Finding the Range of f(x) on [0,1]: A Challenging Calculus Problem

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in calculus where a function f is twice differentiable, f(0)=f(1)=0, and satisfies a given inequality. The question is to find the range of f(x) for x in the interval [0,1]. Different approaches are suggested, including using Rolle's Theorem and solving the differential inequality. One expert suggests using the function g(x)=f(x)e^-x and finding a local min in the interval, leading to the conclusion that the range of f is <= 0 and can be arbitrarily large and negative.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let f:[0,1]→R be a function. Suppose the function f is twice differentiable, f(0)=f(1)=0 and satisfies [itex]f"(x)-2f'(x)+f(x)≥e^x[/itex], x:[0,1]. Then find range of f(x).

The Attempt at a Solution

Strictly speaking, this has been one of the toughest problems I've ever encountered throughout my course in Calculus. So, obviously I don't have an idea where to start with. But atleast, from the given information, I can say that f'(x) must be zero somewhere in [0,1] according to Rolle's Theorem. Since the inequation also involves a second order derivative, finding a solution of this differential inequation (never heard of diff. inequation btw) is beyond my reach. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Let f:[0,1]→R be a function. Suppose the function f is twice differentiable, f(0)=f(1)=0 and satisfies [itex]f"(x)-2f'(x)+f(x)≥e^x[/itex], x:[0,1]. Then find range of f(x).

The Attempt at a Solution

Strictly speaking, this has been one of the toughest problems I've ever encountered throughout my course in Calculus. So, obviously I don't have an idea where to start with. But atleast, from the given information, I can say that f'(x) must be zero somewhere in [0,1] according to Rolle's Theorem. Since the inequation also involves a second order derivative, finding a solution of this differential inequation (never heard of diff. inequation btw) is beyond my reach. :cry:

If you turn your inequality into an equation, can you solve that?

I did that, and got a solution that consists of a quadratic times e2; i.e., y(x) = (Ax2 + Bx + C)ex. The quadratic is a parabola that opens up and has x-intercepts at 0 and 1. My thinking is that if f(x) is any twice-differentiable function that is at least as large as y(x), and intersects the x-axis at 0 and 1, then that will be a solution of your differential inequality.

I'm not 100% confident in my reasoning here - I haven't ever seen differential inequalities, either. If the direction I took makes sense, you could at least put a lower bound on the range.

I'm not sure what the question is asking. Clearly f is not fully defined, so different functions satisfying the condition might have different ranges. Is it the union of the ranges that's required? The set of ranges?

Well, the range is just R. No? Unless you are talking about the image of f. By the way, I do not believe that f is uniquely defined, as haruspex pointed out.

Hint: Let ##g(x) = f(x)e^{-x}##

crownedbishop said:
Well, the range is just R. No?
Why? I think it unlikely that arbitrarily negative values can be reached.
If you take the inequality as exact, as Mark44 did, and plug in the known facts, you'll find 2a >= 1, b = -a and c = 0. You can then find a local min in the interval as a function of a.

Let ##g(x) = f(x)e^{-x}##

g satisfies g(0) = g(1) = 0 and g''(x) ≥ 1

Let ##g_n(x) = nx(x-1)##

So: ##f_n(x) = nx(x-1)e^x##

So, the range of f is <= 0 and can be arbitrarily large and -ve.

haruspex said:
I'm not sure what the question is asking. Clearly f is not fully defined, so different functions satisfying the condition might have different ranges. Is it the union of the ranges that's required? The set of ranges?

Ah, thanks for pointing out. The question actually gives me 4 options and asks me to select a correct one. Here are those 4 options:-

Q. Which of the following is true for 0<x<1?
A) 0<f(x)<∞
B)-1/2 < f(x)< 1/2
C)-1/4<f(x)<1
D)-∞<f(x)<0

Did anyone get the answer?

utkarshakash said:
Did anyone get the answer?

PeroK's analysis convinced me.

crownedbishop said:
Well, the range is just R. No? Unless you are talking about the image of f. By the way, I do not believe that f is uniquely defined, as haruspex pointed out.

haruspex said:
Why? I think it unlikely that arbitrarily negative values can be reached.
If you take the inequality as exact, as Mark44 did, and plug in the known facts, you'll find 2a >= 1, b = -a and c = 0. You can then find a local min in the interval as a function of a.
You two are using different definitions of "range". crownedbishop is saying that if f is "from A to B" then its range is "B", even if f(A), the "image" of f (or, better, the "image of A under f")is a proper subset of B.

HallsofIvy said:
crownedbishop is saying that if f is "from A to B" then its range is "B", even if f(A), the "image" of f (or, better, the "image of A under f")is a proper subset of B.
True, range can mean either codomain or image of domain. But it seems clear that image of domain is what's wanted here.

PeroK said:
Let ##g(x) = f(x)e^{-x}##

g satisfies g(0) = g(1) = 0 and g''(x) ≥ 1

Let ##g_n(x) = nx(x-1)##

So: ##f_n(x) = nx(x-1)e^x##

So, the range of f is <= 0 and can be arbitrarily large and -ve.

Your approach is a perfect one. May I know how did it occur to you to assume another function g(x)=f(x)e^-x? Were you led by your intuition or just a lucky guess? How exactly did you figure it out? Were you able to realize it quickly or did it took a while?

utkarshakash said:
Your approach is a perfect one. May I know how did it occur to you to assume another function g(x)=f(x)e^-x? Were you led by your intuition or just a lucky guess? How exactly did you figure it out? Were you able to realize it quickly or did it took a while?

I just saw the pattern of f'' - 2f' + f and thought I might be able to find a function whose second derivative that was. I used what's called an "integrating factor", a technique used in solving of differential equations:

Since you ask, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the question.

Related to Finding the Range of f(x) on [0,1]: A Challenging Calculus Problem

1. How do you find the range of a function?

To find the range of a function, you must first graph the function to visually see the output values. Then, determine the highest and lowest points on the graph. The range is the set of all possible output values between the highest and lowest points.

2. Can you find the range of a function algebraically?

Yes, you can find the range of a function algebraically by solving for the output variable in the function. Once you have the output variable isolated, you can determine the possible values that it can take on.

3. What does the range represent in a function?

The range represents the set of all possible output values of a function. It is the collection of values that the function can produce based on the input values.

4. Can the range of a function be infinite?

Yes, the range of a function can be infinite if the function has no boundaries or constraints. This means that the function can produce any output value for a given input.

5. How does the domain of a function affect the range?

The domain of a function affects the range by limiting the possible input values, which in turn limits the possible output values. If the domain is restricted, the range will also be restricted to a smaller set of values.