Finding the period of rotation of this system....

In summary: I'm so sorry!In summary, the period of rotation for the three stars is different due to the different masses.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

Three identical stars, each with mass m, form the verticies of an equilateral triangle with side length d and rotate in a circular orbit due to their mutual gravitation. What is the period τ of their rotation?

I set up the FBD for each star and am now trying to figure out what to do from there. I know how to get period into the equation from circular motion, but is that all there is to it? The FBD gives different equations for each mass so when I solve I get different periods for each star. What should I be doing here?

Force equations

Star at bottom left point:

x: Fcosθ+F = max
y: Fsinθ = may

Star at bottom right:

x: -(Fcosθ+F) = max
y: Fsinθ = may

Star at top:

y: -2F = may (or should this be -2Fcos(θ/2)?)
x: forces cancel to 0

If you draw an equilateral triangle you will see what I'm talking about and then how I oriented my axes around the stars.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I solve for period my units are seconds - so I know my method is correct. Anyway I would solve each of the force equations above for period and compare because they should be the same (or at least what I have been thinking) and they are off by a factor due to the cosθ or sinθ

Instead of working with x and y components of force, think about centripetal components of forces. Use what you know about circular motion.

Likes Vitani11
I should neglect the force that each is exerting on each other in x or y and only focus on the forces going towards the center of the system (triangle)? I thought about that but I was afraid to try it.

Okay I think this might be right. Using the centripetal components I was able to solve for period using the star at the top which my answer was T = (2πd3/2)/(√(Gm))(31/4). Units check out.

(2Gm2cos(θ/2))/d2 = mv2/d this was my equation from F = ma.

Is the orbital radius equal to d?

Likes Vitani11
Vitani11 said:
Okay I think this might be right. Using the centripetal components I was able to solve for period using the star at the top which my answer was T = (2πd3/2)/(√(Gm))(31/4). Units check out.

(2Gm2cos(θ/2))/d2 = mv2/d this was my equation from F = ma.
I get a different constant factor. Please post all your working.

Likes Vitani11
dsinθ-dsinθ/2 is the distance? Here is the work. Sorry for the blur.

Attachments

• IMG_20170112_165357.jpg
    IMG_20170112_165357.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 377
OH MY GOD I DID IT THANK YOU haruspex as usual and Tsny . No dsinθ -dsinθ/2 was definitely not it

What is the period of rotation?

The period of rotation is the time it takes for an object to complete one full rotation on its axis.

How is the period of rotation measured?

The period of rotation is typically measured in units of time, such as seconds, minutes, or hours.

What factors can affect the period of rotation?

The period of rotation can be affected by the mass, shape, and distance from other objects in the system.

Can the period of rotation change over time?

Yes, the period of rotation can change due to external forces, such as gravity or collisions with other objects.

Why is finding the period of rotation important?

Finding the period of rotation can help us understand the motion and behavior of objects in a system, and can also provide valuable information for predicting future movements and events.