Finding the Speed of a Wedge and Rod System

In summary: CM of the rod since the CM is not perpendicular to the face of the wedge. If I consider the upper end of the rod and the Center then the only useful information we have is the component of velocity of upper end perpendicular to the face of the wedge .The velocities of wedge and rod perpendicular to the contact surface should be same.So Vcos60=vcos30.
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

A thin rod of mass m = 1 kg and length l=1m is placed along the hypotenuse side of a wedge lying on a frictionless floor having mass M =5kg and angle 60° . At t= 0 the system is released from rest. Both the objects are free to move .Find the speed of the wedge when the rod makes an angle 30° with the floor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let V be the speed of the wedge and v be the speed of the CM of the rod .

Applying conservation of momentum MV = mvx

Applying energy conservation (mgl/2)(sin60° – sin30°) = (1/2)MV2+ (1/2)mv2+ (1/2)Iω2

Not sure how to proceed. I guess we need to find some constraint relation .

I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem.

Attachments

• rod.PNG
    rod.PNG
    1.3 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
Tanya Sharma said:
I guess we need to find some constraint relation .

Right.

Hint: The upper end of the rod remains in contact with the surface of the wedge. That should give you a relation between a certain component of the velocity of the wedge and the same component of the velocity of the upper end of the rod.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the response ,TSny .

Component of velocity of the upper end of the rod perpendicular to the hypotenuse face = Vcos30° .

But how do I find the component parallel to the face ? How does that help us in determining the velocity of the CM of the rod ? I guess I need to find the x-component of velocity of CM of the rod .

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
Component of velocity of the upper end of the rod perpendicular to the hypotenuse face = Vcos30° .

Good.

But how do I find the component parallel to the face ? How does that help us in determining the velocity of the CM of the rod ? I guess I need to find the x-component of velocity of CM of the rod .

I'm not sure you need to find the component parallel to the face. But you do have a second constraint at the lower end of the rod that you can use.

Tanya Sharma said:

Homework Statement

Let V be the speed of the wedge and v be the speed of the CM of the rod .

Applying conservation of momentum MV = mvx...(1)

Applying energy conservation (mgl/2)(sin60° – sin30°) = (1/2)MV2+ (1/2)mv2+ (1/2)Iω2 ...(2)

Sorry for interrupting in between.
I understood the first equation.I have also understood LHS of eq(2) but I am not able to understand why you have used expression [itex]\frac{Iω}{2}[/itex] here.
The rod is not rotating here I think.:confused:

Satvik Pandey said:
The rod is not rotating here I think.

The angle that the rod makes to the horizontal continually decreases until the rod becomes horizontal when it hits the floor. So, at the instant the rod makes a 30o angle, the rod is rotating.

TSny said:
I'm not sure you need to find the component parallel to the face. But you do have a second constraint at the lower end of the rod that you can use.

I have thought about it but not sure how we would use the constraint at the lower end . Does this help us in determining the velocity of the CM or the angular velocity of the rod ?

Last edited:
TSny said:
Right.

Hint: The upper end of the rod remains in contact with the surface of the wedge. That should give you a relation between a certain component of the velocity of the wedge and the same component of the velocity of the upper end of the rod.
The velocities of wedge and rod perpendicular to the to the contact surface should be same.
So Vcos60=vcos30
Is it right?

Tanya Sharma said:
I have thought about it but not sure how we would use the constraint at the lower end . Does this help us in determining the velocity of the CM or the angular velocity of the rod ?

Can you use the constraint at the lower end of the rod to help you express the y-component of the CM in terms of ω? It is helpful to remember the relative velocity formula ##\vec{V}_A = \vec{V}_C + \vec{V}_{A/C}## for any two points A and C of the rod. Think about the points you might choose for A and C.

TSny said:
Can you use the constraint at the lower end of the rod to help you express the y-component of the CM in terms of ω?

Yes.

TSny said:
It is helpful to remember the relative velocity formula ##\vec{V}_A = \vec{V}_C + \vec{V}_{A/C}## for any two points A and C of the rod. Think about the points you might choose for A and C.

