Finding the Position of a Spaceship with Given Acceleration and Velocity Vectors

In summary, the position of the spaceship at t=pi is <e^(pi)-1 , (1/6)pi^3 , (pi/2)> with an acceleration of <e^(t) , t , sin(2t)>.
Timebomb3750
Finding a position vector...

Homework Statement

A spaceship is traveling with acceleration a(t)=<e^(t) , t , sin2t>. At t=0, the spaceship was a origin r(0)=<0,0,0> and had an initial velocity of v(0)=<1,0,0> Find the position of the ship at t=pi

Homework Equations

uhhh...

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I'd work backwards with the acceleration vector given to find the velocity and position vectors, then put the t=pi into the position vector I find.

So, v(t)=<e^(t) , (1/2)t^(2) , -(1/2)cos(2t)>
Then r(t)=<e^(t), (1/6)t^(3) , -(1/4)sin(2t)>

But this doesn't seem right to me because when I put in the given t=0 into my v(t), I get <1,0,-(1/2)> not the <1,0,0> like the problem says. I'm approaching this problem wrong, aren't I?

Physics news on Phys.org

No, you are doing fairly well. What would happen if you added a constant to the velocity?

Okay, I have it figured out.

v(t)=<e^(t) , (1/2)t^2 , (-1/2)cos(2t)+(1/2)> So that V(0)=<1,0,0>

Then, I find r(t) which is equal to <e^(t)-1 , (1/6)t^3 , (-1/4)sin(2t)+(1/2)t> So that r(0)=<0,0,0>

Then I plug in pi into my r(t) which comes out to be r(pi)=<e^(pi)-1 , (1/6)pi^3 , (pi/2)> Please tell me this is right. :)

What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of a point in space, typically described by its distance and direction from a fixed reference point. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the position of objects in a coordinate system.

How do you find a position vector?

To find a position vector, you need to know the coordinates of the reference point and the point you are trying to locate. Then, you can subtract the coordinates of the reference point from the coordinates of the desired point to obtain the position vector.

What is the difference between a position vector and a displacement vector?

A position vector describes the location of a point in space relative to a fixed reference point, while a displacement vector describes the change in position of an object from its initial to final position. In other words, a displacement vector is a change in position, while a position vector is a specific point in space.

How do you represent a position vector graphically?

A position vector is typically represented graphically as an arrow pointing from the reference point to the desired point, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

What are some real-world applications of position vectors?

Position vectors are widely used in physics and engineering to describe the position of objects in space, such as the position of a satellite in orbit or the location of a moving car on a map. They are also used in computer graphics to render objects in three-dimensional space.