Finding the max frequency of a driven oscillator

He then simplifies ## A ## to get the equation you have written.In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equation for the amplitude of a driven oscillator and the process of finding the turning point by taking the derivative and setting it to 0. The conversation also mentions a difference in the definition of the damping coefficient, but both definitions are commonly used. The speaker asks for clarification on the process of finding the turning point, which involves taking the derivative and setting it to 0.
SuchBants
So I've derived the equation for the amplitude of a driven oscillator as:

[itex]\huge A=\frac{F}{m\sqrt{(\omega_{0}^{2}-\omega_{d}^{2})^{2}+4\gamma^{2}\omega_{d}^{2}}}[/itex]

Which is what my lecturer has written. Then taking the derivative and setting it to 0 to get the turning point. He makes this leap:

https://imgur.com/a/gE7Y0Di

gE7Y0Di

How does he do that? I can't do it.

Also an auxiliary question. I was watching Walter Lewin on this here .
And he uses

[itex]\huge
{\gamma}=\frac{b}{m}[/itex]

Whereas I've been taught:

[itex]\huge
{\gamma}=\frac{b}{2m}[/itex]

Where ϒ is the damping coefficient. Which is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
His definition is ok. Both are used for ## \gamma ##. ## \\ ## If you take the derivative ## \frac{dA}{d \omega_D} ## and set it equal to zero, you get the peak of the ## A ## vs. ## \omega_D ## graph,(the resonant frequency), which peaks just slightly off from ## \omega_o=\sqrt{k/m} ##. The derivative is quite a simple operation with the chain rule. ## \\ ## Note: He starts with ## F(t)=Fe^{i \omega_D t} ##, and computes the amplitude ## A=|x| ##.

Likes berkeman and Lord Jestocost

1. How do you find the maximum frequency of a driven oscillator?

In order to find the maximum frequency of a driven oscillator, you can use the formula: fmax = 1/(2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance of the oscillator.

2. Can the maximum frequency of a driven oscillator be changed?

Yes, the maximum frequency of a driven oscillator can be changed by altering the values of L and C, which will affect the resonant frequency of the oscillator.

3. How does the maximum frequency of a driven oscillator affect its performance?

The maximum frequency of a driven oscillator determines the range of frequencies at which it can efficiently operate. A higher maximum frequency allows the oscillator to perform at a wider range of frequencies.

4. What factors can affect the maximum frequency of a driven oscillator?

The maximum frequency of a driven oscillator can be affected by the values of L and C, as well as external factors such as temperature and voltage fluctuations.

5. Can the maximum frequency of a driven oscillator be higher than the natural resonant frequency?

No, the maximum frequency of a driven oscillator cannot be higher than its natural resonant frequency. It can only be equal to or lower than the natural resonant frequency.