Finding the potential between two coaxial cylinders

In summary: So what you're saying is that the first term is the potential of the displaced inner cylinder, but the second term... not sure.Here's the actual answer, this might help you. But that ln(b) term still doesn't make sense to me. So what you're saying is that the first term is the potential of the displaced inner cylinder, but the second term... not sure.In summary, the potential between a variable capacitor made up of two coaxial cylinders of radii a and b, with (b-a) << a, when the inner cylinder is displaced by a distance y along the axis, is given by (λ*L/2piε0y) * ln(b) + (λ*L/2piε0(L
Jaco Leo

Homework Statement

Trying to find the potential between a variable capacitor that is made up of two coaxial cylinders of radii a and b, with (b-a) << a, when inner cylinder displaced by a distance y along axis.

2. Homework Equations

E = λ / 2piε0r
V = λ/2piε0 * ln(b/a) when there is no displacement

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I already calculated the potential when there is no displacement by ∫E dr with respect to a and b. But Honestly I don't even know where to start for finding the potential when the inner cylinder is displaced a distance y along the axis. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to tell us what ##\lambda## is. But I strongly suspect that there's the key to your answer. From the ##(b-a)<<a## you may assume there only is a field (and therefore a nearby charge :rolleyes:) between the cylinders in the area where they are close to each other.

BvU said:
You forgot to tell us what ##\lambda## is. But I strongly suspect that there's the key to your answer. From the ##(b-a)<<a## you may assume there only is a field (and therefore a nearby charge :rolleyes:) between the cylinders in the area where they are close to each other.

λ is the line charge, and I actually already know the answer to this question, it's (λ*L/2piε0y) * ln(b) + (λ*L/2piε0(L-y)) * ln(b/a)), where L is the length of the cylinder and y is the displacement of the inner cylinder along the axis. I'm just not sure how they got to this answer. I'm not sure if you have to integrate the E-field again to arrive at this or if you can just do it intuitively, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Charges are expressed in Coulombs. My guess is that ##\lambda## is the linear charge density, expressed in Coulombs per meter. That way your answer comes out in V instead of in meter x V.

You say you did part a) already. When you compare that with the given answer to part b, do you recognize anything ?

BvU said:
Charges are expressed in Coulombs. My guess is that ##\lambda## is the linear charge density, expressed in Coulombs per meter. That way your answer comes out in V instead of in meter x V.

You say you did part a) already. When you compare that with the given answer to part b, do you recognize anything ?

So it looks like to find the voltage when the inner cylinder moves a distance y, it takes into account two different electric fields to be integrated? because you've got two terms in the answer. Also there's a y in the denominator in the first term and a (L-y) in the denominator in the 2nd term. These must mean the displacement in someway but I honestly can't wrap my head around it atm. Can you explain to me how you arrive at finding the voltage once the inner cylinder moves a distance y along the axis?

If the inner cylinder is displaced over a distance of y, the charge is inclined to stick to the area that is opposite the outer cylinder (where there is an opposite charge tugging at it). The total charge stays the same, so the charge density ( did I guess right in post # 4? :rolleyes: ) goes from ##\lambda## to ##\lambda {L\over L-y} ##. Now do you recognize one of the terms ?

Jaco Leo said:
λ is the line charge, and I actually already know the answer to this question, it's (λ*L/2piε0y) * ln(b) + (λ*L/2piε0(L-y)) * ln(b/a)), where L is the length of the cylinder and y is the displacement of the inner cylinder along the axis.
That expression doesn't look right to me because of the ln(b) term. The argument of the logarithm should be able to be written in a unitless form, but I don't see how you can do that with the expression you wrote.

Likes BvU
BvU said:
If the inner cylinder is displaced over a distance of y, the charge is inclined to stick to the area that is opposite the outer cylinder (where there is an opposite charge tugging at it). The total charge stays the same, so the charge density ( did I guess right in post # 4? :rolleyes: ) goes from ##\lambda## to ##\lambda {L\over L-y} ##. Now do you recognize one of the terms ?

Ok yeah that makes sense, so the (λ*L/2piε0(L-y)) * ln(b/a)) term is describing the displacement of the inner cylinders potential. But I'm still very confused about the second term (λ*L/2piε0y) * ln(b). Is this describing the potential left within the system? Honestly can't figure that out, and like Vela said, the ln(b) term is really throwing me off.

Same here. At first I thought it had something to do with a change in the potential at b, but the more I look at it, the more I think that term shouldn't be there at all ...

BvU said:
Same here. At first I thought it had something to do with a change in the potential at b, but the more I look at it, the more I think that term shouldn't be there at all ...

Here's the actual answer, this might help you. But that ln(b) term still doesn't make sense to me.

media%2Fe87%2Fe8780481-d352-4e90-970d-30e4062a962f%2FphpPa8bDu.png

1. What is the purpose of finding the potential between two coaxial cylinders?

The purpose of finding the potential between two coaxial cylinders is to calculate the electric potential difference or voltage that exists between the two cylinders. This information is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of the electric field between the cylinders.

2. How is the potential between two coaxial cylinders calculated?

To calculate the potential between two coaxial cylinders, you can use the formula V = (k * Q) / (L * ln (b/a)), where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the inner cylinder, L is the length of the cylinders, and a and b are the radii of the inner and outer cylinders, respectively.

3. What factors affect the potential between two coaxial cylinders?

The potential between two coaxial cylinders is affected by several factors, including the charges and radii of the cylinders, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the material between the cylinders. Changes in any of these factors can result in a different potential between the cylinders.

4. How does the potential between two coaxial cylinders differ from the potential between two parallel plates?

The potential between two coaxial cylinders is different from the potential between two parallel plates in several ways. Firstly, the electric field between the cylinders is radial, while the electric field between the parallel plates is uniform. Additionally, the formula for calculating the potential between the cylinders is different from the formula for calculating the potential between the parallel plates.

5. What are the practical applications of finding the potential between two coaxial cylinders?

The potential between two coaxial cylinders has several practical applications, such as in the design and operation of electrical equipment, like capacitors and transformers. It is also used in the study of electrostatics and in understanding the behavior of conductors and insulators. Additionally, the potential between coaxial cylinders can be used to calculate the capacitance of a system of two coaxial cylinders.