Finding the resistance of this shunt resistor

In summary: The new current will flow through the battery as long as the battery voltage is greater than the shunt resistor voltage.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Work out the resistance of shunt placed in parallel to ammeter
Relevant Equations
emf, E = I(R+r)
How would I go about this question?

Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 19.30.02.png

Here is my attempt at it but I haven't really gone anywhere with this :oldconfused:

IMG_3805.JPG

Any help would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bolter said:
Homework Statement:: Work out the resistance of shunt placed in parallel to ammeter
Relevant Equations:: emf, E = I(R+r)

How would I go about this question?

View attachment 256732
Here is my attempt at it but I haven't really gone anywhere with this :oldconfused:

View attachment 256733

Any help would be really appreciated!
From where you got to, you can just multiply out and collect the Rs terms together.
However, the answer it gives is clearly wrong. It is because you took the 0.3A as being the current through the main circuit. Reread the question.

Firstly, I don't like your use of R and E without saying what they are. Is E the same as V, the battery voltage?
Both for your sake and ours, be clear what letters/symbols refer to.

1 is fine, at least, if it's to find the battery voltage.

2. What are you doing now? I guess R is the equivalent resistance of the meter with the shunt in place.

But, as Haruspex says, you don't know the current now. You know the current through the meter decreases from 0.4 A to 0.3 A, but some current now flows through the shunt - and you don't know how much.

What you need is a bit more info:
If the current through the meter has reduced and the meter internal resistance is the same, what else must have changed?

haruspex said:
From where you got to, you can just multiply out and collect the Rs terms together.
However, the answer it gives is clearly wrong. It is because you took the 0.3A as being the current through the main circuit. Reread the question.

So does the total current still remain as 0.4 A?

And then when total current reaches the 2 branches in parallel with each other, current gets split.
Where 0.3 A flows through the ammeter and 0.1 A flows through the shunt resistor.

I know that voltage is the same across each branch in a parallel combination. So the ammeter has resistance 4 ohms and current 3 A, therefore V = IR = 0.3 * 4 = 1.2 V

Hence Rs * 0.1 = 1.2 V so Rs = 12 ohms (Rs = resistance of shunt resistor)

Merlin3189 said:
Firstly, I don't like your use of R and E without saying what they are. Is E the same as V, the battery voltage?
Both for your sake and ours, be clear what letters/symbols refer to.

1 is fine, at least, if it's to find the battery voltage.

2. What are you doing now? I guess R is the equivalent resistance of the meter with the shunt in place.

But, as Haruspex says, you don't know the current now. You know the current through the meter decreases from 0.4 A to 0.3 A, but some current now flows through the shunt - and you don't know how much.

What you need is a bit more info:
If the current through the meter has reduced and the meter internal resistance is the same, what else must have changed?

The voltage drop across the ammeter?

Right. Sorry I didn't see your previous post.

If the voltage across the ammeter has dropped, then the current won't still be 0.4 A

Merlin3189 said:
Right. Sorry I didn't see your previous post.

If the voltage across the ammeter has dropped, then the current won't still be 0.4 A

Is it safe to say that 0.1 A will flow across the shunt and 0.3 A across the ammeter?

No.
If the voltage across the ammeter and shunt has dropped, then if 0.4 A still flowed, there would not be enough voltage drop across the battery internal resistance.

Work out what the voltage was originally across the meter, then what will the new voltage across the meter be?

Merlin3189 said:
Work out what the voltage was originally across the meter, then what will the new voltage across the meter be?

Voltage originally across the meter is 1.6 V as the emf was 2V, lost volts came out to be 0.4 V therefore the terminal pd across the meter has to be 1.6 V

New voltage across the meter can be found by simply using ohm's law, so V = IR = 0.3 * 4 = 1.2 V

Now you can get the new current through the battery

Merlin3189 said:
Now you can get the new current through the battery

Wait so if I know that battery emf is 2V and that 1.2V is across the shunt and ammeter? Then lost volts through the internal resistance of the batter is 0.8V

I = v/r = 0.8/1 = 0.8 A so new current has increased?

Yes. Because you have reduced the overall resistance of the circuit.

Merlin3189 said:
Yes. Because you have reduced the overall resistance of the circuit.

I see, but how does this new battery current help us find the shunt resistance?

So now I'm I correct to say that if the main current happens to be 0.8 A, then 0.3 A passes the meter and 0.5 A passes the shunt, where the 2 individual currents across each branch must sum to the total current 0.8 A

So using ohm's law again. 1.2V = 0.5A * Rs

Giving Rs = 2.4 ohms?

That's what I got.

You actually beat me, because I did a bit more work to get the 1.2 V, instead of just Ohm's law.

It is a slightly unusual question, because you usually want to calculate what shunt you need to make the ammeter read 0.4 when the current is say 2 A or something like that.

Likes Bolter
Merlin3189 said:
You actually beat me, because I did a bit more work to get the 1.2 V, instead of just Ohm's law.

It is a slightly unusual question, because you usually want to calculate what shunt you need to make the ammeter read 0.4 when the current is say 2 A or something like that.

Yes I remember I have answered questions like these before in the past so this one threw me off quite a bit instead

But thank you so much for your help :)

1. What is a shunt resistor?

A shunt resistor is a type of electrical resistor that is used to measure the current flowing through a circuit. It is typically connected in parallel with the load or component being measured.

2. How does a shunt resistor work?

A shunt resistor works by providing a low resistance path for the current to flow through. This allows a small portion of the total current to bypass the load and flow through the shunt resistor, creating a voltage drop that can be measured to determine the current.

3. Why is it important to find the resistance of a shunt resistor?

Finding the resistance of a shunt resistor is important because it is necessary for accurately measuring the current in a circuit. The resistance value is used in conjunction with the measured voltage drop to calculate the current using Ohm's Law (I = V/R).

4. How do you find the resistance of a shunt resistor?

The resistance of a shunt resistor can be found by measuring the voltage drop across the resistor and the current flowing through it. Then, using Ohm's Law (R = V/I), the resistance can be calculated. Alternatively, the resistance value may be provided by the manufacturer or can be measured using a multimeter.

5. What factors can affect the resistance of a shunt resistor?

The resistance of a shunt resistor can be affected by factors such as temperature, material composition, and manufacturing tolerances. High temperatures can cause the resistance to increase, while changes in material or construction can alter the resistance value. It is important to consider these factors when selecting a shunt resistor for a specific application.