Finding the power series expansion of this ln

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the series expansion of ln(x + sqrt(1+x2)). The solution involves using the definition of Maclaurin series and a clever substitution trick to simplify the problem. The conversation also mentions the use of math tools for self-study in electrical engineering.
tamtam402

Homework Statement

Find the series expansion of ln(x + sqrt(1+x2))

Homework Equations

ln(1+x) = x - x2 /2 + x3/3 - x4/4 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve this. If it was ln(1+f(x) ) I know I could substitute the x's for f(x) in the ln(1+x) series expansion, but I don't know what to do since the ln isn't in the correct form. Am I supposed to rederive the series from scratch?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I solved the whole problem by using the definition of Maclaurin series to find the expansion "from scratch". I used Wolfram Alpha to solve the multiple derivatives necessary, but I'm not satisfied with my answer. I feel like there was a way to solve this by using some kind of substitution, since I managed to solve all the other problems in Mary L Boas book without having to rederive the whole series.

I'm trying to learn the math tools necessary to self-study undergraduate E&M. I'm an electrical engineering student that would like to know the fundations of my engineering branch :D I feel bad for "cheating" on this problem.

Hint:

[tex]ln(x+\sqrt{1+x^2})=ln(x)+ln(1+\frac{\sqrt{1+x^2}}{x})[/tex]

micromass said:
Hint:

[tex]ln(x+\sqrt{1+x^2})=ln(x)+ln(1+\frac{\sqrt{1+x^2}}{x})[/tex]

Wow, I wouldn't have found that by myself. That's a very clever trick, thank you!

Related to Finding the power series expansion of this ln

1. How do I find the power series expansion of ln(x)?

To find the power series expansion of ln(x), you can use the Taylor series expansion formula, which is: ln(x) = (x-a) - (x-a)^2/2a + (x-a)^3/3a^2 - (x-a)^4/4a^3 + ...

2. What is the center of the power series expansion of ln(x)?

The center of the power series expansion of ln(x) is the value of 'a' in the Taylor series formula. In this case, the center is equal to 1.

3. How many terms should I use in the power series expansion of ln(x) to get an accurate approximation?

The number of terms you should use depends on the desired level of accuracy. Generally, the more terms you use, the more accurate the approximation will be.

4. Can I use the power series expansion of ln(x) for any value of x?

Yes, the power series expansion of ln(x) can be used for any value of x as long as it is within the interval of convergence, which is [0,2].

5. How can I use the power series expansion of ln(x) to approximate the value of ln(3)?

To approximate the value of ln(3), you can simply plug in x=3 into the power series expansion formula and add up the desired number of terms. The more terms you use, the more accurate the approximation will be.