Problem with plotting a function in MATLAB

In summary, the code does not output correct when i input a vector. The function might not be able to handle a vector input.
diredragon

Homework Statement

Write code for solving the integral ##\int_{0}^{x}e^{-t^2}dx## using simpsons method and then plot the function from ##x = 0## to ##x = 5## with ##0.1## increment.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I was told that the best way to plot the function is to write it in Matlab so i decided to give it a go since i haven't really worked in MATLAB before.This is my integral solution code:
Matlab:
function y = simpson_method(x)

y1 = exp(-0.^2);
y2 = exp(-(x).^2);

c = 0;
d = 0;
incr = 0.1;

for i = 1 : (x - 0)/incr - 0.5

y = exp(-(0 + i*incr).^2);

if i/2 == floor(i/2)

d = d + y;
        continue
    else
        c = c + y;
        continue
    end
end

y = incr/3 * (y1 + 4*c + 2*d + y2);
and the plot code:
Matlab:
x = 0:0.1:15;
y = simpson_method(x);
plot(x,y)
But the output plot is wrong and looks like this:

plot.JPG

Which is weird since the function i wrote gives correct values at all points. What is wrong here?

Attachments

• plot.JPG
    plot.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to check whether or not your function gives the correct output when you feed it a vector of several points to evaluate it at.

Orodruin said:
You might want to check whether or not your function gives the correct output when you feed it a vector of several points to evaluate it at.
I'm not sure how to do that on MATLAB just yet. Is there somewhere i can see examples of that?

That is what you are doing when you first write x = 0:9.1:15 and then function(x). You are passing a vector as argument and your function needs to be able to handle that.

Orodruin said:
That is what you are doing when you first write x = 0:9.1:15 and then function(x). You are passing a vector as argument and your function needs to be able to handle that.
Capture.JPG

It does output wrong when i input a vector. How do i fix that in the code? How to make a function able to handle a vector?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 471
You should take a close look at your function. Notice that y1 is always 1. Is that what you want in the last equation for y? I recommend that you simplify the function, add comments to keep it clear, and do not use the variable y inside the loop.

FactChecker said:
You should take a close look at your function. Notice that y1 is always 1. Is that what you want in the last equation for y? I recommend that you simplify the function, add comments to keep it clear, and do not use the variable y inside the loop.
I made all the corrections and it's still outputting wrong when i feed it a vector like before.
Matlab:
function y = simpson_method(x)  %function which i integrate is e^(-x^2)
 yn = exp(-(x).^2);                    %I am using the simpsons method which calculates like this:
                                             %h/3*(f(0) + 4*(f1) + 2*(f(2) + 4*f(3) + ... + f(n))
c = 0;
d = 0;
h= 0.1;

for i = 1 : (x - 0)/h - 0.5                 %summing the parts of the function

f = exp(-(0 + i*h).^2);                %calculating f(i*h)

if i/2 == floor(i/2)                   %checking whether it's even or odd i and adding it to the sum

d = d + f;
        continue
    else
        c = c + f;
        continue
    end
end

y = h3 * (1+ 4*c + 2*d + yn);         %summing all the parts and return the integral
It has to be that it can't handle a vector but I am not sure how to fix that.

diredragon said:
for i = 1 : (x - 0)/h - 0.5 %summing the parts of the function
What do you think this line does?

Edit: I also strongly advice against using i as a variable. It should be reserved for the imaginary unit.

Orodruin said:
What do you think this line does?
This line is a for loop which increases i from 1 to x/n which is a number of sub-intervals. The -0.5 was added as it does not output correct when i simply write x/n

But the x you input is a vector!

Likes diredragon
Orodruin said:
But the x you input is a vector!
Oh i see it now, can't use x. Does it also pose a problem in the definition of yn? Also do i now need somehow to state that only one element at a time from x is used in the loop. How do i do that?

Last edited:

1. What is the correct syntax for plotting a function in MATLAB?

The correct syntax for plotting a function in MATLAB is plot(x,y), where x represents the input values and y represents the output values. If the function has multiple input or output variables, they can be represented as arrays.

2. How do I change the color or style of the plot in MATLAB?

You can change the color or style of the plot by specifying additional parameters in the plot() function. For example, plot(x,y,'r--') will plot a red dashed line. The available colors and styles can be found in the MATLAB documentation for the plot() function.

3. Can I plot multiple functions on the same graph in MATLAB?

Yes, you can plot multiple functions on the same graph in MATLAB by using the hold on command. This will allow you to plot multiple functions without erasing the previous one. Don't forget to use the hold off command when you are finished plotting all of your functions.

4. How can I add labels and a title to my plot in MATLAB?

You can add labels and a title to your plot by using the xlabel(), ylabel(), and title() functions. For example, xlabel('x-axis label') will add a label to the x-axis with the specified text.

5. How do I save my plot as an image file in MATLAB?

To save your plot as an image file in MATLAB, you can use the saveas() function. This function takes two arguments: the handle of the plot you want to save and the file name with the desired file extension. For example, saveas(gcf,'myplot.png') will save the current figure as a PNG image file.