Resultant Displacement with direction problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a person runs towards the west at a velocity of 4 m/s for 5 minutes, followed by running in the northeast direction (halfway between north and east) at a velocity of 2 m/s for 8 minutes. The questions ask for the total running distance and resultant displacement relative to the starting position after 13 minutes. The solution involves converting minutes to seconds and using trigonometry to solve for the horizontal and vertical components. However, the exact method used is not specified and may have resulted in incorrect answers.
pennywise1234

Homework Statement

You run towards the west with a velocity of 4 m/s for 5 minutes. You then continue running to the northeast (halfway between north and east) at 2 m/s for 8 minutes. (a) At the end of the 13 minute run , what was your total running distance? (b) At the end of the 13 minute run, what was your resultant displacement relative to your starting position?

Homework Equations

trig

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the total distance by converting minutes into seconds and multiply the number by each velocity i got 2160m for total running distance. i was unable to figure out the resultant i created the triangle with using 45 degrees as the angle (due to the north east reference), but i am not getting the answers similar to the answer keyi used the given numbers to find the vertical and horizontal components so i made my triangle with the 45 degree reference and 2m/s to find the horizontal and vertical components (i solved using trig) that did not due.i then tried using the numbers converted to seconds and that did not work either. So i used 960m/s to solve the triangle with the 45 degree reference . As that is the number you get when you multiple 2x60x8. I am also including the 4 or 1200(when multiplied) as an added horizontal component and did not get the right answer

where did i got wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
pennywise1234 said:
where did i got wrong
No way to tell if you do not post your working.

What is resultant displacement with direction problem?

Resultant displacement with direction problem is a physics concept that involves finding the overall displacement of an object given its initial position and subsequent displacements. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each displacement.

How is resultant displacement with direction calculated?

To calculate resultant displacement with direction, you can use vector addition. This involves breaking each displacement into its horizontal and vertical components, adding them separately, and then combining them using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

What is the difference between resultant displacement and total displacement?

Resultant displacement considers both the magnitude and direction of each displacement, while total displacement only takes into account the final position relative to the initial position. In other words, total displacement is the straight-line distance between the initial and final positions, while resultant displacement is the shortest distance between the two points with respect to direction.

Can resultant displacement with direction be negative?

Yes, resultant displacement with direction can be negative. This occurs when the object moves in the opposite direction of its initial position. Negative displacement simply indicates the direction of the object's movement.

How is resultant displacement with direction used in real life?

Resultant displacement with direction is used in many real-life applications, such as navigation, engineering, and sports. It allows us to accurately determine the overall displacement of an object, which is necessary for understanding and predicting its motion.