Finding the Optimal Angle: Solving the Archer Projectile Problem

• Thread starter sarabeara1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, an archer on a 30.0 degree upward slope with a constant incline aims at a target 60.0 m away. The arrow and the bull's-eye are both 1.50 m above the ground. The initial velocity of the arrow is 32.0 m/s. To hit the bull's-eye, the archer must aim at an angle above the horizontal, which can be found using trigonometric equations and iteration methods. This angle will be different for a level ground with 0 slope. The same process can be repeated for a 30.0 degree downward slope.
sarabeara1990

Homework Statement

An archer on ground that has a constant upward slope of 30.0 degrees aims at a target 60.0 m farther up the incline. The arrow in the bow and the bull's-eye at the center of the target are each 1.50 m above the ground. The initial velocity of the arrow just after it leaves the bow has magnitude 32.0 m/s.
A)At what angle above the horizontal should the archer aim to hit the bull's-eye? If there are two such angles, calculate the smaller of the two. You might have to solve the equation for the angle by iteration—that is, by trial and error.
B)How does the angle compare to that required when the ground is level, with 0 slope?
C)Repeat the above for ground that has a constant downward slope of 30.0 degrees.

Homework Equations

|V0|= sqrt(Vx2 + Vy2)
arctan(Vy/Vx) = theta
phi = theta + 30 degrees
Vx = 32sin(theta)
Vy = 32cos(theta)
Vy = V0y-gt
X = V0xt
y = V0yt

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue is finding time. I tried just basic V=D/T but I know that isn't the correct way. Once I have time, I could find my x and y velocity components and take the arctan to find my angle theta. When using my time from V=D/T I plugged it into x = V0xt in order to find my x velocity component. I also plugged it into Vy = -gt to find my y component. I then took the arctan of the y over x.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let φ be the angle between velocity and the inclined plane.
Turn the axis so that let the x-axis be along the inclined plane and the y-axis is perpendicular to it.
Take the component of g along these two axis. Now
x = (vx)*t - 1/2*(gx)*t^2...(1)
Since arrow and the the bull's eye are in the same level, net displacement (y) is zero. So
y = (vy)t - 1/2*(gy)*t^2 ...(2)
From the second equation find t. Substitute this value of t in equation (1) and solve for φ.

Last edited:

Related to Finding the Optimal Angle: Solving the Archer Projectile Problem

What is the "Archer Projectile Problem"?

The "Archer Projectile Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the optimal angle and velocity for an archer to launch a projectile (such as an arrow) in order to hit a specific target.

Why is the "Archer Projectile Problem" important?

The "Archer Projectile Problem" has practical applications in fields such as archery, ballistics, and space exploration. It also helps to understand the underlying physics and mathematics behind projectile motion.

What factors affect the solution to the "Archer Projectile Problem"?

The solution to the "Archer Projectile Problem" is affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, the air resistance, and the gravitational force.

What is the formula for calculating the optimal angle and velocity in the "Archer Projectile Problem"?

The formula for calculating the optimal angle and velocity in the "Archer Projectile Problem" is known as the range equation, which takes into account the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and gravitational force. It is given by R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the horizontal distance traveled, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the gravitational force.

How can the "Archer Projectile Problem" be solved?

The "Archer Projectile Problem" can be solved using various methods, such as analytical calculations, numerical approximations, and computer simulations. These methods involve using the range equation and considering other factors such as wind and target location to find the optimal angle and velocity for hitting the target.