Finding the Magnitude of a Displacement Vector with Multiple Components

• Thread starter thschica
  • Start date
In summary, the clown's total displacement can be found by adding the three vectors given in the problem and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resulting vector. The vectors are 8.0 m north, 3.5 m at an angle of 35 degrees east of north, and 5.0 m due east. By adding these vectors, the final position of the clown can be determined and the magnitude of this vector gives the total displacement.
thschica
During a rodeo, a clown runs 8.0 m north, turns 35 degrees east of north, and runs 3.5 m. Then, after waiting for the bull to come near, the clown turns due east and runs 5.0 m to exit the arena. What is the magnitude of the clown's total displacement?

When I did this I got a trapazoid shape and I tried to solve it but I got 10.3 and 16.6.How am I supposed to do one like this? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
total displacement is the distance from the start point to the finish point. find that distance and you solve the problem. you should not be getting a trapezoid unless he started where he finished. if that is the case, you do not need any math.

thschica said:
During a rodeo, a clown runs 8.0 m north, turns 35 degrees east of north, and runs 3.5 m. Then, after waiting for the bull to come near, the clown turns due east and runs 5.0 m to exit the arena. What is the magnitude of the clown's total displacement?

When I did this I got a trapazoid shape and I tried to solve it but I got 10.3 and 16.6.How am I supposed to do one like this? :cry:

You have three vectors, right? Do you know how to add vectors by adding their components? Just do this to get the final position of the clown. Then you just need to find the magnitude of that vector.

To get you started your second vector is
[tex]
3.5*<cos(55), sin(55)>
[/tex]

Now just figure out what the other two vectors are and just add 'em up. Then use you're good friend, the pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of this vector. Do you understand?:smile:

What does "I really love this one" mean?

It means that the person has strong positive feelings towards the subject or object in question.

Why do people say "I really like this one"?

People may say this to express their enjoyment or preference for something.

Is there a difference between "I really enjoy this one" and "I really like this one"?

Both phrases convey positive feelings, but "enjoy" may imply a deeper level of satisfaction or pleasure.

Can "I really like this one" also mean dislike?

No, the word "like" typically indicates a positive sentiment. If someone wants to express dislike, they may say "I don't really like this one."

Why do people use "I really like this one" instead of just "I like this one"?

The addition of "really" may emphasize the strength of their feelings towards the subject or object.