Finding the Range for Square Root and Rational Functions | Homework Help

• Thread starter jwxie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the range for f(x) = sqrt of x-1 is y>0, and the range for f(x) = 1/x^2-1 is y>=0. It is recommended to draw a graph and find critical points to determine the exact range and clarify the nature of the function when seeking help.
jwxie

Homework Statement

find range for f(x) = sqrt of x-1

f(x) 1/x^2-1

Homework Equations

no...

The Attempt at a Solution

well, i know this is dumb to ask, but i am very very curious...

let say the first one, sqrt of x-1
if we want to find the range, obviously, you can tell just by looking at the function, since it is sqrt, it has to be y>0

second function, f(x)= 1/x^2-1
so i tried to use use the x-y method, you replace x with y, and y with x

so it becomes x = 1/y^2-1
now it is my range, but if i want to know the notation interval, like ( infinite, 0), then how do i solve for the range and get some actual indications for the range.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first and best bet is to draw a graph of each function. Try doing that. Find critical points, the whole bit. And when you post, try and make the nature of the function clear. 1/x^2-1 could mean either (1/x^2)-1 or 1/(x^2-1). I think you mean the latter. And I think your range for the first one should be y>=0 (i.e. include y=0).

Related to Finding the Range for Square Root and Rational Functions | Homework Help

What is the definition of range?

The range is the difference between the highest and lowest values in a set of data.

Why is it important to find the range?

Finding the range can help determine the spread or variability of the data, and can provide insights into the distribution of the data.

What is the best way to find range for a small data set?

The best way to find range for a small data set is to arrange the data in ascending or descending order and then subtract the lowest value from the highest value.

What is the best way to find range for a large data set?

For a large data set, it is more efficient to use statistical software or a graphing calculator to find the range.

Are there any limitations to using range as a measure of variability?

Yes, range does not take into account all the values in a data set and can be affected by extreme values or outliers. It is recommended to use other measures of variability, such as standard deviation, in conjunction with range to get a more complete understanding of the data.