Finding the Maximum Likelihood Estimator for a Density Function

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the maximum Likelihood estimator for the density function $f_x(x)=\frac{2c^2}{x^3}$ with $x\geq 0$ and $c\geq 0$. The likelihood function and its logarithm are discussed, as well as the derivative and the maximum of $L(c)$. The conversation also touches upon the concerns about the density function not satisfying the requirements for a probability density function.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have the density function $f_x(x)=\frac{2c^2}{x^3}, x\geq 0, c\geq 0$.

I want to calculate the maximum Likelihood estimator for $c$.

We have the Likelihood Function $$L(c)=\prod_{i=1}^nf_{X_i}(x_i;c)=\prod_{i=1}^n\frac{2c^2}{x_i^3}$$

The logarithm of the Likelihood function is \begin{align*}\ell (c)&=\ln L(c)=\ln \left (\prod_{i=1}^n\frac{2c^2}{x_i^3}\right )=\sum_{i=1}^n\ln \frac{2c^2}{x_i^3}=\sum_{i=1}^n \left [\ln (2c^2)-\ln (x_i^3)\right ]\\ &=n\ln (2c^2)-\sum_{i=1}^n \ln (x_i^3) =n\left (\ln 2+\ln c^2\right )-3\sum_{i=1}^n \ln (x_i)\\ &=n\left (\ln 2+2\ln c\right )-3\sum_{i=1}^n \ln (x_i)=n\ln 2+2n\ln c-3\sum_{i=1}^n \ln (x_i)\end{align*}

The deivative is $$\ell'(c)=\frac{\partial}{\partial{c}}\left (n\ln 2+2n\ln c-3\sum_{i=1}^n \ln (x_i)\right )= \frac{2n}{c}>0$$
So $\ell$ is increasing.

How can we get from here the maximum?

Or is it easier to calculate the maximum of $L(c)$ instead of $\ell (c)$ ?

(Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

We have the density function $f_x(x)=\frac{2c^2}{x^3}, x\geq 0, c\geq 0$.

Hey mathmari!

Shouldn't we have that the integral of the density function is $1$?
It seems to me that whatever we pick for $c$ this is not the case. (Worried)

mathmari said:
I want to calculate the maximum Likelihood estimator for $c$.

We have the Likelihood Function $$L(c)=\prod_{i=1}^nf_{X_i}(x_i;c)=\prod_{i=1}^n\frac{2c^2}{x_i^3}$$

The logarithm of the Likelihood function is \begin{align*}\ell (c)&=\ln L(c)=\ln \left (\prod_{i=1}^n\frac{2c^2}{x_i^3}\right )=\sum_{i=1}^n\ln \frac{2c^2}{x_i^3}=\sum_{i=1}^n \left [\ln (2c^2)-\ln (x_i^3)\right ]\\ &=n\ln (2c^2)-\sum_{i=1}^n \ln (x_i^3) =n\left (\ln 2+\ln c^2\right )-3\sum_{i=1}^n \ln (x_i)\\ &=n\left (\ln 2+2\ln c\right )-3\sum_{i=1}^n \ln (x_i)=n\ln 2+2n\ln c-3\sum_{i=1}^n \ln (x_i)\end{align*}

The deivative is $$\ell'(c)=\frac{\partial}{\partial{c}}\left (n\ln 2+2n\ln c-3\sum_{i=1}^n \ln (x_i)\right )= \frac{2n}{c}>0$$
So $\ell$ is increasing.

How can we get from here the maximum?

Or is it easier to calculate the maximum of $L(c)$ instead of $\ell (c)$ ?

It means that the maximum is at the right boundary of the domain, doesn't it?
And we could already observe that in $L(c)$ since it's a linear function of $c^{2n}$.

However, it seems that the density function does not satisfy the requirements of a density function.
Consequently we cannot do a likelihood analysis. (Thinking)

Please go back and check this problem again! First, as I like Serena said, there is NO value of c that makes this a probability density function. Second, you are trying to take a product over integer values of n but there is no "n" in the problem! The only variable is "x" and it is a continuous variable.

Ah ok! Thank you! (Smile)

1. What is a Maximum Likelihood estimator?

A Maximum Likelihood estimator is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution based on a given set of data. It calculates the most likely values for the parameters that would have produced the given data.

2. How does a Maximum Likelihood estimator work?

The Maximum Likelihood estimator works by finding the values of the parameters that maximize the likelihood function, which is a measure of how likely the given data is to occur for a particular set of parameter values. This is typically done using optimization techniques such as gradient descent.

3. What are the assumptions for using a Maximum Likelihood estimator?

The main assumptions for using a Maximum Likelihood estimator are that the data is independent and identically distributed (IID) and that there is no bias in the data. Additionally, the data should follow a known probability distribution.

4. What are the advantages of using a Maximum Likelihood estimator?

One of the main advantages of a Maximum Likelihood estimator is that it produces unbiased estimates of the parameters. It is also a relatively simple and intuitive method that can be applied to a wide range of data sets and probability distributions.

5. What are some limitations of a Maximum Likelihood estimator?

One limitation of a Maximum Likelihood estimator is that it assumes that the data follows a known probability distribution, which may not always be the case. It can also be sensitive to outliers in the data and may not perform well with small sample sizes.