If I consider the upper end of the rod and the Center then the only useful information we have is the component of velocity of upper end perpendicular to the face of the wedge .

Also , not sure how the component of velocity of the upper end we have calculated is useful for us ?

Tanya Sharma said:
If I consider the upper end of the rod and the Center then the only useful information we have is the component of velocity of upper end perpendicular to the face of the wedge .

Also , not sure how the component of velocity of the upper end we have calculated is useful for us ?

Combine these. That is, if you let A be the upper end of the rod and C be the CM, what do you get if you combine ##\vec{V}_A = \vec{V}_C + \vec{V}_{A/C}## and the constraint equation for A?

## \vec{V}_A = (\frac{M}{m}V+\frac{l}{2}ωsinθ)\hat{i} ##

Is it correct ?

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
## \vec{V}_A = (\frac{M}{m}V+\frac{l}{2}ωsinθ)\hat{i} ##

Is it correct ?

## \vec{V}_A ## should have both x and y components. Are you taking ##\hat{i}## to point to the right?

We've got a lot of variables. For now, just express the Cartesian components of ## \vec{V}_C## as ##v_x## and ##v_y##. Express the Cartesian components of ##\vec{V}_{A/C}## in terms of ##\omega## and ##\theta##. Then you can express ## \vec{V}_A ## in terms of ##v_x## , ##v_y## , ##\omega## and ##\theta##.

TSny said:
## \vec{V}_A ## should have both x and y components. Are you taking ##\hat{i}## to point to the right?

##\hat{i}## to the right and ##\hat{j}## upwards .

## \vec{V}_C = \frac{M}{m}V\hat{i} + \frac{l}{2}ωcosθ\hat{j}##

## \vec{V}_{A/C} = \frac{l}{2}ωsinθ\hat{i} + \frac{l}{2}ωcosθ\hat{j}##

Tanya Sharma said:
##\hat{i}## to the right and ##\hat{j}## upwards .

## \vec{V}_C = \frac{M}{m}V\hat{i} + \frac{l}{2}ωcosθ\hat{j}##

## \vec{V}_{A/C} = \frac{l}{2}ωsinθ\hat{i} + \frac{l}{2}ωcosθ\hat{j}##

Close. But I think there are several sign errors. Does the CM have an upward y-component of velocity? Reconsider the direction of ##\vec{V}_{A/C}##.

Doesn't the negative value of ω make the y-component of velocity negative ?

OK. I didn't notice that you were taking clockwise as positive rotation.

[But it seems less confusing to me to take CCW as positive rotation for this problem.]

TSny said:
OK. I didn't notice that you were taking clockwise as positive rotation

So, post#14 okay ?

TSny said:
[But it seems less confusing to me to take CCW as positive rotation for this problem.]

But the angle which the rod makes with the horizontal , automatically makes CW positive ?

Last edited:
Yes, post 14 is OK with ω a negative number.

I was considering ω as just the angular velocity of the rod in the CCW direction, rather than defining it as ω = dθ/dt. But, your way is good.

So , ## \vec{V}_A = (\frac{M}{m}V+\frac{l}{2}ωsinθ)\hat{i} + lωcosθ\hat{j} ##

Here y-component is negative .

But how do I determine whether the x-component is positive or negative , because that will determine the angle which the x-component makes with the direction perpendicular to hypotenuse face ?

Edit : I am trying to find the component of these components in the direction perpendicular to the face .

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
So , ## \vec{V}_A = (\frac{M}{m}V+\frac{l}{2}ωsinθ)\hat{i} + lωcosθ\hat{j} ##

Here y-component is negative .

But how do I determine whether the x-component is positive or negative , because that will determine the angle which the components make with the direction perpendicular to hypotenuse face ?

Edit : I am trying to find the component of these components in the direction perpendicular to the face .

You now have ## \vec{V}_A = V_{Ax}\hat{i} + V_{Ay}\hat{j} ## with explicit expressions for ##V_{Ax}## and ##V_{Ay}##.

You need to consider the component of ##\hat{i}## perpendicular to the wedge and likewise for ##\hat{j}##. The coefficients of ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}## will just go along with the ride no matter what their signs.

