Finding the stream function given velocity components

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the stream function for a steady, incompressible 2-D flow field with velocity components u = 2y and v = 4x. The conversation includes an attempt at a solution using the equations u = ∂Ψ/∂y and v = -∂Ψ/∂x, and verifying conservation of mass. The final stream function is determined to be Ψ = -2x2 + y2, which differs from the book's answer. The conversation ends with a question about whether or not the solution is correct.
Quinn Pochekailo

Homework Statement

The velocity components in a steady, incompressible, 2-D flow field are

u = 2y
v = 4x

Find the corresponding stream function.

Homework Equations

u = ∂Ψ/∂y
v = -∂Ψ/∂x

The Attempt at a Solution

I can verify that a stream function exists for this problem because conservation of mass is satisfied. (∂u/∂x + ∂v/∂y = 0)

After plugging in my values for u and v, I get that Ψ = y2 + f(x) and Ψ = -2x2 + f(y).

I then equate the 2 equations to give me f(x) + y2 = -2x2 + f(y).

I then set f(y) to 0, to give me that f(x) = -2x2 - y2.

I then put f(x) back into my original Ψ equation to give me that Ψ = -2x2 and this is the function that I get for my stream function.

However, my book is telling me that Ψ = -2x2 + y2 should be my stream function.

Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take the partial derivatives of your stream function, do you get the correct velocities?

What is a stream function?

A stream function is a mathematical function used to describe fluid flow in two-dimensional systems. It is defined as the ratio of the fluid velocity components in the x and y directions, and its contour lines represent the streamlines of the flow.

Why is it useful to find the stream function given velocity components?

Finding the stream function allows us to visualize and analyze fluid flow in a simple and efficient way. It also helps in solving problems related to flow separation, circulation, and vorticity.

How do you find the stream function given velocity components?

The stream function can be found by solving the continuity equation, which relates the divergence of velocity to the stream function. It can also be found by using the Laplace equation, which relates the stream function to the velocity components.

What are the assumptions made when finding the stream function given velocity components?

The main assumption is that the fluid flow is two-dimensional and incompressible. Additionally, the flow must be steady, and the fluid properties must remain constant.

Can the stream function be used for three-dimensional flow?

No, the stream function is only applicable for two-dimensional flow. For three-dimensional flow, other methods such as the vorticity-stream function formulation or the Navier-Stokes equations must be used.