field at P is 0. Bust my book says that both the magnetic field direction is same, and hence net B will be the sum of B produced by the individual wires. Please help me out.

You need to think about the direction of the magnetic fields, not just the magnitudes.

Since, the direction of current is opposite, won't the B be equal and opposite and cancel out?

subhradeep mahata said:
Since, the direction of current is opposite, won't the B be equal and opposite and cancel out?

You need to think a little harder about the field direction. It circles around each wire. The point is below one wire and above the other.

Sir I think you did not get the diagram. The two wires are parallel to each other, and lying in the same plane, with the point P in between them.
The wires are not above or below.

subhradeep mahata said:
Sir I think you did not get the diagram. The two wires are parallel to each other, and lying in the same plane, with the point P in between them.
The wires are not above or below.

I get the diagram. Just picture the plane as vertical. Do you know about Ampere's right hand rule for determining the field direction?

Yes, I know it. But I want to find it out using Bio-Savart's law.

subhradeep mahata said:
Yes, I know it. But I want to find it out using Bio-Savart's law.

That's fine. So ##\vec {dL}## and ##\vec r## have the same magnitude for each wire. How do their directions compare?

One should be inside and other should be outside the plane of paper.

subhradeep mahata said:
One should be inside and other should be outside the plane of paper.

That's not very clear. I think you would agree that that ##\vec {dL_1} = -\vec {dL_2}## (where the numbers indicate the two wires) just because the wires are parallel and the current flow is in opposite directions. What's the relation between ##\vec r_1## and ##\vec r_2##?

r1 vector = -r2 vector, i suppose

subhradeep mahata said:
r1 vector = -r2 vector, i suppose

Right. That's what I meant by 'above' and 'below'. So what about the cross product and the magnetic field?

So the B will be in the same direction.
I get it now.
Thanks.

1. What is the magnetic field at a point?

The magnetic field at a point is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic force experienced by a charged particle at that point.

2. How is the magnetic field at a point measured?

The magnetic field at a point can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field in the surrounding area.

3. What factors affect the magnetic field at a point?

The magnetic field at a point is affected by the strength and orientation of the magnetic source, as well as the distance from the source and any intervening materials that may alter the field.

4. How is the magnetic field at a point calculated?

The magnetic field at a point can be calculated using the mathematical equation known as the Biot-Savart law, which takes into account the strength and orientation of the magnetic source, as well as the distance from the source.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the magnetic field at a point?

Finding the magnetic field at a point is essential in many areas of science and technology, including navigation with compasses and GPS systems, medical imaging with MRI machines, and the development of electric motors and generators.