Finding the potential across capacitors in capacitor-only circuits

In summary, to calculate the potential across a capacitor in a capacitor-only circuit, you can use the formula V = Q/C, where V is the potential (in volts), Q is the charge on the capacitor (in coulombs), and C is the capacitance (in farads). This formula can also be used to find the potential across multiple capacitors in a circuit, but the charges and capacitances must be added together. The potential across a capacitor is directly proportional to the charge and capacitance, meaning that it increases as these values increase. The potential can never be negative, but it can be zero if the capacitor is fully discharged. Other factors that can affect the potential include the material and shape of the capacitor, the die
Gourab_chill
Homework Statement
I have been asked to find the potential difference between points M and N in the given figure. The circuit is in the attachment.
Relevant Equations
Q=CV
I tried to attempt it by applying KVL to both the loops.
soln.PNG

I tried to find a possible charge distribution for the capacitors. I guess this is right.
soln1.PNG

On solving I get:
attempt.png

from what I know potential difference between M and N is Q1/C2
but the solution is given as:
soln2.PNG

Where am I wrong?

Attachments

• ques.PNG
    ques.PNG
    1.6 KB · Views: 144
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You have a sign error in one of your first two equations.

Likes Gourab_chill
TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

You have a sign error in one of your first two equations.
thanks

1. What is a capacitor-only circuit?

A capacitor-only circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains only capacitors and no other components such as resistors or inductors. These circuits are used to store and release electrical energy.

2. How do you find the potential across capacitors in a capacitor-only circuit?

To find the potential across capacitors in a capacitor-only circuit, you can use the equation V = Q/C, where V is the potential difference, Q is the charge on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance. You can also use Kirchhoff's voltage law to determine the potential difference in a series circuit.

3. What factors affect the potential across capacitors in a capacitor-only circuit?

The potential across capacitors in a capacitor-only circuit is affected by the capacitance of the capacitors, the amount of charge stored on the capacitors, and the arrangement of the capacitors in the circuit (e.g. series or parallel).

4. How does the potential across capacitors change over time in a capacitor-only circuit?

In a capacitor-only circuit, the potential across the capacitors will change over time as the capacitors charge and discharge. Initially, the potential will increase as the capacitors charge, and then decrease as the capacitors discharge.

5. Can the potential across capacitors in a capacitor-only circuit ever be greater than the applied voltage?

No, the potential across capacitors in a capacitor-only circuit cannot be greater than the applied voltage. This is due to the fact that capacitors can only store a certain amount of charge, and the potential difference is directly proportional to the amount of charge stored on the capacitor.