Finding the Ratio and Height of a Double Ball Drop Collision

In summary: And in your second equation, is the left-hand side supposed to be a v^2 or a V^2?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two balls of different masses being dropped from a height and colliding with each other. The question is to determine the ratio between the masses that results in one ball stopping after colliding with the other, as well as the height reached by the other ball. The attempt at a solution involves using conservation of momentum and energy, but there may be a mistake in the equations used. The given information that one ball stops after colliding with the other may not have been taken into account.
Puddles

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m1 is aligned above a ball of mass M2 (with slight separation), and the two are dropped simultaneously from height h. (Assume the radius of each ball is negligible compared to h.) (a) If M2 rebounds elastically from the floor and then m1 rebounds from M2, what ratio m1/M2 results in M2 stopping upon its collision with m1? (b) What height h does m1 reach?

Homework Equations

KE = .5mv^2
P = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I drew a diagram and used cons. of momentum and energy to find VM for both and set them equal to each other, but there's something wrong in my math because I know my ratio should be 3:1 and I'm not getting that. Here's what I did as best as I can type out on a computer:

Cons. Momentum)
Pi=Pf

(m1-M2) sqrt(ugh)=m1v+M2V, with (m1-M2) because M2 has a negative momentum after it strikes the ground

((m1-M2) sqrt(2gh) - m1v)/M2 = V

Cons. Energy)
1/2(m1+M2)(sqrt(2gh))^2 = 1/2(m1v^2) + 1/2(M2V^2)

sqrt( (2gh(m1+M2)-mv^2)/M2) = V

I think it's a math issue since when I'm setting them equal to each other my work is only getting more complex…

I don't know what I'm doing wrong because I thought my equations were okay, so if someone could explain how you get through this I would be very thankful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pud,

I have difficulty understanding why you set the equations equal to each other. Where do you use the given that M2 stops after colliding with m1 ?

As BvU writes, you have not used that M2 stops. But I wonder about the signs in your first equation. Which direction are you taking as positive?

What is the concept of "Double Ball Drop Ratio"?

"Double Ball Drop Ratio" refers to the ratio between the height at which an object is dropped and the height at which it bounces back up. It is used to measure the elasticity or bounciness of an object.

How is "Double Ball Drop Ratio" calculated?

The "Double Ball Drop Ratio" is calculated by dividing the height at which an object bounces back up by the height at which it was dropped. The result is typically expressed as a decimal or percentage.

What does a high "Double Ball Drop Ratio" indicate?

A high "Double Ball Drop Ratio" indicates that the object is highly elastic and bounces back to a significant height. This is often seen in rubber balls or other elastic materials.

What does a low "Double Ball Drop Ratio" indicate?

A low "Double Ball Drop Ratio" indicates that the object is less elastic and does not bounce back to a significant height. This is often seen in objects made of harder materials, such as metal.

How is "Double Ball Drop Ratio" used in scientific research?

"Double Ball Drop Ratio" is commonly used in physics experiments to study the properties of different materials and their elasticity. It can also be used to measure the effectiveness of safety equipment, such as helmets, in absorbing impact and reducing the risk of injury.