Finding the mass of a planet is a binary system

In summary, the planets in a binary system orbit around a center of mass that is located in the center of the binary stars. The orbital speed and orbital period for the planets are determined by the masses of the two stars in the binary system. The distance traveled in one orbital period is determined by the mass of the planet and the orbital radius is found by using Kepler's third law.
Zynoakib

Homework Statement

Plaskett’s binary system consists of two stars that revolve
in a circular orbit about a center of mass midway between
them. This statement implies that the masses of the two
stars are equal. Assume the orbital speed
of each star is 220 km/s and the orbital period
of each is 14.4 days. Find the mass M of each star.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Kelper's 3rd Law

Mass of the planet = (4(pi)^2(r)^3)/GT^2

T = 1244160
r = 8.72 x 10^10
G = 6.672 x 10^-11

Mass = 2.54 x 10^32, but the answer is 1.26 x 10^32 which is exactly half of my answer

why should I further divide my answer by 2? Is it because there are two planets in the system? But if I use the same equation to calculate the Sun's mass, I just need to substitute all those unknown into the equation without the need to consider the mass of the Earth. So what's wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kepler's third law was originally in the context of planets orbiting the sun. In that context, the sun is so massive compared with the planets that the orbital radius is effectively the distance from the sun's centre. That won't be the case with two equal mass stars, so I'm not sure what the appropriate r is here. Also, how did you obtain r?

Likes Zynoakib
haruspex said:
Kepler's third law was originally in the context of planets orbiting the sun. In that context, the sun is so massive compared with the planets that the orbital radius is effectively the distance from the sun's centre. That won't be the case with two equal mass stars, so I'm not sure what the appropriate r is here. Also, how did you obtain r?

orbital speed of each star = 220 km/s
orbital period of each = 14.4 days.
Distance Traveled in one period = (220000)(14.4 x 24 x 60 x 60)m. Then, you can get the radius from 2(pi)r

I have solved the problem by using centripetal force= gravitational pull. So probably using Kepler's third law is wrong for binary system.

Thanks anyway

1. How do you find the mass of a planet in a binary system?

In a binary system, the mass of a planet can be determined by observing the motion of the two stars in the system. By measuring the orbital period and distance between the stars, the mass of each star can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law. Then, using the observed motion of the planet in the system, its mass can be calculated based on its gravitational influence on the stars.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the mass of a planet in a binary system?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the mass of a planet in a binary system. These include uncertainties in the measurements of the stars' orbital parameters, the presence of other planets or objects in the system, and the effects of relativity and gravitational interactions between the stars and the planet.

3. Can the mass of a planet in a binary system change over time?

Yes, the mass of a planet in a binary system can change over time due to various factors such as collisions with other objects, accretion of material from the surrounding disk, or interactions with other planets or objects in the system. However, these changes are typically very small and may not be detectable over short periods of time.

4. How is the mass of Earth used to find the mass of other planets in a binary system?

Earth's mass is often used as a reference when calculating the mass of other planets in a binary system. This is because Earth's mass is well-known and can be used to calibrate the measurements and calculations used to determine the masses of other planets. Additionally, Earth's mass can also be used to estimate the masses of other planets based on their size and composition.

5. Can the mass of a planet in a binary system be determined without directly observing it?

Yes, the mass of a planet in a binary system can be calculated without directly observing it. This is possible because the planet's mass can be inferred from its effect on the motion of the stars in the system. By carefully studying the stars' orbital parameters and any deviations in their motion, scientists can accurately calculate the mass of the planet even if it cannot be directly observed.