Finding the Radius of Convergence for Y=6x+16 - Troubleshooting and Solution

In summary, the conversation is about finding the radius of convergence for the function Y=6x+16 and discussing the notation for logarithms. The solution provided by the book is not the same as the one calculated by the speaker, and they are unsure about the notation for logarithms and the rule for defining t in a t^n series for convergence. They also mention confusion about finding the domain of convergence for x.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
Loook at the image
Relevant Equations
Power series.
Raduis of convergence.
Greetings
I have some problems finding the correct result
1629716024934.png

My solution:
I puted Y=6x+16
so now will try to find the raduis of convergence of Y
so let's calculate the raduis criteria of convergence:
1629716182475.png

1629716392658.png

• We know that Y=6x+16
  • Conseqyently -21/6<=x<=-11/6 so the raduis must be 5/3. But this is not the solution!
Here is the solution of the book
1629716620401.png

1629716656750.png

I would like to know where is my mistake
thank you!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure about your notation [tex]\log^{2021}x[/tex]. Is it
[tex]\log_{2021}x[/tex] or
[tex](\log x)^{2021}[/tex]?

Likes Amaelle
5 for 6x+16 and 5/2 for 3x+8 seem not different. What is the rule to define t for t^n series for convergence ?

Likes Delta2 and Amaelle
anuttarasammyak said:
I am not sure about your notation [tex]\log^{2021}x[/tex]. Is it
[tex]\log_{2021}x[/tex] or

anuttarasammyak said:
5 for 6x+16 and 5/2 for 3x+8 seem not different. What is the rule to define t for t^n series for convergence ?

I realize that I have the same confusion, I thought we were looking for the domain where x is convergent?
I understand I got the same results implicitely but did the book go for that particular set up?
thanks a million!

1. What is the definition of radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept used to determine the range of values for which a power series will converge. It is the distance from the center of the power series to the nearest point where the series diverges.

2. How do I find the radius of convergence for a given power series?

To find the radius of convergence for a power series, you can use the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or root of the terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series will converge, and the radius of convergence can be determined by taking the reciprocal of the limit.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the range of values for which the power series will converge. This allows us to determine the validity of using the power series to approximate a function within a certain interval.

4. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents a distance.

5. How does finding the radius of convergence help in troubleshooting and finding solutions?

Knowing the radius of convergence can help in troubleshooting and finding solutions because it allows us to determine the range of values for which the power series will converge. This can help in identifying any errors or issues with the series, and also in determining the accuracy of using the series to approximate a function.