Finding the Mass of a Meter Stick (Torque and Balance)

I really appreciate it!In summary, the problem involves balancing a meter stick with a 216.82 g mass attached at the 90 cm position. After adjusting the position of the knife edge and determining the mass of the meter stick without using a balance, the student encounters some difficulties and receives a hint from their teacher. Through further discussion and calculations, it is determined that the center of mass of the meter stick is located at 50 cm, resulting in a distance of 30 cm from the fulcrum. With this information, the student is able to continue solving the problem.
Katelyn

Homework Statement

Attach a 216.82 g mass at the 90 cm position. Red-adjust the position of the knife edge such that the meter stick is once again balanced. Determine the mass of the meter stick without using the balance.

2. Homework Equations

Torque = force * distance from center
F=ma
T1+T2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by plugging in all of the numbers into T1+T2=0:

(m1) (9.8) (80) - (216.82) (9.8) (10) = 0

(m1) (784) - 21,248.36 = 0

784 (m1) = 21,248.36

m1 = 27.1025

This is only the mass of the meter stick on the side without an added mass, so I then found the mass of the whole meter stick by doing this:
27.1025 = 0.8m

m = 33.88

The actual mass is supposed to be more than twice the mass that I found. That is the only hint I have gotten from my teacher. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong here, but any help would be greatly appreciated! Does it have something to do with my distances? That is what I suspect is wrong. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are definitely missing some key information in this problem. Can you share the entire problem with us please? For example, what position is the fulcrum at now?

Draw a picture. What makes up the torques on each side of the pivot point? There is something missing from your equation (summing the torques to zero). It looks like the pivot point is 10 cm from the suspended mass?

Unfortunately, this is all of the information that I have for the problem. As a part of the lab, we were supposed to find where to position the fulcrum so that the meter stick would stay balanced with the mass placed at 90 cm. We found that it balanced when the fulcrum was placed at 80 cm. The torque on the left side (where there is no added mass) would be made up of the mass of the meter stick and 80 cm of distance from the fulcrum? I think that is probably what I am getting wrong. I know that the torque on the right side is made up of the mass of the meter stick plus the mass of the 216.82 g and the distance of 10 cm from the fulcrum. Is that right?

Katelyn said:
We found that it balanced when the fulcrum was placed at 80 cm
That’s what I was looking for.

Katelyn said:
(m1) (9.8) (80) - (216.82) (9.8) (10) = 0
Your problem is with that 80 cm term on the left. We can pretend that m1g (gravity of the Earth on the meterstick) is acting at one point on the meterstick. What mark would that be? Also, how far is that mark from the 80 cm mark?

EDIT:
The part about the units was removed by me. It does not make a difference for your final answer. But, SI units would still be recommended by me.

ANOTHER EDIT:
That last part has awful grammar—there is a problem using the letter “eye” on my phone when editing the post. Sorry if it made me sound bad.

Would the distance on that side equal zero? I guess I am just confused about the distance on that side because it seems like the force of gravity would be acting on infinitely many points all across the meter stick. Does that make any sense or am I totally wrong?

Katelyn said:
Would the distance on that side equal zero? I guess I am just confused about the distance on that side because it seems like the force of gravity would be acting on infinitely many points all across the meter stick. Does that make any sense or am I totally wrong?
You are right—but, it turns out that gravity can be thought of as acting on only one point: the center of mass. Assuming that your ruler is uniform, what mark will the CM be at?

Ahhh, that makes sense. I should have remembered that! It would be at the 90 cm mark where the added mass is correct? The center of mass is at the point where the mass is most concentrated?

Katelyn said:
Ahhh, that makes sense. I should have remembered that! It would be at the 90 cm mark where the added mass is correct? The center of mass is at the point where the mass is most concentrated?
That is incorrect. Note here that we are analyzing two separate objects here. We are only talking about the center of mass of the meterstick. The weight is separate. Also, that is not the correct definition of the center of mass. It could be explained here, but there are some really really good videos on YouTube that explain the concept great. I’d try one of those for a refresher.

I found this definition: For simple rigid objects with uniform density, the center of mass is located at the https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/linear-momentum/center-of-mass/a/math/geometry/triangle-properties/medians-centroids. That would mean that the center of mass for the meterstick would be at 50 centimeters, correct?

Katelyn said:
I found this definition: For simple rigid objects with uniform density, the center of mass is located at the https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/linear-momentum/center-of-mass/a/math/geometry/triangle-properties/medians-centroids. That would mean that the center of mass for the meterstick would be at 50 centimeters, correct?
Exactly! What does this make your distance that you are looking for?

If I take the location of the fulcrum at 80 cm and subtract the center of mass at 50 cm, that would mean the distance would be 30 cm?

IMO right now you have the perfect ability to finish this problem, so I’ll let you go at the rest of it yourself.

Okay, great! Thank you so much for your help!

1. How do I find the mass of a meter stick using torque and balance?

To find the mass of a meter stick using torque and balance, you will need to set up a balanced lever system with the meter stick as the lever arm. Place weights on one end of the meter stick until the stick is balanced and the pointer on the balance is at zero. The sum of the weights on the lever arm will be equal to the mass of the meter stick.

2. What is the principle behind using torque and balance to find the mass of a meter stick?

The principle behind using torque and balance to find the mass of a meter stick is based on the fact that in a balanced lever system, the sum of the clockwise moments is equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. By adjusting the weights on one side of the meter stick, you can create a balanced system and calculate the mass of the stick.

3. Can I use any type of weights for this experiment?

It is recommended to use standard masses, such as calibrated weights or coins, for this experiment. This will ensure accurate results and eliminate any potential errors from using non-standard weights.

4. Is it necessary to have a balance with a pointer for this experiment?

Having a balance with a pointer will make it easier to identify when the system is balanced, but it is not absolutely necessary. You can also use a digital balance and adjust the weights until the numerical reading is at zero, indicating a balanced system.

5. What are some common sources of error in this experiment?

Some common sources of error in this experiment include not having the meter stick placed exactly at the pivot point, using non-standard weights, and not accounting for the weight of the string or other materials used to hang the weights on the lever arm. It is important to be precise and careful in your measurements to minimize these potential errors.