Finding the output current in an op-amp.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an ideal op-amp and finding the output current. The initial attempt at a solution involved using KCL at the Vn node, but the assumptions made were re-considered and a new approach using the equation Vout=(-Rf/Rs)*Vs was used to solve for Vout. It was then determined that Vout was outside the linear range of the op-amp and adjustments were made to find the correct value for Vout and subsequently solve for the output current.
mnvaughn

Homework Statement

The problem is gives an ideal op-amp and wants me to find the output current of it. Here is a picture of the problem.
http://i.imgur.com/NfO6q.png

Homework Equations

vp=vn
in=ip=0

The Attempt at a Solution

So what i did is take KCL at the Vn node...

(Vn-10)/5K + (Vn-Vout)/10K = 0

Since vp=0 then vn must equal zero

-10/5k-Vout/10k=0

So Vout=-20

But because it's out of the amplifiers range which is from -15 to 15 volts, then Vout is 15 volts. So I then do KCL at the final node to solve for iout...
(15-0)/10K + 15/10K = -iout
-3mA=iout
But the answer to the question is -3.167mA. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Re-consider your assumption "Since vp=0 then vn must equal zero".

The Electrician said:
Re-consider your assumption "Since vp=0 then vn must equal zero".

Nice!

Ok so I instead I did Vout=(-Rf/Rs)*Vs
So (-10K/5K)*10
Vout=-20
But since Vout is still not with the linear range of the power rails, isn't Vout=15?

NVM I got it. So my mistake was that since Vout is -20 and outside the linear range of the op-amp then Vout is -15. From there I did KCL at the Vn node with the new Vout.
(Vn-10)/5K + (Vn+15)/10K = 0
Vn=5/3
From there I did KCL at the output Vout:
(-15-5/3)/10K - 15/10K = Iout
Iout=-3.167 mA

Related to Finding the output current in an op-amp.

1. How does an op-amp work?

An op-amp (operational amplifier) is a type of electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It has a high gain, high input impedance, and low output impedance, which allows it to amplify small input signals to a larger output signal.

2. What is the output current of an op-amp?

The output current of an op-amp is dependent on the input voltage and the gain of the op-amp. It can be calculated using the formula: Iout = (Vin+ - Vin-) x Av, where Vin+ and Vin- are the input voltages and Av is the voltage gain of the op-amp.

3. How do you find the voltage gain of an op-amp?

The voltage gain of an op-amp can be found by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. It is also equal to the ratio of the output current to the input current. Typically, the voltage gain of an op-amp is very high, often in the range of tens of thousands.

4. What factors affect the output current of an op-amp?

The output current of an op-amp is affected by the input voltage, voltage gain, and the load resistance connected to the output. Additionally, the power supply voltage and temperature can also impact the output current.

5. How can the output current of an op-amp be controlled?

The output current of an op-amp can be controlled by adjusting the input voltage or the voltage gain. The load resistance can also be changed to affect the output current. Additionally, negative feedback can be used to stabilize and control the output current of an op-amp.