Last edited:
Do you agree that ##\hat{i}## makes angle 150° with the perpendicular to the wedge (pointing inwards) and ##\hat{j}## makes angle 120° ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Do you agree that ##\hat{i}## makes angle 150° with the perpendicular to the wedge (pointing inwards) and ##\hat{j}## makes angle 120° ?

Yes.

Are you getting $$\sqrt{\frac{15\sqrt{3}-1}{142}}$$

Tanya Sharma said:
Are you getting $$\sqrt{\frac{15\sqrt{3}-1}{142}}$$

Almost. Did you leave out parentheses in the numerator? And I assume you're taking g = 10.

Yes . Assuming g=10 , $$ \sqrt{\frac{15(\sqrt{3}-1)}{142}} $$

Yes. That's what I got, too.

Cheers :smile:

Thank you so much . I could not have solved it without your guidance .

TSny said:
The angle that the rod makes to the horizontal continually decreases until the rod becomes horizontal when it hits the floor. So, at the instant the rod makes a 30o angle, the rod is rotating.
Could you please tell me around which axis is it rotating?
Sorry for interrupting again.

Satvik Pandey said:
Could you please tell me around which axis is it rotating?

The axis of rotation is perpendicular to the page.

If you mean exactly where is the axis located? I think there are several correct ways to look at it.

For example, you could look at it as rotation about the (rod's) center of mass, (although the center of mass moving vertically and horizontally)

Another way is to look at it as rotation about the end of the rod that is touching the floor
(I think this way is more simple, because this way the rotation axis is only moving horizontally, not vertically)

There are other ways too, and if I'm not mistaken, all of them are valid (although some are more simple than others)

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
The axis of rotation is perpendicular to the page.

If you mean exactly where is the axis located? I think there are several correct ways to look at it.

For example, you could look at it as rotation about the (rod's) center of mass, (although the center of mass moving vertically and horizontally)

Another way is to look at it as rotation about the end of the rod that is touching the floor
(I think this way is more simple, because this way the rotation axis is only moving horizontally, not vertically)

There are other ways too, and if I'm not mistaken, all of them are valid (although some are more simple than others)

Thank you Nathanael.
This is the case in which rod is going through translation and rotational motion simultaneously.
Is it so?

Tanya Sharma said:
Thanks for the response ,TSny .

I am unable to understand why velocity of the upper end of the rod perpendicular to the hypotenuse face = Vcos30° .It would be nice if you could help.:redface:
From this figure
P3.png

h[itex]^{2}[/itex]= p[itex]^{2}[/itex]+ b[itex]^{2}[/itex]
differentiating the above equation with respect to time we get
0=2p[itex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]+ 2b [itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex]
0=2pv'+2bv
-[itex]\frac{b}{p}[/itex]v=v'
-cot θv=v'
Component of this velocity perpendicular to h=v'cosθ
=-cotθvcosθ but this is not what you have found.

Satvik Pandey said:
I am unable to understand why velocity of the upper end of the rod perpendicular to the hypotenuse face = Vcos30°.

See the attached figure. The points A and A’ represent the initial and final locations of the upper end of the rod as the wedge moves horizontally to the left by a small distance d. The distance s is the distance that the upper end of the rod moves perpendicularly to the hypotenuse of the wedge. Using trig on triangle abc, what is the relationship between s and d?

Attachments

• Wedge and rod.png
    Wedge and rod.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 379
TSny said:
See the attached figure. The points A and A’ represent the initial and final locations of the upper end of the rod as the wedge moves horizontally to the left by a small distance d. The distance s is the distance that the upper end of the rod moves perpendicularly to the hypotenuse of the wedge. Using trig on triangle abc, what is the relationship between s and d?

Is it [itex]\frac{s}{d}[/itex]=cos(30)

Satvik Pandey said:
Is it [itex]\frac{s}{d}[/itex]=cos(30)

Yes. From that you should be able to show that the velocity of the upper end of the rod has a component perpendicular to the wedge hypotenuse equal to Vcos(30), where V is the velocity of the wedge.

Likes 1 person