Finding the Sum of a Series with Justification | 3 + 2 + 4/3 + 8/9 + 16/27 + ...

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of a series and provides a method for solving it by rewriting the terms as a geometric series. The series is a geometric series with ratio 2/3 and first term 3. It also mentions the familiarity with geometric and arithmetic series in the textbook.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the sereis 3 + 2 + 4/3 + 8/9 + 16/27 + ... and provide justification for your work.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first thought that this was true

inf
sigma 2^k/3^(k-1)
k=0

This would be the correct series if we let the first term given in the series, given in the statement problem be the zeroth term and so on. I however had no idea how to find the sum of this series because of the different powers that occur in the numerator and denominator... thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: write 3k-1 as (3k)(3-1).

ehild

*bangs head into desk* lol thanks

Not mentioned above is the fact that your series is a geometric series with ratio r = 2/3 and first term a = 3. Your text probably presented geometric series and arithmetic series before going on to other types of series.

Ya my text does and you I figured this problem out and couldn't believe that I didn't see that

Related to Finding the Sum of a Series with Justification | 3 + 2 + 4/3 + 8/9 + 16/27 + ...

1. What is a series and how is it different from a sequence?

A series is a sum of terms in a sequence, whereas a sequence is an ordered list of numbers. In other words, a series is the result of adding all the terms of a sequence together.

2. What is the justification for finding the sum of this series?

The justification for finding the sum of this series is based on the mathematical concept of convergence. If the terms of a series approach a fixed value as the number of terms increases, then the sum of the series can be calculated using a certain formula. In this case, the series is known as a geometric series and can be calculated using the formula S = a/(1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

3. Can this series be simplified?

Yes, this series can be simplified by rewriting it as 3 + (2 + 4/3 + 8/9 + 16/27 + ...). This is known as regrouping or rearranging the terms of the series. By doing this, we can see that the series is a sum of two geometric series with different first terms and common ratios.

4. How can I find the sum of this series?

To find the sum of this series, you can use the formula S = a/(1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. In this case, the first term is 3 and the common ratio is 2/3. Therefore, the sum of the series is S = 3/(1-2/3) = 9.

5. What is the significance of finding the sum of this series?

Finding the sum of this series can help us understand the behavior and properties of geometric series. It also has practical applications in various fields such as finance, physics, and computer science. Additionally, understanding how to find the sum of a series can help us solve more complex mathematical problems involving series and sequences.