Finding the range of a rational function

In summary: This last inequality is equivalent to ##\frac{t^2 + 1}{t} \ge 2## or ##\frac{t^2 + 1}{t} \le -2##Since this is what you need to show, you can't assume that it's true. You can use calculus techniques to find the minimum and values of the rational expression.
sooyong94

Homework Statement

A curve is given by the parametric equations
##x=t^2 +3##
##y=t(t^2+3)##
Find dy/dx in terms of t and show that (dy/dx)^2 >=9

Homework Equations

Parametric derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the chain rule, I arrived at ##\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{3}{2}(\frac{t^2+1}{t})##
However, when I squared both sides to get ##(\frac{dy}{dx})^2##, I was unable to prove that (dy/dx)^2>=9. I know I need to find the range, however I'll need to graph the function, which proves to be tedious. Is there any workaround to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try? Isn't it just some simple quadratic algebra?

PeroK said:
What did you try? Isn't it just some simple quadratic algebra?
I was thinking to graph the function, though I'll be dealing with quartic functions.

Some quartics look like quadratics, wouldn't you say?

PeroK said:
Some quartics look like quadratics, wouldn't you say?
Yup, but how do I begin though?

If ##(dy/dx)^2 < 9## what does that give you?

PeroK said:
If ##(dy/dx)^2 < 9## what does that give you?
There are no values of t that satisfies the inequality?

sooyong94 said:
There are no values of t that satisfies the inequality?

Yes, but you've got to be prepared to do the algebra that shows why.

PeroK said:
Yes, but you've got to be prepared to do the algebra that shows why.
So how do I begin?

sooyong94 said:
So how do I begin?
Your problem is equivalent to showing that ##(\frac{t^2 + 1}{t})^2 \ge 4##.
Presumably you are in a calculus class. How do you find the minimum value of a function?

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Your problem is equivalent to showing that ##(\frac{t^2 + 1}{t})^2 \ge 4##.
Presumably you are in a calculus class. How do you find the minimum value of a function?
Derive and set the value of the derivative to 0?

sooyong94 said:
Derive and set the value of the derivative to 0?
Yes, differentiate it and set the derivative to 0. But how will you know whether you have a minimum or maximum?

Now show us something...

Mark44 said:
Yes, differentiate it and set the derivative to 0. But how will you know whether you have a minimum or maximum?

Now show us something...
But first, why did you say ((t^2+1)/t)^2 >4?

Use the first derivative test for critical points?

sooyong94 said:
But first, why did you say ((t^2+1)/t)^2 >4?
I changed what I wrote slightly, to ##(\frac{t^2 + 1}{t})^2 \ge 4##
sooyong94 said:
Use the first derivative test for critical points?
What do you think? Take a stab at it.

Mark44 said:
I changed what I wrote slightly, to ##(\frac{t^2 + 1}{t})^2 \ge 4##

What do you think? Take a stab at it.
But what makes you think why ((t^2 +1)/t))^2 >=4?

The sign of the slopes changes?

sooyong94 said:
But what makes you think why ((t^2 +1)/t))^2 >=4?

The sign of the slopes changes?
In your first post you have
sooyong94 said:
Find dy/dx in terms of t and show that (dy/dx)^2 >=9
Isn't the inequality on the right equivalent to the one I wrote?

Mark44 said:
In your first post you have

Isn't the inequality on the right equivalent to the one I wrote?
Wasn't it should be >=9?

sooyong94 said:
Wasn't it should be >=9?
You tell me.
  1. Start with (dy/dx)^2 >=9.
  2. Simplify.

This is post 18 in the thread. So far I haven't seen any work from you. What's stopping you?

Mark44 said:
You tell me.
  1. Start with (dy/dx)^2 >=9.
  2. Simplify.

This is post 18 in the thread. So far I haven't seen any work from you. What's stopping you?
I have two inequalities, 3/2((t^2 +1)/t) <=-3 or ((t^2 +1)/t) >=2. Then how should I proceed from here?

sooyong94 said:
I have two inequalities, 3/2((t^2 +1)/t) <=-3 or ((t^2 +1)/t) >=2. Then how should I proceed from here?
##(dy/dx)^2 \ge 9##
##\Rightarrow (3/2)^2(\frac{t^2 + 1}{t})^2 \ge 9##
##\Rightarrow (\frac{t^2 + 1}{t})^2 \ge 4##
This last inequality is equivalent to ##\frac{t^2 + 1}{t} \ge 2## or ##\frac{t^2 + 1}{t} \le -2##
Since this is what you need to show, you can't assume that it's true. You can use calculus techniques to find the minimum and values of the rational expression.

Related to Finding the range of a rational function

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical expression that is written as the ratio of two polynomials, where the denominator cannot be equal to zero. It can be written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and x is the independent variable.

2. How do I find the range of a rational function?

To find the range of a rational function, you can first simplify the function by factoring both the numerator and denominator. Then, you can analyze the end behavior of the function to determine the range. If the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, the range will be all real numbers. If the degree of the numerator is equal to the degree of the denominator, the range will be a horizontal asymptote. If the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator, the range will have no real solutions.

3. Can I use a graph to find the range of a rational function?

Yes, you can use a graph to find the range of a rational function. By plotting the graph, you can see the behavior of the function and determine the range by looking at the y-values. However, it is important to note that the graph may not always accurately represent the exact range of the function, so it is best to also use algebraic methods to confirm your findings.

4. What is an excluded value in a rational function?

An excluded value in a rational function is a value of x that makes the denominator equal to zero. Since division by zero is undefined, these values must be excluded from the domain of the function. The excluded values will also affect the range of the function, as they will create holes or asymptotes in the graph.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the range of a rational function?

Yes, there are a few special cases when finding the range of a rational function. One case is when the function has a horizontal asymptote. In this case, the range will either be all real numbers or a specific range depending on the degree of the numerator and denominator. Another case is when the function has a vertical asymptote. In this case, the range will be all real numbers except for the values that make the denominator equal to zero. Finally, if the function has a hole in the graph, the range will be all real numbers except for the y-value of the hole.